Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:12 pm 

Hello everyone,

I recieved my new Crosman 2240 about a week ago and have been shooting it at about 3 meters. I am VERY pleased with the accuracy at this distance, albeit quite short. I can obliterate the bull's eye with 5 shots at 3 meters. I am not going to shoot it at any farther than about 7-8 meters due to space restrictions. I am sure the stock 2240 would do fine at this but I would still like to optimize it to my specific wishes, just for the fun of it. By that I have a few modifictions in mind that I would like to share with you ang get your advice on. By the way, I hope you guys and girls don't mind having a non-Candadian on the forum. I am from Holland. I think I remember reading that Canada uses the metric system but I'm not quite sure, so please respond using any kind of measurements and terminology that you are comfortable with.

Edited by under500fps

I have quite a long list of questions. Please don't hesitate to respond if you can pitch in on only one, any advice is greatly appreciated.

First a few general questions before I get into the modding part:

1. I am used to shooting air rifles (I have a CZ Slavia 631), and not so much pistols. My left eye is dominant so with rifles I have to close my left eye because it's hard for me to focus on the right eye's image without closing the left. With pistols (my friend's Webley Tempest and my 2240) I have found myself shooting with my left eye instead witho[/color]ut closing my right eye. Is this acceptable technique or does it mess up my stance or something?

2. Is it harmful to the gun to cock it and pull the trigger without charging or loading it, as it is harmful to shoot springers without a pellet? I've been assuming it isn't and I've been doing it a lot to practice my trigger pull, but I'm asking just in case.

Now for the modding, a huge part of the reason why I bought this gun.

3. Edited by under500fps

4. Edited by under500fps

5. If I buy the Weihrauch, I plan on installing this adapter:
Will this cause any changes in accuracy if I leave it on without the silencer?

6. As I want to be able to shoot without the silencer attached, I will need front sights on this adapter. I know of one solution, which is to use a longer set screw in the adapter. But preferably I would like to have one of those transparent green sticks as my front sight. There is a metal workshop on my street. I haven't gone in to ask yet, but maybe some of you know more about what kind of equipment a metal workshop typically has. Do you think they would be able to make me something from scratch that I can mount on top of the adapter and place a one of those green sticks in? Would they be able to blue it to match the color of the gun?

7. Internals: I would like to make this gun shoot as fast as possible with a 7.5" barrel without wasting any CO2. As I understand it, the CO2 valve stays open for too long in the stock 2240 which lets out too much gas resulting in wasted CO2 and the notoriously loud pop when firing. I've found three common mods changing the flow of CO2. (1) Changing the hammer spring, (2) installing a power adjuster, (3) changing the angle of the link between the barrel and the CO2 valve to 45 degrees instead of 90. Which of these mods, and/or others, would you recommend for my situation? I've read conflicting reports of the effectiveness of the hammer spring mod and the power adjuster, especially in conjunction with each other. One thing that makes it hard for me to find an answer to this is that most people looking for more power change the length of their barrel, which I don't want to do. I want to keep the gun compact, as it's already going to be quite long with the silencer. I want maximum power and efficiency of CO2 use with a stock barrel, maybe down the line even a shortened one. I have no budget limits for this gun. Not because I'm rich, just because I'm patient and it's fine if it takes years to build.

8. I've read that installing a long steel breech may affect accuracy and even velocity, is this true?

9. I think I've also read that the main tube of the 2250 doesn't have the stamping with the safety cautions on it, and is interchangeable with the 2240. Is this true?

10. I think I've seen kits for 2-stage triggers. Do you think this is worth the effort? Also, I've seen lots of pictures with brass triggers. Exactly the same trigger except in brass. Are these all custom or did Crosman use to make them that way? I'm going to make mine black with brass accents and wooden grips, so a brass trigger would be nice.

11. Does anyone know of some dark colored (preferably slightly reddish) wooden grips, WITH checkering?

12. Does anyone know of a straight-pull bolt system for the 2240? Small thing, but I would rather only have to pull the bolt back rather than up and back, I feel that would suit a pistol better.

13. I'm looking at this rear sight:
I'm sure many of you know it, it's offered on the custom Crosman webshop. I like the fact that it's rather small compared to the other sights offered by Crosman, and I like the white dots, would especially like that together with the green front sight. Does anyone know of any other similar alternatives which may be better?

