Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:48 pm 

I'm in BC and looking at the CFC and BC firearm regs I interpret an allowance to hunt scheduled C wildlife and pests on private farm property (with some restrictions).
So assuming I am interpreting this correctly, could a loose group (club) call themselves pest control enthusiasts and approach a farm about hunting rat, pigeon, starling, rabbit. I'm thinking the 'pest control club' would pay a fee to the farmer for the usage. Could be a way to shoot in the Fraser valley and be a positive thing too. Win Win!?!

There are farming forums. Thinking about posting an offer on one. Dairy and pig farms have lots of rats eh.

1. Shoot lead free pellets @ 900fps
2. Collect and bury carcasses
3. act professional and matter-of-fact.

Or maybe I've just been watching too many pest control videos on youtube :?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:22 pm 

You might find illegal on farms or locations less than 1/4 mile from the centreline of the highway. Make sure to check the regs. P.A.L's. of course necessary to possess the guns to & at the farm.

Whether the pellets used are lead free or not, matters little, except for accuracy - IF the lead free pellets are not too light for the gun/springer and actually shoot well enough, then use them.
If the gun does not like alloyed pellet, use the lead pellet that hits where you are aiming.

You could do this alone, from a group withing a gun club- check it out - sounds feasible to me.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:02 pm 

Pay the farmer a fee? Shouldn't he be paying you, or least, allowing you to do it for sport.

I've had farmers pay me.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:58 am 

I've taken this step and it's been a bit of a journey going from simple squirrel hunter to Nuisance Wildlife Operator. I've gone this far so that I may be able to charge a fee for the service.

This year I made up a nice lil brochure and handed it out to local farmers. Most don't want to pay but are happy to have you cleaning up their pests once you explain the damage birds and other pests cause. All the farmers I spoke with, over 50 this spring, were more concerned about lead free pellets rather than accuracy....that's not saying you want to make every shot count. The barns and buildings on most of these farms are already well beat up so a stray now and then was no big deal. The big thing was no stray lead pellets and no carcasses with lead in them lying around. I'm there to keep bird feces and and the like from contaminating feed so adding lead to the pile is a no no.

There's quite a bit to it, like I said I've taken the extra steps towards this goal so if ya have any questions, shoot me a msg. Cheers!

Attachments:
File comment: East Coast Airgunner Brochure
eca_brochure.jpg
eca_brochure.jpg [ 84.28 KiB | Viewed 478 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:24 pm 

Thanks Sonic, that's a solid brochure.
Understanding what the farmers want is key I think.
Here, In the Fraser valley, there are lots of berry farms.
They would be equally concerned with lead and carcass I would image.

Approaching it as a fee based service seems to be a better tack over 'hobbyist'.
I'll have to give it more though as to my level of commitment.
But it does help selling it to the spouse, as in...

Honey, this Daystate doesn't cost money, it MAKES money :roll:

Thx for the comments folks

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:38 pm 

In my younger 1970's days I had very little problems securing permission from farmers to eradicate groundhogs from their fields. The key to success was in being respectful to the farmer and ensuring that dead groundhogs would always be stuffed back into their burrows. Plus, we only took safe shots - always with concern of the sight line. We shot .22 Magnums and .22 Stingers at first. After three years of shooting the same fields the farmer let us graduate to .243 loads shooting 60 gr. loads at greater distances. Bottom line is - get to know the farmer.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:15 pm 

Targetor wrote:
In my younger 1970's days I had very little problems securing permission from farmers to eradicate groundhogs from their fields. The key to success was in being respectful to the farmer and ensuring that dead groundhogs would always be stuffed back into their burrows. Plus, we only took safe shots - always with concern of the sight line. We shot .22 Magnums and .22 Stingers at first. After three years of shooting the same fields the farmer let us graduate to .243 loads shooting 60 gr. loads at greater distances. Bottom line is - get to know the farmer.

I used to get called by the local farms (South Western Ontario) who knew me about when I was coming back to shoot more ground hogs. We also shot pigeons- usually with #6's (lots of shot spread around, eh?) as they flew out of the barn loft windows each end of the barns. We had a young cousin shake the bale lift track which the pigeons sat on inside the barn. He'd grab the rope and rock the track -pigeons would fly out both ends of the barn - Taylor (or Pete Martindale) on one end & me on the other. 6 shots, up to 8 or 9 birds down, or as few as one or two LOL. Pigeon pie! We also collected pigeon eggs for lunch. V-small and the yokes were the size of a pin-head, but the whites were very sweet. Of course, we discarded those that were not fresh enough - LOL.

On the hogs, I started out with an "Ace" .22, then graduated to dad's model 60 Cooey, then 6.5 Rem Mag. with 12X scope and a 4-16X scoped .22-250 Custom Mauser rifle by P.O.Ackley.
Birds were with a cylinder bore 20, followed by a Remington Sportsman 48 12 bore, then Baikal O/U 12.

Those were the days.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:25 pm 

Lordy, Lordy, ............... those were the days. Stalking an abandoned homestead full of pigeons. Ready with our 20 Gauges loaded with 7.5 shot. All it took was to throw some rocks through the (glass-less) windows to get them to fly out. Oh boy...... to be young again>