Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:07 pm 

Gotz me a Slavia 630, what a superb gun. Now I realize what all the talk about this gun is about. Pure enjoyment, true iron sights, amazing trigger, ideally placed auto safety release button, super quiet and I'd go on and on but since I have hardly shot it, will wait 'till the experts here weigh in on some ideas on how I can get it up to speed before I find more adjectives to describe this beauty.

And since a thread about a gun is useless without pics, here's a few. As you can see the condition is excellent. Other than a few minor scuffs to the stock, all else is in new condition. Only shot it 3x to get a feel for it and as hard as it was to put it down, wanted to see if I can remedy what I think may be the issue. Speed is an estimated 300fps or less. Gun hadn't been fired in quite some time, according to the seller. So I suspect a possible dried leather seal to be the cause of the slow speeds (think this gun is a sub PAL). This model uses a leather seal instead of synthetic, isn't this correct?

If so I suppose I could try adding a few drops of oil to the seal and see if it will expand and thus seal properly. I simply have no time to tear it down, so hoping for a quick first fix in hopes to be able to shoot it a few times. If this is a good first step, then what kind of oil? Don't suppose sewing machine oil would be safe? Silicone oil instead?
Also, based on the pics can anyone guess the manufacture date of this Slavia?

Attachments:
Slavia 630 a.jpg
Slavia 630 a.jpg [ 72.94 KiB | Viewed 965 times ]
Slavia 630 b.jpg
Slavia 630 b.jpg [ 89.01 KiB | Viewed 965 times ]
Slavia 630 c.jpg
Slavia 630 c.jpg [ 66.15 KiB | Viewed 965 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:11 pm 
Supporting Members

All 3 of the 630's I have owned were synthetic seal. The older ones with leather seals had a different looking stock I believe

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:18 pm 

There were two versions of the 630? Guess I have much to discover about these.
Hmm, in that case my issue may be something else. Guess a teardown is the way to go. Which unfortunately will have to wait. I do have a somewhat noisy break. Wouldn't be surprised if I have a broken spring.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:26 pm 

I have a passel of airguns (12 to be exact). If I could only keep one it would be my 630.
Well built and just such a joy to shoot. On a windless day darned accurate out to 50m.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:46 pm 

year of manufacture should be on the block where serial number is, my 620 i have to cock it to see it. Unless im seeing it in your pick as 86? Also im pretty sure it would be synthetic and not leather, the 620 which is older was made in both leather and synthetic in the later years. In my case, the breach seal is also leather so that would be easier to check then a tear down. I would have expected a 630 to be closer the the 495 limit...

EDIT:
well maybe im wrong on the synthetic .... Mine was 1970 and it looks like the 630 started in 1972

http://www.vzduchovka.cz/prehled/seznam.html

MP 61 PCP conversion Summer Biathlon

HW 45
HW 80

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:07 pm 

bobtodrick wrote:
I have a passel of airguns (12 to be exact). If I could only keep one it would be my 630.
Well built and just such a joy to shoot. On a windless day darned accurate out to 50m.

Great, this confirms my initial thoughts about this gun. Will be a keeper for sure, once I get it dialled in.
If you can hit a target at 50m this makes me think yours isn't a sub Pal gun. If so did you have to modify it by replacing the spring? Or did these also come with a full power spring? If mine needs a new spring I'd like to put in a full power one (see post below)

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:07 pm 

shoot wrote:
year of manufacture should be on the block where serial number is, my 620 i have to cock it to see it. Unless im seeing it in your pick as 86? Also im pretty sure it would be synthetic and not leather, the 620 which is older was made in both leather and synthetic in the later years. In my case, the breach seal is also leather so that would be easier to check then a tear down. I would have expected a 630 to be closer the the 495 limit...

EDIT:
well maybe im wrong on the synthetic .... Mine was 1970 and it looks like the 630 started in 1972

Wow such is the power of this gun: it got a 2005 original member to come out and share his knowledge (based on your post count, I feel honoured).

Yes, it does say 86 below the serial number. This makes it 31 years old and still it looks like it just came off the assembly line. Guess I truly lucked out with this one.

And thanks for clarifying that it doesn't have a leather seal, guess this means no easy fix other than a complete teardown. Hoping to accomplish this in the next month or so, depending how much free time our already busy summer allows. Meanwhile I posted a video showing the noises it makes while breaking. Wonder if someone with a keen ear can tell if I have a broken spring? Or is it normal for a Slavia to sound this way? None of my other break barrels sound like this. A broken spring would be an explanation for the lack of power. But the firing cycle is smooth with no twang. I'd imagine a broken spring would bounce around and rattle and shake the gun in odd ways upon firing. But this thing is quiet and gentle when pulling the trigger.
If a spring is indeed needed I'd like to procure one prior to taking the gun apart. Thanks for the help.
https://youtu.be/GBae29k88qE

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:45 pm 

Joolz wrote:
shoot wrote:

EDIT:

Wow such is the power of this gun: it got a 2005 original member to come out and share his knowledge (based on your post count, I feel honoured).

Yes, it does say 86 below the serial number. This makes it 31 years old and still it looks like it just came off the assembly line. Guess I truly lucked out with this one.

