Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Qb78 or Xisico XS60C?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:18 pm 

Wanting to buy one of the two of these guns, in .22, to use with hpa (probably a bottle attached like a qb79, by cutting tube and putting drop block on). Scopesandammo.com has the repeater magazines for the QB for $100 and others sell the repeater breech for several hundred. The Xisico can be modified to use the marauder magazine I believe, I see Bob Sterne has done this. I don't have a mill so I'd have to find someone to do that for me, probably another $100 or more. Some of you have both or have had both. Which do you prefer? Which makes a nice efficient 750fps gun, or are they both just as good?
I like the look of the Xisico personally but the QB is nice as well, so kind of undecided.
Thanks for your advice ahead of time!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:38 pm 

There is the option of a hpa tube for both as well, so that is another option. Great modder's guns!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:54 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

By the sounds of it, you might be better off starting with a different platform. If you start to add up all the costs of modifying a QB with drop block, repeating mag. etc., it will get expensive. If your end goal is PCP, why not start there?

The QB is great, everyone should have a bunch. The XS60C is a nice looking gun, though they have a history of problems with the front cap leaking. Or so I've read, never owned one.

The HPA tube for the QB has been on my want list for some time. The only person I know that makes them is pretty busy with other projects and life. Hopefully he makes another batch in the near future.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:10 am 

Thanks for commenting, you're probably right about being almost as cheap to get a pcp. I guess part of the fun for me is the modding, almost get as much fun from that as shooting. Does get expensive though!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:18 am 

I know innovativemachining.ca is designing a pcp tube for the qb78, so that'll be interesting to see his work and prices once he's done.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:09 am 

If you wanted a regulated, bottle fed QB/AR ‘78.…instead of cutting the tube for a drop block, another option would be to leave the factory tube full length (less work, more plenum volume) & contact forum member “Jezx” about making a tank block for you. I have a couple of Collin’s blocks for the 22xx series & he does excellent work. His blocks also allow you the option of having the bottle sticking straight out (like a QB79) or reversed so bottle sits below tube making for a surprisingly comfortable forestock.

The factory tube will be plenty strong enough as long as you stay in the 1200-1500 psi range. Just make sure regulator has a 1.8k burst disc in place in case of a regulator failure.

Everything you need to know to tune her up:

topic56312-15.html

Pic of some of Collin’s blocks (bottom 3 are for the QB/AR series):

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:08 am 

Thanks very much!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:10 am 

I think that must be the wrong topic link? It just goes to a 2005 comment about the new forum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:35 am 

Not sure why....comes up fine for me (starts on page 2 tho :roll: ) .

Could be the prehistoric desktop I still have.... :rolleyes:

Just tried posting again & it seems to work (for me)....even starts on first page this time 'round!
topic56312.html

If link not working for you, just search for "QB79 Ninja - The $200 PCP" by Rsterne....excellent article to get you there... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:53 am 

Were you able to safely fill your 22xx tube to 1500psi? I heard someone had warned about the stamp on the side being a weak point for hpa? If it's good up to 1500psi that would be a nice option as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:39 pm 

Went through the QB family from the bottom up.

I think the AR-20-78 would be a great starting point. I fell in love with the ergonomics of the big heavy target stock, but that's just a matter of personal preference. It comes with an entry level competition sight set- peep rear and globe front.

The bottle may be a good idea for this gun. I was getting + 950's with the jsb heavies @ 1100 psi on a severely hogged valve. Only downside to that was the near coil bound hammer spring it took to get there.

Other downside is getting an RVA on the gun means converting to cock on opening- which I don't really like, because it limits what can be done with the hammer spring. I vaguely remember a shortened hammer fall stroke....

Current set up is a 3 K tube with bone stock valve. I'm getting 16 shots on a flat string at mid 700's on a 3 K fill with the aforementioned .22 heavies. I did have to go to a delrin valve stem. The seal on the factory stem is far too soft. I even had trouble with that stem at 1100 psi.
The other fly is the stock transfer port sleeve- soft mush that should be replaced from the get-go, even if you don't plan on modding. Ice maker poly tubing is a good start. Milling a flat on the valve at the t/p hole with a 1/4" mill cutter will save a lot of aggravation when it comes to frequent tear downs of the gun...

I just can't bring myself to hang a bottle on a gun- which is kind of a sore point. It's the cheaper performance route, yes, BUT!!!

Bleah! Just a turn off for me- all a matter of personal preference...

-D.S.

Last edited by Doc Sharptail on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:48 pm 

Thanks! I hear you on the turn off of the bottle, doesn't look great, at least not nearly as nice as a tube. Those heavies must take quite a bit of power to get moving if you only get that many shots on the 3000psi tube. I like those AR stocks too! Too bad they add an extra $100 to the price.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:58 pm 

I did try with a slightly cut up valve, and lost in the shot count dept. by doing so. A full length 3k tube is still sort of limited volume, when it comes to power mods. That's where the bottle has the advantage....
I think if I remember correctly, the AR bbls are a bit heavier than the standard QB. Mine is very accurate...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:54 pm 

Nice! Maybe I should look at a ar2079 if I can find one in 22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:43 am 

I have both rifles, and if you plan on staying on CO2, I'd recommend the QB/AR platform. I have have no experience with HPA, so I can't speak about results on conversion.