Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Daisy 74
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:35 am 

Pew, pew, pew, pew. This thing is as much fun as everyone says it is.
Chronos 290 fps. Accurate enough to plink shotgun shells out to 15 meters. World class can roller.
Now for the best part... 248 shots on ONE co2 powerlet before I noticed any drop off. I counted.
I shot outside, +8C. I'd shoot 15-30 shots then take the gun inside to warm up while I shot my springers.
It is also so quiet, there is barely any difference in the report between 290 fps and a dry fire with no co2. (however, after 50+ years of shooting, I'm pretty much deaf...)

Just returned from a road trip to the GTA to visit family and found it in a TSC store in Sault St. Marie. Marked down from $109.95 to $40. Box was damaged, gun looked ok. I needed it like another hole in my head, so of course I bought it. It has worked perfectly from the first shot.
Sometimes even a blind, deaf dog finds a bone.

Cheers!

Rick.

I'm not multitasking. I'm doing something else until I remember what I was doing.

Post subject: Re: Daisy 74
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:11 am 

A few observations after several hundred shots:
It has a soda straw barrel inside a tube. It needs a tape mod, same as the 880. There was a lot of play in the barrel/bushing fit (think a sloppy 1911 barrel bushing). Since the barrel moves, I applied the tape to the inside of the bushing, leaving the barrel clean. I added layers of tape (2), sticky side to the bushing, until it stopped rattling when shaken.
The first stage of the trigger pull moves the barrel forward (much like a non-blowback pistol) until the bb snaps into position with a click. The rest of the pull snaps the barrel back to battery, and fires the gun. I find accuracy seems better if I wait until I hear the click, then complete the trigger pull. If I just pull right through, I seem to get a lot more fliers. Could be just my hold with the long trigger pull. While it's no tack driver, it sure is fun pushing pine cones around the yard. Accuracy is on par with other Daisy spring guns of the same power level (eg. Red Rider). It is more accurate with BBs than my Daisy 880. Is it worth $110 CDN? You can get a new airhawk or phantom for the same price, but they don't go pew pew pew...

I'm not multitasking. I'm doing something else until I remember what I was doing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:39 pm 

Hmm, I hate to be the one to point this out but you do realize that

THIS
THREAD
IS
ABSOLUTELY

USELESS
WITHOUT PICS!!!

Make a run for that camera before someone actually posts something nasty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:07 pm 

Ok ok. You are right, Joolz. Mea culpa. I'll shoot a few targets tomorrow and post a pic or two. Getting dark now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:55 pm 

:supz:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:16 am 

I shot this 5-shot group this morning. The can got beat up yesterday.
Range 24 feet (8 yards). Temp -4C. Gun was warm. Group was shot offhand, leaning on the deck railing and can be covered by the loonie.
I had the cheapie red dot from my P17. Used Daisy BBs, Crosman co2.

Regarding the can: that pffft-PWOK sound gets addictive...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:34 am 

The gun has a 200 bb reservoir, and a 15 bb internal spring fed magazine. The fill for BBs can be seen on the underside of the gun. It's a large opening, very easy to fill, not like other Daisy guns with small openings that often spill BBs when filling. (At least I do). After locking the magazine open to fill it, turn the gun upside down and shake it to fill the internal magazine (you can see when it's full). The mag is locked open in the pic above. Releasing the mag puts spring tension on the BBs for feeding.
The internal mag fills easier from the reservoir if you don't put much more than 100 BBs in the reservoir.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:44 am 

Very neat toy for a mere $40 investment. I'm no fun of BBs but that's decent accuracy for them round balls. This gun seems like a fun alternative to an already super fun gun, the Crosman 1077. Except you only get some 48 shots with the 1077. And of course, feeding pellets to the magazines is a chore. Nice find.
When you get tired of it and want to get rid of it, I have first dibs :P