Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:09 am 

Just curious if anyone ordered the mp40 and has any input yet.

FWB 300S, FX Dreamline FT, Hammerli AR20
Other goodies!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:31 am 

I got one in time for Father's Day.

I was nearly finish with writing my post when it just disappeared on me.

I am not sure if there is a time out that would make the text disappeared but I don't have time to write it again.

In short I am happy with it.

I may try to re-explain everything I lost in another post later today or tomorrow.

At the same time, I suppose I would be able to add a few pictures too.

R-Gun Pete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:05 pm 

To be honest I'm still trying to justify the cost of it. I'm on the fence. We'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:25 am 

I re-wrote the information that disappeared on me when I tried to make an earlier post.

As mentioned before, the BB gun arrived just on time for Father’s Day and I managed two complete cycles on that day (4 CO2 cartridges and about 350 BBs).

Basically this will be a first impression post.

The submachine gun is a realistic and weighty replica.

All the shooting has been done offhand, standing up and using the shoulder stock. First I shot on paper targets from two distances: 15 and 25 feet.

Not knowing the accuracy of the MP40, I started at 15 feet to make sure that I would not shoot outside my trap.

From the box, it was shooting a bit low and to the left. Flipping up the second rear sight took care of the elevation. For the windage, I discovered that placing the bullseye in the gap between the front blade and the left air space of the rear sight was giving me a point of impact where I wanted it.

The adjustment shots were made in semi-auto. The next step was to continue the same way for several more shots on a fresh target. Being confident that all the BBs will be kept contained in the trap I proceeded to have several full automatic bursts which were surprisingly bunched close together.

I moved to 25 feet and continued shooting in semi-auto for the balance of the session. The system works well and will not waste CO2 because the trigger will just produce a click if there no BB present in the top of the mag (this mean that the gun stops shooting on the last shot). When a fresh mag is re-inserted, the cocking knob is pulled to make the gun ready to shoot.

With a few full-auto bursts and mostly semi-auto shooting I was able to get close to 4 mags of 50 BBs for a total of approximately 200 without any problem. It should be noted that at the end the gas pressure was not enough to recock the striker, so for the last few shots I recocked the gun by hand for each shot until I felt that it was getting too slow. After removing the mag, I saw that only a couple of BBs were left unfired. When the cap was removed it could be felt that there was some pressure still in the reservoir.

I would say that realistically about good 175 blowback cycles could be achieved.

For my second session, I moved to my garage to engage pop cans. This time I had to split my session in two parts with a gap of several hours. In the first part, I used a mix of semi and full auto for 2 mags and in the second part a few auto bursts and mostly semi-auto. It seems that the full-auto made a difference because this time I obtained only one full mag (#3) before starting to have some problem after only a few shots on the last (#4). The MP40 should not have leaked CO2 during the time I was away, so it is probably the use of the Full-Auto that caused a lower number of shots (about 150 this time).

This would have to be confirmed by trial, but I suspect that using only Full-Auto will probably get 2 mags or less of usable shots.

This picture shows the paper targets covered in the previous text. The pop cans are not shown here but take my word that they were pretty much destroyed. The can lid shown in the upper right corner is from the full-auto test that will be explained a bit later in the post.

As for the problem I had at the end of my 2 part session, I noticed that there was no impact in my trap after a few shots on my last mag. After removing the mag and pushing a wooden rod through the barrel I found 3 BBs stacked together.

With the mag removed the breech is easily accessible to clear the barrel.

I suspect that there was not enough pressure to push the BB out and with the barrel blocked there was enough blowback to recock the gun. Since there was a BB present in the top of the mag, the trigger worked and it was shot in the butt of the first with a repeat for the third BB.

Anyway when I unscrew the cap there was barely any pressure left.

Some people might be wondering about the trigger pull. It is mentioned in some reviews as being heavy, there is some truth to it but it is not overly bad. It is certainly not in the same category as a Colt 1911 or Tanfoglio Witness single action trigger feel but it is relatively easy to get used to it.

The other complaint is about the lack of lock for the BB follower but it could easily be solved by using a small hook that would help to hold it in place during loading. I made mine from a small left over piece of oak hardwood flooring.

To complete my post I decided to see how many mags the MP40 would run in full-auto. I was able to get 3 mags of 50 shots each without any problem. I pushed the limit by putting 10 BBs in the 4th mag and after a short burst it started to have BBs stuck in the barrel. After that test it seems that, shooting small burst at a time, it would be possible to get around 150 shots. On the other hand, continuous fire might reduce that number.

In conclusion for airgun collectors, the MP40 is a nice addition that has an historical connection to a legendary model. Expectation should be realistic; this is not a competition target rifle but a very nice plinker.

R-Gun Pete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:14 pm 

Thanks for the great review!

PS: can't wait to see if they will made M1A1 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:49 pm 

Excellent review. I have a buddy who is an avid WWII collector that just drooled over the MP40 as his camping beer can killer.
Thx for the review.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:28 pm 

Sounds like a cool gun to buy! Thanks for the review and can I borrow afew $ :lol: so many airguns, so little money, time and place for all of them...

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:27 am 

I had a piece of leather at home and I thought it would be a good idea to make a sling for my MP40.

This is the result.

R-Gun Pete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:22 am 

Just waiting for the 'War Worn' version to come available!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:20 pm 

Got mine 3 days ago. Seems well made and appears to be an accurate replica. Gave it a brief trial last night and WOW, one whole lot of fun. Reasonably accurate in both semi and full auto at 10m. Giggle factor is HUGE.
Will be giving it a better workout this weekend.