Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:41 pm 

I started buying BB rifles a few month's ago after I got stuck indoors (some medical issues). They are quiet, dont bother anyone, and are accurate enough for 8 to 10 yards. So I have 7 or 8 now including 2 Avanti 499's, but have also been trying out the various iterations of the Red Ryder and "Marlin" Cowboy.

A month or so ago Pyramid got these in stock and i was waiting until some supplier got them up here in the Frozen North. Today or yesterday Cabelas's emailed me and so I bought one. It will be here next week.

I'm a real sucker for Duke stuff anyway LoL.

I know there is not much interest here, but I will at least take some pictures and do a mini review on it.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:08 pm 

Looks good. Who do you not want to bother? My wife don't care me shooting upstairs. I have always shot bows in the house and now adding pellet guns is a bonus. No running out to gun range every time I want to shoot. Pellets get expensive shooting in the house when you shoot a few rounds every hour. LOL

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:55 pm 

wheeliehd wrote:
Looks good. Who do you not want to bother? My wife don't care me shooting upstairs. I have always shot bows in the house and now adding pellet guns is a bonus. No running out to gun range every time I want to shoot. Pellets get expensive shooting in the house when you shoot a few rounds every hour. LOL

I dont have houses or a cottage anymore. I live in a 3 bedroom apartment now with my youngest son. So to answer your question, I do not want to disturb my neighbors.
EDIT: Or a wife.

I am only 20 minutes away from a very private indoor range up to 30 yds and I have keys and alarm codes, but have not been able to drive since December.

Low powered pellet guns like the IZH 60\61 and BB guns are fine though. I have never fired a PAL airgun in this place and never would, aside from the noise I would probably be breaking some town bylaw on "discharging a firearm" in city limits or something. Not worth the hassle.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:16 pm 

After your review I will be quite interested to read about what your top 2 or 3 BB rifles are and what drawbacks they have. I know the Avanti is likely most accurate but you know me, I want a repeater ;-)

Actually I guess I want to know what the most accurate hard shooter repeater is :lol: :wink:

EOS 7D mk2 / 15-85 / Sigma 150-600 / etc., etc.,

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:18 pm 

Don't blame you. Atleast you can shoot BB guns. BB guns are fun also except for my C11. The pellets fall out of the magazine and jam inside the pistol. Got to buy new magazine and see if that helps. You think it will fix it? CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:35 pm 

Plink-Panther wrote:
After your review I will be quite interested to read about what your top 2 or 3 BB rifles are and what drawbacks they have. I know the Avanti is likely most accurate but you know me, I want a repeater ;-)

Actually I guess I want to know what the most accurate hard shooter repeater is :lol: :wink:

Hi Plink
I can help you right now just from memory...

499 Avanti is in a different league as everything else. BOTH of mine (well, gave one to my son sort of) are freakishly accurate. I think I put pictures up somewhere. Twice as accurate as anything else and LOWEST velocity at 240fps. 10 shots covered by a quarter easily at 9 yards, 5 covered by a dime.

Marlin Cowboy most powerful-least accurate & hardest to shoot, but fastest FPS and coolest looking...nicest wood, thickest wood, heaviest metal. Length of pull FAR too short for adult and contributes to poor accuracy. Horrendous trigger but getting somewhat better after many shots and copious amounts of Remington dry film lube.

Avanti 499 on top Marlin Shridon Cowboy on bottom

Red Ryders (LEVER) ALL of them shoot to the left or right from POA. Sights NOT adjustable for windage...BUT they can be scoped with a kit from Daisy although very "RUBE GOLDBURG". Tried on 4 of them, took 3 off and trashed them in anger and frustration cause it sucked.
Now when I say left or right to POA I mean a half inch at 9 yards. I can compensate, but it pisses me off, otherwise they are decently accurate. The rear notch is also SO large compared to the front sight blade you can significantly change POI by changing sight picture..but that sucks.

Other than Avanti..
THE BEST and most fun and most accurate of the NON AVANTI guns is..the model 25. Same 350 fps supposedly, adjustable peep or semi-buckhorn rear sights (for windagetoo!!) 50 round mag, heavist one of them other than 499 and FUN.

IN GENERAL (except for buying them "just to have" like me) check the spec's on the Red Ryders for overall length! Some of them, like the Buck are SHORT, they are really made for smaller kid shooters and the length of pull is atrocious for an adult. Combine that with heavy triggers and hard to shoot without flyers.

Most if not ALL of the Red Ryders have elevation only adjustment...yeah yeah, its possible to bend or push over the rear, or even add a different sight..but I have other things to do you know? :) :)

The Red Ryder levers and Cowboy all have under barrel hoppers that take 500+ BB's. The pump model 25 is different. Unscrew the barrel from muzzle and it has a 50 round magazine.

All have that crappy PLASTIC lever INCLUDING this model i bought that was supposed to be metal:75th anniversary.

ALL of the rifles shoot best with the Daisy Avanti Match Grade precision gound BB's. Hard to get up here. Next is the Daisy precision gound.

After those two everything else is about the same...Copperhead, Hornandy black anodized, Umarex and so on

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:17 pm 

The 25 was my second airgun as a kid - literally wore it out. Accuracy and velocity improvement over my earlier Red Ryder was incredible; I was plinking with precision at 25-30 yards (the width of our city lot (which adds a touch of irony on at least a couple of levels :) )

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:27 pm 

Thanks Peter, model 25 looks like a fun shooter, good reviews abound ~

EOS 7D mk2 / 15-85 / Sigma 150-600 / etc., etc.,

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:26 pm 

I love those BB guns. Fun plinkers and really make you work for accuracy at 10 yards. It teaches you consistency and same sight picture every time.

I think a good compromise is the model 99. It's sad it's no longer being made. I'd love to get a brand new one.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun