Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Scopes
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:27 am 

Got two new scopes to get away from my 4X scopes. Got a Hawke Varmint 4 X 16 X44. Pretty happy with it but it will likely end up on my new 22-250 next week. Paid $170 to my door. Second was a Leapers 2 X 9 X 40. Extremely pleased with it. Crystal clear at 30 feet. Luminated. $120 to the door. Just picked up today for $110 to the door a Leapers 3 x 9 x 50 luminated as I was so pleased with my first Leapers scope. Can not wait for it to arrive. Big time difference getting away from the cheap centre point style 4x scopes. Good quality scopes can sure close up ones groups and for not a ton of money. CHEERS!

Post subject: Re: Scopes
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:23 am 

Congratulations on your new scopes !:)
Just to clarify; a 4X scope would be a 4-16X 44 or say 3-12X 44 where the magnification (first two digits) is 4 times. In each case the maximum magnification range is 4 times the minimum.
A 5X scope would be one of these: http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr- ... -2-10x42mm
3X example: http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/pred ... e-3-9x40mm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:42 am 

wheeliehd; what say ye on the clarity, distortion and light transmission in the dark of the new scopes? I ask b/c I have a few Leapers, a 3-9x40 and couple 3-12x44 but they're not quite what I hoped in the lens dept. Great for the $, I was just wishing to magically get more for the $. I especially dislike how fat the reticle wire and mil-dots are. So for my next scope I was considering a Hawke, and since you have two in the same $ range I was hoping you could you share your thoughts?

GoodEnough: I've never heard of the 4X thing... To me a 4X is a fixed 4 power like the op mentioned. I can't imagine how it would be useful to describe a scope, and how would you say it? Like for a 4-16x40 would you say a 4x4x40? How about a 6-20 where the mag factor is 3 & 1/3?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:03 pm 

I have a Hawke Sidewinder as well as a Leapers 4x16.
The Hawke in mind is definitely better made and the optics are clearer. But for the price the Leapers is very good. It has sat on a Marlin .22 for five years now and has seen likely 10000 rounds and is as good as the day it was bought.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:33 pm 

Chevota

I think the Leapers 3-9 X40 is clearer at the 30 foot mark. The Hawke Varmit 4-16X44 is a long scope. Will only fit on my beefed up Ruger Airhawk. Way to long for my Hatsan 35S. Get my new Leapers 3-9X50 then the Hawke will go on my 22-250 in which it is a clearer scope at longer distances. I just shoot my pellet guns in the house at 30 feet.

Both Leapers scopes light up and Hawke does not. I feel the Hawke is a waste of a good scope at 30 feet. Leaper are just very good pellet gun scopes in my opinion.

CHEERS!