Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:19 am 

Interesting (and alarming) quote.... but without quoting the SOURCE of it, means nothing.... anybody could have written that.... JMO....

Where can I read it on a Canadian Government website, please?....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:48 am 

http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2015/ ... 95-eng.php

And while the government said they won't create a new "gun registry"... the small arms marking treaty says otherwise

http://www.un.org/events/smallarms2006/ ... rument.pdf

Quote:
IV. Record-keeping
11. The choice of methods for record-keeping is a national prerogative. States will ensure that accurate and comprehensive records are established for all marked small arms and light weapons within their territory and maintained in accordance with paragraph 12 below in order to enable their competent national authorities to trace illicit small arms and light weapons in a timely and reliable manner

If you dig through the UN website, they talk about how all countries that signed the treaty will have to abide by new rules and regulations voted by the gun control committee. So if the friendly folks at the UN decide that this or that make/model/calibre is to be removed from civilian ownership... we're stuck.

Look at Europe, for a taste of things to come...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:49 pm 

Penage Guy wrote:
The regulations say "2 Every individual or business that manufactures a firearm shall ensure that the firearm is marked, at the time of manufacture, in accordance with section 4."

"3 (1) Every individual, business or public service agency that imports a firearm shall ensure that the firearm is marked in accordance with section 4 before the 60th day after its release as defined in subsection 2(1) of the Customs Act or before transferring the firearm, whichever occurs first."

This doesn't prevent a firearm being marked by the manufacturer, does it? In other words, if a firearm, or a number of them, is produced for sale to/in Canada, the manufacturer would stamp "CA [and the year]" and ship them to Canada. What more would be required?

Your quotes are from two different sections. The way I understand it (even if it's not specified), is that section 2 seems to be for firearms manufactured here in Canada and they make the distinction between “manufactured” and “imported” in section 4 (1).

Section 2:
Quote:
Marking of Manufactured Firearms
2 Every individual or business that manufactures a firearm shall ensure that the firearm is marked, at the time of manufacture, in accordance with section 4.

Section 3:
Quote:
Marking of Imported Firearms
3 (1) Every individual, business or public service agency that imports a firearm shall ensure that the firearm is marked in accordance with section 4 before the 60th day after its release as defined in subsection 2(1) of the Customs Act or before transferring the firearm, whichever occurs first.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to

(a) a firearm imported by an individual under section 35 or 35.1 of the Act;

(b) a specially imported firearm;

(c) a protected firearm;

(d) a firearm that was initially exported from Canada by an individual or business if the individual or business retained ownership of the firearm while the firearm was outside Canada; or

(e) a firearm that was initially exported from Canada by a public service agency and that was retained by that agency as an agency firearm while the firearm was outside Canada.

Section 4:
Quote:
Manner of Marking
4 (1) The firearm shall be marked by permanently stamping or engraving on the firearms’s frame or receiver the word “Canada” or the letters “CA” and

(a) in the case of a manufactured firearm, the name of the manufacturer and the firearm’s serial number; and

(b) in the case of an imported firearm, the last two digits of the year of the importation.

(2) The markings shall

(a) be legible;

(b) have a depth of at least 0.076 mm and a height of at least 1.58 mm; and

(c) subject to subsection (3), be visible without the need to disassemble the firearm.

(3) In the case of an imported firearm, the Registrar, on application by the individual, business or public service agency that is importing it, shall grant the applicant an exemption from the requirement set out in paragraph (2)(c) if

(a) marking the firearm in a place that is visible only by disassembling the firearm is consistent with the current practices of the manufacturer of that model of firearm;

(b) the firearm does not provide a visible space suitable to stamp or engrave the markings;

(c) the firearm is rare;

(d) the firearm is of a value that is unusually high for that type of firearm and that value would be significantly reduced if the markings were visible without disassembly; or

(e) the firearm is imported by a business that holds a licence for the purpose of using the firearm in respect of motion picture, television, video or theatrical productions or in publishing activities.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:54 pm 

rsterne wrote:
Interesting (and alarming) quote.... but without quoting the SOURCE of it, means nothing.... anybody could have written that.... JMO....

Where can I read it on a Canadian Government website, please?....

Bob

Bob, I gave a link to the source a couple of messages up from there.

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:52 pm 

So your quote was from the website of Dennis R Young?.... :roll:

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:32 am 

rsterne wrote:
So your quote was from the website of Dennis R Young?.... :roll:

Bob

Yes Bob, it was. :) But I was offering that IN ADDITION to the other links that were already provided in this thread, and that link does quote directly from the Firearms Marking Act. If you check the links earlier in the thread, one of the government links gets you to this: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/PDF/SOR-2004-275.pdf.

All Dennis R Young has done was to quote from that.

