Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Muzzle brakes
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:12 pm 

while ppl work on their modified Crosman 13xx, 24xx etc guns, usually they will add the muzzle brake.

I read something about the muzzle brakes (for the real firearm rifles), looks the muzzle brake is not a 100% advantage things. But that's on a super power rifle, not the carbines below 500fps...

IMO, with the muzzle brake, the gun looks pretty much better... but I am not sure if in such a low power air gun, we still have the disadvantages of what ppl would have on the real rifles.

Anyone had played with it before and can share the experience? Thanks~

= = =
BTW, how about the muffler / silencer?! They are the same thing while add to your 13XX, 24XX?!

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

Post subject: Re: Muzzle brakes
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:12 pm 

i have one for my 2250 and have not really noticed a difference in accuracy shooting at 25 yrds, but ive heard in some cases that it was messing with the accuacy. it may depend on muzzle shape brake shape velocity even how the holes in the brake are drilled. i opened the end of my brake up to 7/16 of an inch this could be why im not getting any difference in accuracy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:37 am 

My own opinion is that with the laughably slow velocity of a standard pellet rifle, a muzzle "brake" does nothing except look cool...BUT I think almost ANY extra weight at the muzzle will help with barrel harmonics and \ or barrel "whip" as some people call it.

Barrel harmonics is a very interesting subject, but it could probably have its own dedicated forum...rather deep subject.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:43 am 

Air stripper are more for accuracy. But with muzzle brakes and low power airguns. There is not enough gas pressure to really do anything.

Most people put on muzzle brakes for a front sight and looks. I ordered one for my 10.1" barrel because the 2240 sight doesn't really fit well on the 10.1 barrel.

And mufflers/silencers are illegal here, not wise to talk about them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:27 am 

Never had a brake or air stripper that I can say made any mesasurable improvement. Have had a couple I can say did make a noticeable reduction in accuracy by throwing off the poi. So for me it's about aesthetics more than anything, which is still a legitimate reason to install one!

FWB 300S, FX Dreamline FT, Hammerli AR20
Other goodies!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:32 pm 

Thanks for the input folks!!

So, actually we can add whatever we like on the muzzle?! anyway, it's for a good looking, right? Because I think a longer muzzle brake maybe 3 to 5 inches looks great... I saw on the web. somebody make a 10 more inches long muzzle brake, looks wired, but still have it's own taste...

So... will a too long muzzle brake do anything bad to the gun? poor accuracy? lower fps??....

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:27 pm 

For the low power air guns, if so, all the muzzle brakes, compensator, Air Strippers would be only for a better look of the gun??

But I saw ppl said installed the conpensator / air striper can added accuracy to their rifles, lower the sound (that's works as a muffler?! but isn't it illegal to buy or sell in Canada then?!).

And at the same time, I also saw ppl said the muzzle brakes are for leading the air flow to other direction, the rifle will have recoils not from the front but from other where and which will damage the scope more easily and will have bigger noise because the sound is now around you not went far away from you while without the brake... and after installed, the guns' character will have a bit changed too...

It just confused me...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:08 am 

Most Olympic air pistols have them... so it must do something...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:47 am 

What it does is disperse the air pressure out the sides so the initial path of the unencumbered pellet will not be affected by the "tailwind." But mostly it just sits there and looks cool.