Well, that's all I could come up with for now. I know that some answers can be found by using google, and I have already done a LOT of reading even before recieving the pistol in the mail. But I've found myself somewhat lost in the enormous amount of information. I've also noticed that lots of times, changing one thing has an effect on another thing, such as the silencer remocing the front sight or the conjunction between hammer spring mods and power adjusters. That's why I thought it would be good to make a thread specific to my situation to guide me as I customize my 2240. I'm not expecting all of these anwers to be answered very quickly, but I'm very much looking forward to reading your thoughts.

PS: For those interested, here are some of the plans I have for this which I didn't have any questions about. I plan to keep this gun as modular as possible, being able to shoot it as a simple pistol with open sights, or with accesories such as a red dot sight, laser mounted on the trigger guard and a silencer. I want none of these to be required for one another, hence the questions about the front sight on the silencer adapter and the rear sight, even though I will buy a red dot sight as well. I will also use brass caps on the front and back sides of the main tube where you place the CO2 (maybe a power adjuster on the back end, but it would have to be brass), a brass safety pin, brass screws in the grips, the bolt will stay brass but may be changed to a different shape, and maybe a brass barrel band but I don't think so, I think that would probably be too much for brass accents. The trigger will probably be brass as well, maybe with a black trigger shoe, I think that might look good.

Happy shooting!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:25 pm 

Welcome to the forum, Dutch; we have members from around the world, and we welcome your contributions and queries. However, I must inform you that silencers are absolutely forbidden in Canada (yeh, I know, we're still trying to figure it out ourselves). So, as a Canadian forum, posts about such hardware are also forbidden. Of course, what you discuss in private messages is normally of no concern to others.

Fear not, for we understand your lack of familiarity with our laws. Just understand that any helpful responses to a few of your questions might lead to your post being shut down, at the very least. So, I doubt you'll get much help on that topic. You might want to remove silencer references to keep your post in safe mode.

Once again, welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:50 pm 

Thank you for the heads up, and for the understanding! So for everyone reading, scrap the questions about the silencer. I suppose the question about mounting front sights on the silencer adapter would be ok, but maybe it's a good to send me a PM if anyone can answer that question for me. I'm no expert on Canadian law of course but maybe there's some law about any advice regarding silencer adapters counting as enabling illegal use of a silencer or something, and I would hate to cause legal problems for the forum.

Edit: I would think probably the reason why silencers are illegal for air guns is because law makers haven't considered this so specifically. There are quite obvious reasons for making them illegal for firearms but those don't really apply to air guns. Maybe it's a good idea to organize something on the forum to find the right people to contact and ask them to consider changing that law. Dutch people got imitation airsoft guns to be legal under some circumstances that way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:02 pm 

Regarding the front sight, I Know tha you can get threaded adapters like that with a sight pin on it. Like this one, but it's not black http://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/muzz ... t-pin.html

The 2250 tube is interchangeable but it' a little bit longer so you need a piercing cap with an extension.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:07 pm 

Hi Dutch. You might want to post any relevant laws you have to face in Holland with regards to airguns/pistols. Such as any maximum velocity or maximum energy or barrel lengths for pistols etc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:08 pm 

Pretty much what Murray said. Moderators, TKO, Silencers are 100% prohib here. Discussion even if your in another country can get you kicked off here. If you want to talk about them you need to goto another airgun site ( GTA or another ) But they also don't like the discussion on how to build them.

#1. I shoot both eyes open. I find it just less strain on my eyes. But its not normal to see a right hand left eye dominant. Whatever works for you.

#2. Not really going to harm the gun.

#3. No Comment since they're Illegal here.

#4. No Comment.

#5 Nothing illegal about having a threaded barrel and from what Ive seen having firearms with threaded muzzles or muzzle brakes. A slight change if there's a extended muzzle devise. AKA a fake can.

#6. You can always glue a front sight on it. Or do what your planning longer grub screw.

#7. Having a 2260 ( longer 2240 ) a spring and a PA is basically the same thing.. Just a PA allows you to adjust and lessen the tension on the spring. Where a spring doesn't w/o clipping off coils. Or adding more preload. You can angle the exhaust port and shave down the stem. More flow the better.

But in Canada a 2240 is classified as a pistol and over 500 FPS they become a restricted firearm. Thats why I build 2260's. A 2240 with a longer tube and thus a rifle.