And thanks for clarifying that it doesn't have a leather seal, guess this means no easy fix other than a complete teardown. Hoping to accomplish this in the next month or so, depending how much free time our already busy summer allows. Meanwhile I posted a video showing the noises it makes while breaking. Wonder if someone with a keen ear can tell if I have a broken spring? Or is it normal for a Slavia to sound this way? None of my other break barrels sound like this. A broken spring would be an explanation for the lack of power. But the firing cycle is smooth with no twang. I'd imagine a broken spring would bounce around and rattle and shake the gun in odd ways upon firing. But this thing is quiet and gentle when pulling the trigger.
If a spring is indeed needed I'd like to procure one prior to taking the gun apart. Thanks for the help.
https://youtu.be/GBae29k88qE

Seems like the cocking lever is scraping on the spring. If the spring is scraping on something when you shoot it, it may reduce power and you wouldn't necessarily hear it. Never took one apart, sorry I can't help more :|

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:25 pm 

I could be wrong but I don't think there are any 630's with leather seals. IIRC they were introduced in 72. The last year of the 620 was 73 which by them had the same (or very similar in dimension) synthetic seal for several years. The modern version (mod 77) was introduced in, guess when ... 1977 (whoop whoop 40 years) . 86 is well before the requirement for a PAL in airguns, probably actually rated the factory over 500, between 550 and 600. But has been detuned by father time :D

The sounds I am hearing in your video sounds to me like spring bind, if the rifle was left cocked (likely) the spring will have lost power and become all crooked and canted when compressed, this will result in a loss of power.

I would make an educated guess that the seal is fine, but you likely need a new spring. There are several different options for replacement springs but they have been harder to find of late...

While spring compressors are quite helpful and safe for all spring guns, I can take these apart one handed in under 10 minutes and I am by no means a large person.

Enjoy that Slavia, they are great air rifles and super accurate, that easily last longer than a lifetime if taken care of.

(english version) http://www.vzduchovka.cz/prehled/list.html

:drinkers:

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:30 am 

Prior to 2007 it's the white synthetic seal and after 2007, I think it's the same black seal than the 634. On the CZ website, spare parts are cheap, but the shipping costs are ridiculously high. I don't know if it is still in stock, but I bought my spring at Target Tune in India last year. It's a good quality spring at a reasonable price and the shipping is very low.

Some websites that have spare parts for the Slavia 630 and other models, but I don't know if they all ship to Canada:
http://www.cz-spare.parts/slavias
https://www.afg-defense.eu/slavia-spare-parts/
https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24502/630/
http://www.jgairguns.biz/catalog/index.php?cPath=78_185_692
http://demilitar.pl/szukaj?orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=slavia
http://www.ttcbladel.com/Webwinkel-Product-134778713/Slavia-630-631-revisiekit.html?sid=6qap9f79bccqaoh2ul43a5jv64&Lng=en

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:35 pm 

Im mostly a lurker but slavia does hold a good place for me, enough to come out of the woods. fwiw the 620 is not an easy tear down with the screw end cap, 2 people with a home made spring compressor... No idea about th 630 teardown.

MP 61 PCP conversion Summer Biathlon

HW 45
HW 80

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:42 am 

Great, thanks for the input on the possible cause of the grinding. Not always easy to tell from a low quality video but the explanation SmokelessBonez gave sounds plausible.

While searching the forum I came across this posting from Johnathan from last year. Maybe someone can confirm that this spring would work? Have a PAL, so I'd like to get the gun to shoot above 500fps. Would be happy to get what some claim to be the 650fps or so that this gun originally shot at and I suppose we can always tweak it to get a bit more speed. So if this spring is only rated for under 500fps it wouldn't work for me.
Think that replacing the spring would be a good first step, regarless of its condition. After all this will be a keeper as I suspect it will soon become my fave springer, so replacing the spring and seals may be a well-worth long term investment.

notec wrote:
You can just get a new spring from D&L and a couple stainless washers.
https://www.dlairgun.com/Accessories/Utility/

PS: also read that this gun is very easy to work on but that putting back the safety can be tricky. Sure the info on this is out there somewhere but if someone happens to have a good tutorial/how-to on this, that'd be great.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:57 pm 

Slavia 631 was my first airgun and holds a special place in my heart. It has the same action as the 630, an exploded view can be found on my webpage below:

http://barx.org/airguns/?id=631

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:00 pm 
Supporting Members

Swapping the spring wasnt that hard, I did it without a press. Lining up the safety is a trick. Its best to tape and line up the end cap/safety before tearing apart so it goes back in the same spot. I used a small screwdriver to line up the screw hole. If I remember correctly it took a couple tries to get it right. And yes it does put it up in the 600 range.

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:42 pm 

That's super, will be ordering one. But which? There are 3 to choose from.
At this price I'd like to order 2 - assuming one of these will work on a Gamo 2100 Expo. The description in that page suggests they fit a number of guns and since Spain is but a bike ride away from the CZ plant, wonder if one of these springs would be a fit for the Gamo? That's the other project I plan to tackle (also down in power), although there's no doubt in my mind which will become my go-to springer.

You mention in that thread to get a couple of stainless washers to go with the spring. Do you recall the size? Sure I'll be bugging you down the road once the spring arrives and I can finally roll up the sleeves but figured why not ask now in case someone following this thread wants to pursue your tip.