Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: HW97, 177 or 22?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:19 pm 

I have finally decided to buy a Hw97. (pal) but I'm on the fence for which caliber . I currently have a few non pal springers rifles (Chinese) and 3 pistols all in 177 that I shoot in the basement. I don't have my hunting license but plan to get it. So far all I shoot is paper, plink and field target (at home so far) . I'm leaning towards the 22 for hunting but no idea how suitable that is for field target. Or if 177 is the better one for field target then maybe I can wait to hunt when I eventually get a pcp in 25. Hunting for me would be squirrels and maybe rabbit.
Thanks for any help
Brian

Post subject: Re: HW97, 177 or 22?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:03 pm 

If you're interested in field target, .177 is the caliber to get. As a PAL rifle it is quite adequate for small game such as rabbit and squirrel. Over in the U.K. most hunters use 12 foot pound air rifles for hunting rabbit as that is the legal limit without a U.K. firearms permit. The key is shot placement. The PAL rated air rifles here in .177 are around 14-15 foot pounds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:36 pm 

Great gun, either caliber. 22 will hit harder and stand up to wind better. 177 is faster. Both will do what you want.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:40 am 

My HW97 in .177 really likes a variety of pellets. The Predators are wonderful on ground squirrels - out to 56 yards so far. The rifle also shoots Cometa 8.4's and several of the match flat noses, right to 20yards.
It runs 890fps with 8gr. down to 830fps with the 10's. Nice, flat shooting rifle. So accurate, fun to shoot. A good 14fpe rifle.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:33 pm 

As mentioned, .177 is the way to go if you want to do field target. Many of my friends have been doing exceptionally well with the HW97 in .177, even against the guys with high-end PCP guns. I got myself an HW97KT a year ago, just for field target and put a really nice Hawke Airmax 30 side focus scope on it. Incredibly accurate gun. But unfortunately it was really too much gun for me, at my age and physique. I just wasn't able to hold it comfortably in the field target sitting position in spite of all my efforts. But that's not the fault of the gun. Rested, it was one heck of an accurate shooter, and with a Jim Maccari kit installed, real smooth and consistent.

I ended up selling it and getting myself a nice PCP... the Air Arms S400 MPR FT, and again for my age and physique, I can hold it VERY steady in the sitting position most often used for field target.

For squirrels, the .177 is just fine. And probably for rabbits also. I've even taken several nuisance raccoons with it. But shot placement is crucial. I'm really not a hunter, just a bit of cleaning up on my large riverside property. And for that I've actually added a .22 Weihrauch HW50S which is pretty outstanding. But not suitable for field target. At my usual shooting distance of about 25 meters, it does really well on the squirrels, with shot placement being a little less critical than the .177. The .177 if you're not careful, often goes right through the animal without doing much more than seriously injuring the animal, and that's not nice.

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:19 pm 

I like to error on the side of over kill when it comes to hunting , and that is a .22 for anything up to rabbits and a .25 for any thing bigger should add rabbits here also.
.177 for just targets is a fine choice and really small animals.
Hunting !! it is all fine and dandy to talk shot placement with a .177 however we all know bad shots are taken which leads to a slow death and hunter never finding the animal.
Go with .22 with shot placement and mistakes being a little less critical than the .177
I tried hunting with a .177 and IMO just not good enough for fast humane kills.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:05 pm 

Enough said....

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... uelty-case

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:34 pm 

I haven't had any issues hunting with .177. It will take both rabbits and grouse humanely, with-in reasonable a/g distances.

In my book, 25 yds is really pushing it for an a/g of any caliber or power level. That is me and my personal experience. I learned to pass up on the questionable shots, and seldom come home empty handed.... Shot placement, range estimation, wind etc. all have to be considered- before even shouldering the gun... close is good- closer even better... and that applies to .22 as well.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:11 am 

Thanks for the replies. As I haven't read much support for Shooting FT with a 22 and I don't hunt (yet) I guess the easy answer will be to get the 177 now and purchase a different caliber to hunt with later. I do have a few rim fire in 22 but my first thoughts when I got back into airguns was "I need a 25 Cal pcp" . Now I think the need is just a want and I can wait a while longer for hunting. (not sure where that rational thought came from)
Buying a new gun was so much easier when the choices were mostly, what's the hardware store got that I could afford. I still have that air rifle from 40 some odd years ago and it still kinda shoots.
Thanks again for help, I learn a lot here
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:13 am 

Sounds like a solid plan to me. :wink:
Big advantage of a .177 is bullet drop is less that a .22 Bad part is .177 is more effect by wind drift
And then you get the fun of buying a .22 if and when you want to use it for hunting :ANAL: