Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:06 pm 

Hi everyone,

Question for you!

I'm a relatively new permanent resident in Canada. I just got my PAL and CORE paperwork sent in. While I'm waiting for those documents to come through, I find myself thinking how nice it would be to have my air rifle here. Even with a rimfire rifle I'd have to leave town to shoot it, but the air rifle I can use in our back yard. That'd be nice!

Back in The Netherlands I have a BMK-30 (Diana 48 knock off). As luck would have it, I have family coming over for a visit in a month or two. Can I ask them to just check it in as their luggage and bring it over for me when they come, or are their hoops to jump through first? Can it be done at all? If so, what do I need to do to make it legal for my family to bring it over?

I can't afford to buy a new air rifle in addition to the .22 rimfire I want, but it would be awesome if I can bring my air rifle over from Europe. In case it matters, it is a .22 rifle and it gets around 750fps at the muzzle.

Thanks!
Ben

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:19 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Since your air rifle is shooting at 750 fps ,
it will be consider as a regular firearm at the canadian border .

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-f ... ir-eng.htm

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/index-eng.htm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:40 pm 

Thank you for the reply!

Meaning my family (who don't have a PAL) probably can't carry it from customs to me (with my PAL). I wonder if I could send it with regular mail for a reasonable price. As far as I know I am allowed to receive a rifle by mail if it is inoperable (trigger lock). I'm just wondering if the price of shipping is worth it or if I should just buy a couple bricks of .22lr ammo instead...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:05 am 

I suggest you call your local CFO to see what is required to have it mailed to you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:51 am 

Mailing air rifles out of the Netherlands might be kind of a problem.
- UPS Global (which used to be the cheapest route) are no longer doing it. Something to do with the UN small arms marking scheme and them not wanting to deal with added paperwork.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:59 am 

Between the shipping cost, the trouble of shipping it and the fact I'm getting a 22lr rimfire rifle in the near future I'm starting to suspect it is a better idea to wait until I go over there for a family visit and just bring it back with me on the plane. That is probably also a pain, but it seems at least cheaper. And I won't have to think about it too much for another year or two...

Thanks for the replies everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:35 am 

I did this last December.. Process was quite straightforward.. Declare you have a "non restricted" fire arm with you, have the invoice ready and your PAL. You will be accompanied by CBSA to claim your firearms after a few questions about it. Be sure to place it in a locked container as if you are transporting your rifle within Canada . Also, make sure the model of your rifle is not one of those with "suppressors", shrouded with muffling effect , silencer, not the "bullpup" design etc. Good luck and enjoy your new piece!

BenV wrote:
Between the shipping cost, the trouble of shipping it and the fact I'm getting a 22lr rimfire rifle in the near future I'm starting to suspect it is a better idea to wait until I go over there for a family visit and just bring it back with me on the plane. That is probably also a pain, but it seems at least cheaper. And I won't have to think about it too much for another year or two...

Thanks for the replies everyone!