Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:18 pm 

I just restored a badly neglected 618, had a hose clamp to keep the action in place as it was missing all the screws and was pretty rusty on the surface.

Now I know these were rated for about 400 FPS but has anyone ever got one to shoot close to 500 FPS?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:53 pm 

IMHO, that could be hard to attain. Piston chamber is 24 mm ID IIRC, and piston stroke is around 55-60mm, so you're limited by swept volume. Then take into account the stock spring wire diam, which is 0.098'' I think. You'd have to get a custom spring made with bigger wire, and probably use a synthetic, flat-faced piston seal instead of the stock leather seal. I would also be a bit worried about the sear, would it hold for long with the added spring pressure? Couldn't say. Interesting idea though, keep us posted :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:49 pm 

I just wanted to see if anyone attempted such feat. It's a sweet little gun as is and pretty accurate, fun to shoot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:15 am 

Mar wrote:
I just wanted to see if anyone attempted such feat. It's a sweet little gun as is and pretty accurate, fun to shoot.

I so agree! I have two of them, one in perfect order, the other still in bits. Really pleasant for plinking and 10 meters target shooting, and nice looking to boot :)

You may check with Jim Maccari or D&L Airguns for a spring. Don't know where you could get a synthetic seal for it, for my good one I made a new leather seal and re-used the original spring, and I'm happy with it 8) . Because of its age (50 years, made in 1967), I didn't want to mess too much with it.

Here are some links that I hope may help:

topic44096.html

topic31627.html

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.ca/20 ... art-1.html

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.ca/20 ... art-2.html

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.ca/se ... avia%20618

Cheers!

Attachments:
IMG_5015.JPG
IMG_5015.JPG [ 189.33 KiB | Viewed 527 times ]
IMG_5016.JPG
IMG_5016.JPG [ 174.07 KiB | Viewed 527 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:36 am 

I have a 618 that I tuned. It makes 400 fps with a 7 gr pellet, a good stiff tailwind, and total planetary alignment. It's an accurate little Springer that shoots any pellet well, even Daisy pointed!!
I don't know if it would still be as pleasant to shoot if you speeded it up.

I'm not multitasking. I'm doing something else until I remember what I was doing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:52 am 

airmec wrote:
IMHO, that could be hard to attain. Piston chamber is 24 mm ID IIRC, and piston stroke is around 55-60mm, so you're limited by swept volume.

The volume (from a given data) is about 25 cubic centimeters. Spring-piston airguns usually limited by 2-2.5 q.cm. for every joule of muzzle energy, so the maximum achievable power will be around 10-12,5J. It translates to 650+ FPS with 0,5 gramm pellets.

In fact, the parameters of cylinder is very common for a standard-power spring airguns, rated below 7,5J. And all of them usually can go just beyond 10J after upgrades. Probably just installing a stiffer spring will result in "breaking" 500 FPS barrier w\o any precise adjustments.