#8 steel breech secures the barrel better giving it better accuracy also it seals better making the Co2 leak less.

#9 Your not going to exceed the pressures with Co2 to worry about the stamping. Its interchangeable same as a 2260, minus a slightly longer piercing knob. But it's a waste of money for a maintube a inch longer and still a pistol.

#10. Crosman used to come with brass triggers but they were nothing special. Now they come with a black one with a slightly wider pad. Still the same as they made them 20 years ago. Skinny and cut into your finger. Triggers always help accuracy I find.

#11. Crosman are the lego of the airgun world. So much you can do.

#12. No straight pull. Back in the 70's they made a sliding breech and a rear cocker pumper pistol. But its pretty annoying to use. Esp when the breech wears out and doesn't seal well.

#13. I find the LPA sight over priced for what its is.

But welcome to CAF.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:18 pm 

Dutch wrote:
Thank you for the heads up, and for the understanding! So for everyone reading, scrap the questions about the silencer. I suppose the question about mounting front sights on the silencer adapter would be ok, but maybe it's a good to send me a PM if anyone can answer that question for me. I'm no expert on Canadian law of course but maybe there's some law about any advice regarding silencer adapters counting as enabling illegal use of a silencer or something, and I would hate to cause legal problems for the forum.

Edit: I would think probably the reason why silencers are illegal for air guns is because law makers haven't considered this so specifically. There are quite obvious reasons for making them illegal for firearms but those don't really apply to air guns. Maybe it's a good idea to organize something on the forum to find the right people to contact and ask them to consider changing that law. Dutch people got imitation airsoft guns to be legal under some circumstances that way.

From an individual standpoint, the process of discussion is certainly not an issue; however, the forum owner in no way wants to harbor discussions about anything that is illegal in Canada. It took, for example, a couple of years before discussion on air gun modding was acceptable, simply because modding seemingly implied illegal activity in those days. We're far beyond that now.

I can advise you there is an active member on the forum who goes by the handle of chevota. He's a very knowledgeable air gunner who lives in California. I'm sure that if you sent him a PM, he would be happy to help you with your silencer questions.

And you're right; change doesn't happen by itself. We're far too "wait-and-see" in this part of the world.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:23 pm 

Dutch wrote:

They're illegal in general. Called a Prohibited device in the criminal code. Also criminal code considers airguns firearms. We have a sound moderator petition going on for firearms and a MP to read it out in June. But I highly doubt its going to pass.

Anyhoo..

Threaded adapters are not illegal. Some people install air strippers, fake cans on it, or muzzle brakes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:21 pm 

cottontail wrote:
Regarding the front sight, I Know tha you can get threaded adapters like that with a sight pin on it. Like this one, but it's not black http://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/muzz ... t-pin.html

The 2250 tube is interchangeable but it' a little bit longer so you need a piercing cap with an extension.

I've found those adapters. I've seen them in black too, but they're harder to find. But I need one that has a cap on the end to use when I don't have anything screwed on there, I hate the look of the threading exposed. Preferably though I would have the green front sight. Maybe I can use this, and cut it off and glue it onto the adapter as leadslinger suggested:
https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Custom-F ... B00EWRFU3O

However, if I could really be a picky guy, I would have something out of metal made to hold the fibre optic stick. I have something in mind, a design where the fibre optic stick isn't visible from the side. Like a little tube that it sits in, with the top cut open because I think the stick probably needs some ambient light to create the kind of glowing effect. I'm unsure if this is a really weird thing to ask for in the metal workshop and if it's even something they would want to spend their time on, and whether they could even do it and blue it there.

As for the tube, I got it mixed up. I meant the 2300t tube. Is it the same length? It doesn't seem to have the stamping from pictures I've looked at.

lleader wrote:
Hi Dutch. You might want to post any relevant laws you have to face in Holland with regards to airguns/pistols. Such as any maximum velocity or maximum energy or barrel lengths for pistols etc.

There are very few laws regarding airguns. No difference between rifles and pistols, no maximum velocity/energy. The only law about the gun itself is that it can't look too much like any particular firearm. Laws surrounding their use also exist of course, but if you're just shooting it in your house or garden it's fine.

leadslinger wrote:
Pretty much what Murray said. Moderators, TKO, Silencers are 100% prohib here. Discussion even if your in another country can get you kicked off here. If you want to talk about them you need to goto another airgun site ( GTA or another ) But they also don't like the discussion on how to build them.

#1. I shoot both eyes open. I find it just less strain on my eyes. But its not normal to see a right hand left eye dominant. Whatever works for you.

#2. Not really going to harm the gun.

#3. No Comment since they're Illegal here.

#4. No Comment.

#5 Nothing illegal about having a threaded barrel and from what Ive seen having firearms with threaded muzzles or muzzle brakes. A slight change if there's a extended muzzle devise. AKA a fake can.

#6. You can always glue a front sight on it. Or do what your planning longer grub screw.

#7. Having a 2260 ( longer 2240 ) a spring and a PA is basically the same thing.. Just a PA allows you to adjust and lessen the tension on the spring. Where a spring doesn't w/o clipping off coils. Or adding more preload. You can angle the exhaust port and shave down the stem. More flow the better.

But in Canada a 2240 is classified as a pistol and over 500 FPS they become a restricted firearm. Thats why I build 2260's. A 2240 with a longer tube and thus a rifle.

#8 steel breech secures the barrel better giving it better accuracy also it seals better making the Co2 leak less.

#9 Your not going to exceed the pressures with Co2 to worry about the stamping. Its interchangeable same as a 2260, minus a slightly longer piercing knob. But it's a waste of money for a maintube a inch longer and still a pistol.

#10. Crosman used to come with brass triggers but they were nothing special. Now they come with a black one with a slightly wider pad. Still the same as they made them 20 years ago. Skinny and cut into your finger. Triggers always help accuracy I find.

#11. Crosman are the lego of the airgun world. So much you can do.

#12. No straight pull. Back in the 70's they made a sliding breech and a rear cocker pumper pistol. But its pretty annoying to use. Esp when the breech wears out and doesn't seal well.

#13. I find the LPA sight over priced for what its is.

But welcome to CAF.

I'll find info about silencers in other places. :)

1. That's me, left eye dominant and right handed. I know some people who are right handed but are better at soccer with their left foot. It's quite annoying to be left eye dominant when shooting rifles. It does strain and become annoying to keep your left eye closed, so I've even gone so far as to wear an eye patch in long shooting sessions. :roll:

5. A slight change in what sense?

6. A brass grub screw might be nice, would be a nice accent with other brass parts, and I find it very annoying that my front sight is black and my target is black as well. Design flaw in my RAM targets papers IMO, the bull's eye should have been white.

7. If I've understood correctly, the way a hammer spring mod works is that it increases or decreases the amount of time the valve stays open, correct? So if the gun lets out too much CO2 every time now and causes it to spill some, does that mean that I should make the valve stay open for a shorter amount of time? Would I need a stronger or weaker spring for that? Is there any way to get both a small increase in power, as well as an increase of shots per CO2 capsule? Or is the only thing I can do with a stock barrel to increase the amount of shots?

Also, I think I've read about something that stops the hammer from bouncing back when shooting, I think it was meant to increase efficient use of CO2 by not letting any escape when the hammer bounces back. Do you know what this is called and is it any good?

8. So it seals off the part between the probe and the barrel better than the stock plastic breech? That's pretty cool.

9. The only reason I would potentially want this (it's quite low on the list) is to remove the stamping with the safety warning. I was a little confused, I meant the 2300t tube. As far as I can tell it doesn't have this stamping.

10. Yep, the trigger does cut into my finger. I do find that the trigger is slightly smoother now than when I first got it. I do find it to be light enough, I would probably like it to be a bit more predictable without the small amount of creep in it at the beginning. do you think buying a trigger mod is noticeably better than just polishing the contact points a little on the stock trigger? Also, do you (or anyone else) know of any trigger that is a little wider and maybe a bit further to the front, without using a trigger shoe?

12. Yeah, I didn't consider that the bolt has to be stuck in place when firing, or it would probably be pushed back by the CO2.

13. Do you know of any good alternatives? I do like the stock sights and how they convert into a peep sight. I might put in some effort to fit them on a steel breech, and paint white dots on them.

Edmonton<500 wrote:

From an individual standpoint, the process of discussion is certainly not an issue; however, the forum owner in no way wants to harbor discussions about anything that is illegal in Canada. It took, for example, a couple of years before discussion on air gun modding was acceptable, simply because modding seemingly implied illegal activity in those days. We're far beyond that now.

