Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:52 pm 

Well I purchased a house in the country not too long ago, which got a big huge backyard. I was always worried about me shooting airguns..Trying to be considerate. I just been too busy to actually shoot. I setup a trap in the 40M tree line that semi hide it, so just doesn't look like a shooting range... Well today my neighbor came over and introduced himself. We got talking and he started to talk about shooting rats with airguns, PHEW... I said so wouldnt mind if I shot in the back yard? Nope...

Looks like I don't gotta worry now. I just gotta make sure their grand kids are not playing in the backyard or them out there.

Now time to setup a bench.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:24 pm 

House in the country means different things obviously...my nearest neighbor is ~3/4 mile. 8)

A real bonus to have good (and like minded) neighbors though. :)

Al

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:16 am 

Nothing worse than not being allow to do your thing in your own house. I live in a town with close nabours on both sides and a projectile bylaw. Town bylaw thinks we can not even shoot inside our own house. My nabours know I shoot bows and crossbows in back yard. I put in an 8 foot solid fence all around my fortress. Have not had my pellets guns in back yard. May keep pellet guns for inside range. We as in sports club fought the bylaw and had the word "for hunting" added in to the discharge bylaw. So all we have to say is "we are not hunting we are target shooting". But will likely save that argument for bowfishing if they ever send the bylaw officer after me. They have not came after me bowfishing in the past two years since bylaw came into effect. Six years ago I was arrested then let go by the Ontario Provincial Police. Sail boaters love me down at the harbour. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Morel of the story is know the laws and the bylaws of the place you are going to shoot. Little homework goes a long way.

CHEERS!

I shoot at my house. Never shoot at a fence as you never know what's on the other side.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:13 am 

It doesn't happen anymore but when I used to shoot my air rifles & pistols in my backyard it would attract the young boy from across the street.

I'd never let him shoot one even though to be truthful he had his own .22LR youth rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:18 am 

You bring up a very good point SureShot. I have never allowed anyone but myself to shoot in my backyard. A friend wants to shoot we go the gun club. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:56 am 

wheeliehd wrote:
Nothing worse than not being allow to do your thing in your own house. I live in a town with close nabours on both sides and a projectile bylaw. Town bylaw thinks we can not even shoot inside our own house. My nabours know I shoot bows and crossbows in back yard. I put in an 8 foot solid fence all around my fortress. Have not had my pellets guns in back yard. May keep pellet guns for inside range. We as in sports club fought the bylaw and had the word "for hunting" added in to the discharge bylaw. So all we have to say is "we are not hunting we are target shooting". But will likely save that argument for bowfishing if they ever send the bylaw officer after me. They have not came after me bowfishing in the past two years since bylaw came into effect. Six years ago I was arrested then let go by the Ontario Provincial Police. Sail boaters love me down at the harbour. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Morel of the story is know the laws and the bylaws of the place you are going to shoot. Little homework goes a long way.

CHEERS!

I shoot at my house. Never shoot at a fence as you never know what's on the other side.

Yeah I'm putting up a privacy fence to one side of my garage. Just for where I plan to shoot. Because there are kids 2 houses down I don't want to attract. Or tell their parents they saw someone with a gun and cops show up. But my neighbours left and right of me are okay with me shooting airguns. Well he shoots rats because next to him and behind him are horses.

I think its if you do it safe nobody cares. Like my backyard is 100M long, its wooded in some areas and thats where I put the pellet traps, also its 200M past my property lines of heavy wooded trees before theres a small trail where sometimes ATVS use. Then more woods So its safe to say its safe to shoot airguns. I have 3/4 plywood/3/8" MDF and cutting board backstops on a angle for my spinner targets. Plus a 22LR rimfire trap if I want to shoot closer than 40M. Im shooting down on a angle so its safe to say Im doing it safe.

SureShot wrote:
It doesn't happen anymore but when I used to shoot my air rifles & pistols in my backyard it would attract the young boy from across the street.

I'd never let him shoot one even though to be truthful he had his own .22LR youth rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I don't want that. Parent place before I moved up this way, I used to shoot my airguns or drive my pit bike. Her neighbor kids used to come over and fight who's driving it next or using my airguns. You turn away and one be on it trying to start it.

Like I said, Planning on making a small 6-8ft privacy fence, off the back of the garage, so I can shoot w/o attracting the neighbors kids.

Just great that the neighbors are cool with it.