If this comes into effect (and it looks like it will) without changes, the future for us air gunners doesn't look very encouraging. And indeed, SSSO (one of the best dealers out there) has already announced plans to leave the business, citing the financial and logistical hardships this act will cause them.

There are LOTS of results about these regulations found by a Google search. Here's one of the better ones: http://www.csaaa.org/wp-content/uploads ... ations.pdf

Of particular interest is the section about marking IMPORTED firearms.

I don't know about you, but I'm purchasing guns now which I think will do me for several years in the future, both for their availability as well as price (which by indications would be quite a bit higher in the future). And I'm not selling used guns now either, believing that if this comes to pass a predicted, the used value of guns will go up simply because of lack of availability of certain guns and higher prices of new ones.

Cheers!

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:03 am 

I don't know enough to consider myself an authority either way.... but I get really tired of the "fearmongering" by either side of the firearms issue.... Here is a quote from one of the Government links above, regarding the costs....

Quote:
The study further determined that the cost to stamp or engrave markings would be low for Canadian manufacturers and large importers (i.e. ranging from zero cost to $25 per firearm depending on when and what markings are applied), although it was not possible to determine the financial impact on individuals and small importers.

Some firearms advocates are of the view that the obligation to mark “Canada” (or “CA”) and the last two digits of the year of importation would require Canadian importers to acquire marking technology or make arrangements for another company to apply markings, with an estimated cost of $200 per firearm. However, the independent study commissioned by the Government determined a $21 increase under the same circumstances.

Make up your own minds.... it won't matter anyways what we think or do.... :roll:

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:57 am 

rsterne wrote:
I don't know enough to consider myself an authority either way.... but I get really tired of the "fearmongering" by either side of the firearms issue.... Here is a quote from one of the Government links above, regarding the costs....

Bob

Yeah... we're dealing with the same kind of bureaucracy that told us the long gun registry would only be $2 millions and E-Health would be up and running in no time, within budget... supported by politicians running deficit on budgets that will balance themselves...

If they would be so convinced about these numbers, maybe they ought to cover the full cost?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:34 am 

sillymike wrote:
rsterne wrote:

Bob

Yeah... we're dealing with the same kind of bureaucracy that told us the long gun registry would only be $2 millions and E-Health would be up and running in no time, within budget... supported by politicians running deficit on budgets that will balance themselves...

If they would be so convinced about these numbers, maybe they ought to cover the full cost?

................................. Remember rule # 1 ..................................

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:05 am 

lauchlin wrote:

................................. Remember rule # 1 ..................................

:-?
Quote:
Rule 1: Power is not only what you have, but what an opponent thinks you have. If your organization is small, hide your numbers in the dark and raise a din that will make everyone think you have many more people than you do.

Ho... wait... you're not talking about Alinsky
You mean the "other" rule #1 :wink:

Sorry about that, I thought I was still within the line!

Without being political, people might want to educate themselves on the new rules
https://unoda-web.s3-accelerate.amazona ... dule-2.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:25 pm 

What about bringing in used fire arms..Does this only apply to new?

FlyingDragon .177 xs12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:59 pm 

UN Marking Legislation is not good for us for sure, worst thing is this is not mandatory to report private small arms to the UN. Can we get away with stamping our own crafted stuff with a Letter punch set or what?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:01 pm 

Td85 wrote:
UN Marking Legislation is not good for us for sure, worst thing is this is not mandatory to report private small arms to the UN. Can we get away with stamping our own crafted stuff with a Letter punch set or what?

All home made firearms were made prior to the act, so no markings would be required :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:41 pm 

And for new builds, after June 1, 2017?.... I would assume as soon as you machine a functional receiver, you have to stamp it CA17.... I wonder what else you need to do?.... Serial Number? (always # 1, since they could be different "Models", unless you made more than one?).... Manufacturer's Name? (initials, full legal name, pseudonym, nickname, what's the deal there?).... When I was registering project long-guns, there was no such requirement, if there was no Model # and Serial # on the tube, they issued a sticker.... not done any more.... I'm thinking "Bob 1 CA17" should be good enough, in the future.... if there is no Make and Ser.No. on the "receiver".... whatever that is....

and don't tell me it's the part that holds the barrel, because the CFC use the main tube in the case of most Crosman guns, because that is where Crosman choose to put their info....

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:32 pm 

sillymike wrote:
lauchlin wrote:

:-?
Quote:
Rule 1: Power is not only what you have, but what an opponent thinks you have. If your organization is small, hide your numbers in the dark and raise a din that will make everyone think you have many more people than you do.

Ho... wait... you're not talking about Alinsky
You mean the "other" rule #1 :wink:

Sorry about that, I thought I was still within the line!

Without being political, people might want to educate themselves on the new rules
https://unoda-web.s3-accelerate.amazona ... dule-2.pdf

8)