I can advise you there is an active member on the forum who goes by the handle of chevota. He's a very knowledgeable air gunner who lives in California. I'm sure that if you sent him a PM, he would be happy to help you with your silencer questions.

And you're right; change doesn't happen by itself. We're far too "wait-and-see" in this part of the world.

Edited by under500fps

leadslinger wrote:
They're illegal in general. Called a Prohibited device in the criminal code. Also criminal code considers airguns firearms. We have a sound moderator petition going on for firearms and a MP to read it out in June. But I highly doubt its going to pass.

Anyhoo..

Threaded adapters are not illegal. Some people install air strippers, fake cans on it, or muzzle brakes.

Just out of curiosity, and let me know if I'm talking about this too much, but what does the law specifially say? The reason I'm wondering is because it seems to me that they would have to go out of their way to purposefully word it in such a way that it includes airgun silencers. For example, if they describe a silencer as a device for silencing a firearm, then I would think an airgun silencer wouldn't count because it's made from materials that would burn up if used on a firearm. Did they just make silencers for guns in general illegal?
Edited by under500fps

Edit: Had some trouble understanding the sentence about the criminal code regarding airguns as firearms. That's kind of strange, because they're not. Do you need a licence to own an airgun?

I can't seem to edit my original post to remove the references to silencers, if a mod comes along and reads this please feel free to do it for me if I've said anything too specific.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:28 am 

Dutch wrote:
Do you need a licence to own an airgun?

The answer to that is 'maybe'.

In Canada, if an airgun, either rifle or pistol, shoots at less than 500 feet per second (there is an energy factor as well, but for simplicity it can be disregarded) then it does not require a licence. If an air rifle shoots at greater than 500 fps it requires the same licence here as required for any normal powder burning rifle. It is called a Possession And Acquisition licence (PAL). You have to take a course and pass a test. If an air pistol shoots over 500 fps its a whole other ball of wax. The licence required for it is called a Restricted Possession And Acquisition licence (RPAL). This is the same as for any normal powder burning pistol, such as a .45, 357 Magnum, or .50 Desert Eagle. You have to get permission to buy it, permission to transport it anywhere, you can only shoot it at a registered range, permission to take it there. You can't even shoot it on your own property.

As for info on moderators, you should seek out a British forum, such as http://umarexboysclubforum.myfineforum.org/index.php. They are allowed there and greatly loved.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:55 pm 

lleader wrote:
Dutch wrote:
Do you need a licence to own an airgun?

The answer to that is 'maybe'.

In Canada, if an airgun, either rifle or pistol, shoots at less than 500 feet per second (there is an energy factor as well, but for simplicity it can be disregarded) then it does not require a licence. If an air rifle shoots at greater than 500 fps it requires the same licence here as required for any normal powder burning rifle. It is called a Possession And Acquisition licence (PAL). You have to take a course and pass a test. If an air pistol shoots over 500 fps its a whole other ball of wax. The licence required for it is called a Restricted Possession And Acquisition licence (RPAL). This is the same as for any normal powder burning pistol, such as a .45, 357 Magnum, or .50 Desert Eagle. You have to get permission to buy it, permission to transport it anywhere, you can only shoot it at a registered range, permission to take it there. You can't even shoot it on your own property.

As for info on moderators, you should seek out a British forum, such as http://umarexboysclubforum.myfineforum.org/index.php. They are allowed there and greatly loved.

Well, the idea of the law sounds pretty clever as some of the high powered rifles could easily kill someone. Just the 500 fps limit seems kind of low and randomly chosen. But the challenge of getting it to shoot at just under 500 fps could be a fun aspect I suppose. I have found other places to inform about moderators, will check yours out too. Always great to find people with lots of experience.

If anyone has more thoughts on any of my questions, I would love to hear them!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:15 am 

Perhaps we should petition Ottawa to have mufflers removed from motor vehicles in the interest of public safety,so pedestrians can hear them coming? Harold

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:27 am 

Pioneer2 wrote:
Perhaps we should petition Ottawa to have mufflers removed from motor vehicles in the interest of public safety,so pedestrians can hear them coming? Harold

Please no... I live in the country where 1 in 3 cars got a broken exhaust.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:14 am 

You sir ,are only 33.3 % safe................think of the children.Harold