Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.








Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:33 pm
Posts: 11
Location: Edmonton, Alberta.
I am wanting to sell a couple of my air rifles but want to make sure I do all the correct paperwork when I do. My rifles i'm selling are over 5oo fps and I purchased with a valid FAC. What forms will I need to transfer the guns to a new owner? Thanks in advance and sorry if this info is available somewhere here that I didn't find.

Regards.

_________________
Regards,
Papa D

Daystate Huntsman Regal XL .22
Benjamin Trail NP XL .22


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:29 pm
Posts: 6205
Location: Okanagan,BC
I would insure that the Buyer is over 18 years old; and then all you have to do is ask if they have their PAL - and it they say yes - you have met your obligation as a Seller.

I would also make sure that the Buyer has some positive feedback here.

If you really want to be safe; you can request the PAL number from your Buyer (although they do not have to give it to you - but you can still refuse to sell your air guns if it you are not satisfied that the Buyer has his PAL).

HTH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:23 am
Posts: 2828
Location: Somewheres near the Atlantic
No forms needed. Just make sure the person your selling to has a valid FAC/PAL. Either Face to face with seeing their PAL. Or getting their PAL number, name and contacting the CFP to verify its valid. Whatever you feel comfy to make sure the person your selling them o has the license.

Don't accept scan of a scan of a scan with everything blacked out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:33 pm
Posts: 11
Location: Edmonton, Alberta.
Thanks for the tips!

_________________
Regards,
Papa D

Daystate Huntsman Regal XL .22
Benjamin Trail NP XL .22


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 6084
Location: P.G. B.C.
leadslinger wrote:
No forms needed. Just make sure the person your selling to has a valid FAC/PAL. Either Face to face with seeing their PAL. Or getting their PAL number, name and contacting the CFP to verify its valid. Whatever you feel comfy to make sure the person your selling them o has the license.

Don't accept scan of a scan of a scan with everything blacked out.




wllm995, HTH was correct. With on-line or over the phone sales, you need to ask if the buyer has a valid PAL - if the answer is YES - you can legally sell it to them. You have met the current law's requirements of you.

I still have a bit of trouble with the 'trust' factor, but that is how it is all written up - according to the NFA.

At gun shows, I demand to see the valid P.A.L. and match the face to the person wanting to buy one of my rifles.

_________________
Best Wishes
Daryl


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:23 pm
Posts: 3071
Location: Northern Ontario
Dont forget if you are requesting a copy of the pal, you can not keep it on file.
The prior gov made it clear you could not keep a record of the sale as its a defacto registry of sorts.

_________________
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:31 pm 
Offline
Supporting Member 2009

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:41 pm
Posts: 997
Location: GTA
When buying a gun and the seller requests proof of PAL, I simply send a picture of my current PAL card with the numbers covered, if it's a long distance shipping deal. If it's a local deal, I will show my PAL, but not to be copied or photographed.
This way the seller has some proof he did his due diligence and I keep my license number private, as it should be.
I don't think I would sell a gun without some type of proof of PAL. When selling airguns it doesn't seem like such a big deal, but when you're selling a powder burner, it's a bit different.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:23 am
Posts: 2828
Location: Somewheres near the Atlantic
I don't trust someone just saying yes I got a license. You wouldnt sell someone a NR firearm without proving he has a license? Why would you sell a PAL rated airgun? Even though how its written, still wouldn't trust someone word.

I had a member here try to buy a PAL rated airgun, he sent me

Image

He even blacked out his name, what type of license it is. In 20 years of dealing this is the first time, I said NOPE, was not accepting it. 10s of thou in firearms, not losing them because I accepted that poor picture.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:23 pm
Posts: 3071
Location: Northern Ontario
leadslinger wrote:
I don't trust someone just saying yes I got a license. You wouldnt sell someone a NR firearm without proving he has a license? Why would you sell a PAL rated airgun? Even though how its written, still wouldn't trust someone word.

I had a member here try to buy a PAL rated airgun, he sent me

Image

He even blacked out his name, what type of license it is. In 20 years of dealing this is the first time, I said NOPE, was not accepting it. 10s of thou in firearms, not losing them because I accepted that poor picture.


By law, you are not required to obtain a copy of their license. You are also not permitted to retain details of the sale.
Since you cant keep a copy of their info, there really is no point in insisting on having a copy of their pal or other ID.
All you are required to do is ask if they have a pal. If they say yes, you are good to go on your end.
If you want to make sure they have a pal, you can ask for the number and call it in.

_________________
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:23 am
Posts: 2828
Location: Somewheres near the Atlantic
paddyfritz wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
I don't trust someone just saying yes I got a license. You wouldnt sell someone a NR firearm without proving he has a license? Why would you sell a PAL rated airgun? Even though how its written, still wouldn't trust someone word.

I had a member here try to buy a PAL rated airgun, he sent me

Image

He even blacked out his name, what type of license it is. In 20 years of dealing this is the first time, I said NOPE, was not accepting it. 10s of thou in firearms, not losing them because I accepted that poor picture.


By law, you are not required to obtain a copy of their license. You are also not permitted to retain details of the sale.
Since you cant keep a copy of their info, there really is no point in insisting on having a copy of their pal or other ID.
All you are required to do is ask if they have a pal. If they say yes, you are good to go on your end.
If you want to make sure they have a pal, you can ask for the number and call it in.


I never ask for a copy of their license, that what the guy sent me. Nor do I keep a record. I only ever ask for their number. But I'm not risking court charges to fight my firearms because I took someone word they had a license, because they said YES.

Also if your pretty hostile about giving out info, then chances are they don't have a PAL. Ive done 400 + firearm sales ( pre and post registry ) I'm not losing my license over a airgun.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO