Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:08 am 

I've always had a mix of calibers, generally .177 and .22 in various guns. Now I've added .25 as well.
After some time I've started to prefer the larger calibers for their ease of handling and loading, and greater impact ( more "pop" ). Seems the pricing difference between 177 and 22 isn't as much of a factor anymore. There is also a much better selection nowadays for .22 pellets of good quality. I don't personally notice any difference in trajectory that has any obvious effect on my shots. The .25 is a little more expensive per pellet but I think I still prefer it over 177.
My last purchase was a HW50s is .22 and I think that from now on I'll be sticking to the larger calibers. I'll hang on to the 177 guns I have, but no new purchases in the smaller caliber.

FWB 300S, FX Dreamline FT, Hammerli AR20
Other goodies!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:20 am 

fishguy wrote:
I've always had a mix of calibers, generally .177 and .22 in various guns. Now I've added .25 as well.
After some time I've started to prefer the larger calibers for their ease of handling and loading, and greater impact ( more "pop" ). Seems the pricing difference between 177 and 22 isn't as much of a factor anymore. There is also a much better selection nowadays for .22 pellets of good quality. I don't personally notice any difference in trajectory that has any obvious effect on my shots. The .25 is a little more expensive per pellet but I think I still prefer it over 177.
My last purchase was a HW50s is .22 and I think that from now on I'll be sticking to the larger calibers. I'll hang on to the 177 guns I have, but no new purchases in the smaller caliber.

For me, the gun trumps the caliber. Especially for a used gun. If i really like the gun, I dont care about caliber.

Everyone has different needs though...putting holes in paper and tin cans is all I do for example. Others may need the increased oomph downrange of a .22

In general though? Yes, I agree with you. The .177 is smaller and harder to deal with...especially in fixed barrel rifles or a rifle where the breech is semi covered by your scope or mounts etc.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:24 pm 

Too tiny and fiddly... but I do like speed!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:06 pm 

I've always preferred the .22 over .177 for 2 reasons: more power in non-PAL and not as fiddly like you said, especially in fixed barrel and tight quarter breaches.
However, I have quite a few in .177 because just couldn't get in .22 non-PAL.
Here is an old post with poll:
topic67713.html

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:49 pm 

I prefer 177 until power/speed gets too high, then I prefer 22.
Inversely I might say 22 is too slow in most cases. I suppose if a generic airgun could spit
mid weight 22's at 900fps then I'd likely be using 22, but as is I only have a few magnums than can
do that and they're rather large and heavy guns, so 177 it is...
I also had a .25 for a while but pellets were expensive, few to types choose from, and fps way to low.
If I had the 500fps limit then that would change things, but I'm in the US, land of the free. (if I don't say that they'll beat me)

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:45 pm 

The only thing I use .177s for any more is shooting indoor on CO2.... I have a couple of other .177's, a springer and a pumper, but I'm going to get rid of them, in fact I'm going to get out of springers completely eventually.... I just never shoot them any more....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:45 am 

It seems I've come full circle on this matter for the 6th or 7th time.

.177 still wins when it comes to pellet selection- it still has the most choices.
Trajectory is a bit more forgiving in .177, even with a heavy for caliber pellet. The crosman .177 Ultra Mag heavy is still my "go to".
When I first started with a/g's, I preferred the easier to handle .22's. In my experience, the .177's are still a bit tighter at mid and long range, regardless of velocity. I still do the bulk of my shooting with .177.

There's still a place in my heart for the .22- easy to load, and finely accurate out of quality bbls. Still my favorite for the close-in small game hunting I do. A lot of my personal best vintage a/g's are in .22, and I don't see myself dropping any of them in the future.

I've learned to keep an open mind on caliber selection, and seem to flow seamlessly between the two- it just depends on what I'm doing...

I'm still buying springers, shooting them once or twice, and then putting them away. I can't seem to cure myself of this nasty habit...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:44 am 

Depends what you use them for... For me, the .177 is still king!
- I mostly shoot indoors @ !10M. Bullet speed/energy is not a factor (nor needed)
- I'm more concerned with accuracy, than anything else

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:14 am 

Still use .177 quite a bit. Rifle I use most is a small reservoir, low pressure pcp in .177...get lots of small pest birds at the acreage at 20-30yrds and gets the job done just fine, as was intended. :wink:

Don't need 30+fpe for sparrows and starlings lol.

Al

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:54 am 

Interesting that I still see a lot of folks saying the 177 is more accurate. I agree that when shooting paper targets they may be that extra mm tighter, but my experience has been that my 22 guns are not noticeably less accurate at all. Makes me think I'm missing something in general.
It is also interesting that the majority of us who prefer 22 do so for pretty much the same reasons.

Other goodies!

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:56 am 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
It seems I've come full circle on this matter for the 6th or 7th time.

.177 still wins when it comes to pellet selection- it still has the most choices.
Trajectory is a bit more forgiving in .177, even with a heavy for caliber pellet. The crosman .177 Ultra Mag heavy is still my "go to".
When I first started with a/g's, I preferred the easier to handle .22's. In my experience, the .177's are still a bit tighter at mid and long range, regardless of velocity. I still do the bulk of my shooting with .177.

There's still a place in my heart for the .22- easy to load, and finely accurate out of quality bbls. Still my favorite for the close-in small game hunting I do. A lot of my personal best vintage a/g's are in .22, and I don't see myself dropping any of them in the future.

I've learned to keep an open mind on caliber selection, and seem to flow seamlessly between the two- it just depends on what I'm doing...

I'm still buying springers, shooting them once or twice, and then putting them away. I can't seem to cure myself of this nasty habit...

-D.S.

I strayed from springers for a long time. Sold an hw30 to my brother and had to get a hw50s to replace it because I actually rather enjoyed it. But the 50s is in 22 where as the 30s was 177 so I figure I'm still ahead.

Other goodies!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:05 pm 
Supporting Member

Most of my rifles are springers, and most of those are break-barrels. Six are .177, and four are .22. Two others have barrels for both.

Yesterday I spent time shooting my Air Hawk and my Diana 34, both .177 changing guns every three or four shots. They shoot very very similarly, and are both very accurate.

Today I put the .22 barrel on the Diana and shot it and the Air Hawk alternating them again.

The Diana shoots almost exactly the same with either barrel, but might have (my imagination?) slightly stronger recoil with .22.

For shooting paper targets I don't think I have a preference indoors, but outdoors the .22's seem slow at 25 meters except for my XS28M which shoots at about 850 fps. And it's very accurate and fun to shoot.

Shooting my "interactive" targets outdoors, the .22 is more fun because of the action you get with a hit. Indoors I shoot at extremely light small objects, so either caliber provides lots of action.

I have five guns with a "constricted" loading port, and I don't have trouble with either caliber even with old numb fingertips.

I plan to keep all my guns and I'd have a hard time choosing if I could only use one caliber.

Peter :D

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:32 am 

I only have one pistol that I still shoot in .177 ( the rest of my .177 guns are put away)
A highly modified Webley Tempest that's my thinking pistol and more then a couple K of pellets per year. Only sees the inside of my garage now but used to be my chicken side arm for hunting during Big Game season.
My go to small caliber now has been the .20cal for the last few years. Just like the heavier weight of a projectile upon game or target. Plus the occasion beer can during camping season...lol :lol:

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:06 am 

fishguy wrote:

I agree. I think the .177 are more for starters.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:08 am 

My HW 50 has an extra 5.5 mm barrel, apart from that I'm fine with 4.5 mm.