Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Cleaning Pellets
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:52 pm 

Ok. So, I just picked up a tin of the Grizzly brand pellets from Princess Auto. I do now agree that they are dirty as I had read somewhere. I emptied the plastic 'tin' on a sheet of white paper. Wow. it is now grey, and there is a lot of little particles and filings all over the sheet and tin. I had read somewhere to clean the pellets. Is it actually safe to do so? If so, I was reading and thinking of the following. Empty into a bowl of water and dish liquid. Carefully swish them around by hand for a minute, followed by straining them, and rinsing very well. After that, put back in bowl with fresh clean HOT water just to make sure there is no residue left. After all this, place on a towel and dry with hair dryer. This is what I was thinking. Would this be alright, or does anyone have any other ideas or things I am missing? Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Cleaning Pellets
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:03 pm 

Seems like a good way to do it. You could probably just spread them out at the end on some kitchen paper and leave in a warm place to dry.
I used to do this and then put a few drops of pellgunoil in a plastic bag and roll then around in that. At the time, I read somewhere that this was good for CO2 pistols but I'm not really sure it helped any.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:22 pm 

Maybe a cheesecloth mesh bag on the top rack of the dishwasher would be easier. They would dry nicely with the heat cycle that I dont think would be hot enough to deform the lead.

Personally I wouldn't worry about any lead residue in the dishwasher, at least not in mine. Pretty powerful pump in it. Probably more lead in the Chinese made painted enamel on a lot of the dishes anyway LoL.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:24 pm 

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:33 pm 

ITGUY wrote:
Maybe a cheesecloth mesh bag on the top rack of the dishwasher would be easier. They would dry nicely with the heat cycle that I dont think would be hot enough to deform the lead.

Personally I wouldn't worry about any lead residue in the dishwasher, at least not in mine. Pretty powerful pump in it. Probably more lead in the Chinese made painted enamel on a lot of the dishes anyway LoL.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You are likely right!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:44 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
ITGUY wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: You are likely right!

I would already be at Canadian Tire looking for something to use if it wasnt closed :) I need a new BBQ anyway, so on Saturday I'm gonna give this a try...I have thousands of Grizzlys I use for breaking in a gun..cock-load-shoot a couple hundred times.....obviously i do not do this with $20.00 a tin pellets :))) They ARE dirty and I just never though of an EASY way to clean them until I read the post, so thank YOU :))

EDIT: Ahhh.. I just saw the bold!! sorry :)