Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Old Weaver Scopes
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:07 pm 

Anyone here old enough to remember the old Weaver "Marksman" scopes? They look like a clone of the "K" series on the outside~ blued steel 1" tubes and 38mm objectives on the fixed power versions. Late 60's, early 70's production.

I had thought they were an "economy" K copy, but I think they are something totally different. Parallax appears to be 50 yds on the two 4 X's I have here.

Does anyone remember if they were marketed as an up-scale rimfire scope? Stroebel in his Old Rifle Scopes book is silent on this matter, and actually values them below the K series...

-D.S.

Post subject: Re: Old Weaver Scopes
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:20 pm 

I remember then - seems to me, had tapered plastic adjustment caps - threw them out years ago.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:09 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I remember then - seems to me, had tapered plastic adjustment caps - threw them out years ago.

Nope- not at all. Challenger series was on a 7/8" tube and had a pastic eye piece, and turret caps.

No plastic anywhere on the 1" tube Marksman. I'll try and get pix up later of the Marksman and K-4 side by side later on tonight...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:51 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Nope- not at all. Challenger series was on a 7/8" tube and had a pastic eye piece, and turret caps.

No plastic anywhere on the 1" tube Marksman. I'll try and get pix up later of the Marksman and K-4 side by side later on tonight...

-D.S.

There ya go! Sounds good.

Don't know what make mine were, then- thought Weaver.

I just picked up an older 4X steel 1" tube Weaver wide angle at the gun show -100% shape, no marks - $75.00. Looks pretty good on my model 1895 Marlin .45/70.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:31 am 

Here we go, as promised :wink:

K-4-1 at left, Marksman 4 X at right.

That K-4-1 was one of the last scopes to leave the El Paso plant. Last major departure for Weaver too~ the -1 mark signifies wide angle/micro trac....
First K that was built on other than a steel monotube. It's still blued steel, but the objective bell is a separate machining, to achieve the wide angle view...

This one has the post and cross-wire reticle. It's a real hoot to shoot with :mrgreen:

K-4-1 roll stamp above the eyebell....

Weaver/Marksman roll stamp above the eyebell....

According to Stroebel, these Marksman scopes had only one reticle choice- a fine cross-hair, and that was it.

There's a 1" tube Weaver Challenger n.i.b. on flea pay right now. Hasn't met reserve yet, and likely won't, not with all the plastic furnishings...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:22 am 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Here we go, as promised :wink:

K-4-1 at left, Marksman 4 X at right.

That K-4-1 was one of the last scopes to leave the El Paso plant. Last major departure for Weaver too~ the -1 mark signifies wide angle/micro trac....
First K that was built on other than a steel monotube. It's still blued steel, but the objective bell is a separate machining, to achieve the wide angle view...

This one has the post and cross-wire reticle. It's a real hoot to shoot with :mrgreen:

K-4-1 roll stamp above the eyebell....

Weaver/Marksman roll stamp above the eyebell....

According to Stroebel, these Marksman scopes had only one reticle choice- a fine cross-hair, and that was it.

There's a 1" tube Weaver Challenger n.i.b. on flea pay right now. Hasn't met reserve yet, and likely won't, not with all the plastic furnishings...

-D.S.

Should sell me that K4 with the german post ret... Go well on my mauser.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:03 am 

Not for sale. :P It will eventually end up on my Win 52 repro.
It's a real gas on the .22 pumpers right now.
A better scope for your Mauser would be the Kahles Helia. Google-fu is your friend~ there's still a few on Gun Borker from time to time.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:07 am 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Not for sale. :P It will eventually end up on my Win 52 repro.
It's a real gas on the .22 pumpers right now.
A better scope for your Mauser would be the Kahles Helia. Google-fu is your friend~ there's still a few on Gun Borker from time to time.

-D.S.

Yeah but Weaver K4 is easier. I shouldnt sold my German Post Ret one.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:15 am 

Become a gun show regular. I see K-4's with the post and croos-wire go anywhere from 75.00 and up, depending on condition...
That's how I got this one.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:15 am 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Become a gun show regular. I see K-4's with the post and croos-wire go anywhere from 75.00 and up, depending on condition...
That's how I got this one.

-D.S.

Yeah normally what I pay.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:08 pm 

Those are nice, thanks for posting them. They are not the scopes I was thinking of.