Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.








Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Chinese pump exploded
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:19 pm
Posts: 369
Location: Edmonton
A friend back home got this for his pcp's. The thing literally exploded... Good thing no one was hurt.

A caveat to all who are interested to buy this or a product similar to this... Could be an isolated case but who knows. Sadly, the supplier from China doesn't want to exchange or refund my friend..


Attachments:
pump1.jpg
pump1.jpg [ 66.24 KiB | Viewed 957 times ]
pump2.jpg
pump2.jpg [ 77.39 KiB | Viewed 957 times ]

_________________
Aim,hold your breath and follow through
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:29 pm
Posts: 140
Location: Nova Scotia
Do you know the brand name? It looks different from the "Yong Heng" models recently discussed here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:19 pm
Posts: 369
Location: Edmonton
Spaceman88 wrote:
Do you know the brand name? It looks different from the "Yong Heng" models recently discussed here.


I'll ask my friend and post it here . It looks like this though.. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PCP-Electric-Air ... SwBt5ZJ9co

_________________
Aim,hold your breath and follow through


Last edited by apitagan on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:19 pm
Posts: 8997
Location: Coalmont BC
Thanks for the photos, please keep us advised....

Bob

_________________
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsonal;
Too many! Springers, Pumpers, CO2, but I love my PCPs and developing them!
Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:31 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:20 pm
Posts: 322
Location: North Dakota
is it this one? Mylond compressor


Last edited by rws on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:19 pm
Posts: 369
Location: Edmonton
rws wrote:


Looks like it.

_________________
Aim,hold your breath and follow through


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:09 pm 
Offline
Supporting Members
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:54 pm
Posts: 4935
Location: Saint John NB
Good thing is you could get a machine shop to copy that piece. But make it thicker in the spots it failed.

_________________
Jonathan

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:19 pm
Posts: 8997
Location: Coalmont BC
There should be no pressure in the crankcase, that black tube looks like a vent?.... It's always possible the vent was leaking oil, and the user found some creative way to block the vent to prevent that, allowing the pressure to build up in a part never designed for it?.... Alternately, the piston could have cracked, or the ring failed, allowing a sudden pressure in the crankcase?....

All that metal is supposed to do is keep the oil inside and not spattering around to make a mess.... Using thicker metal would just increase the pressure needed to break it, increasing the potential explosive force in a failure.... the LAST thing you want to do.... :roll:

Bob

_________________
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsonal;
Too many! Springers, Pumpers, CO2, but I love my PCPs and developing them!
Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:29 pm
Posts: 140
Location: Nova Scotia
Yeah, without more info, my guess was a ring or piston failure. The crankcase probably has (or should) a vent, but if the rush of air was large and the vent was small.......boom.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:19 pm
Posts: 369
Location: Edmonton
rsterne wrote:
There should be no pressure in the crankcase, that black tube looks like a vent?.... It's always possible the vent was leaking oil, and the user found some creative way to block the vent to prevent that, allowing the pressure to build up in a part never designed for it?.... Alternately, the piston could have cracked, or the ring failed, allowing a sudden pressure in the crankcase?....

All that metal is supposed to do is keep the oil inside and not spattering around to make a mess.... Using thicker metal would just increase the pressure needed to break it, increasing the potential explosive force in a failure.... the LAST thing you want to do.... :roll:

Bob


The owner said that he noticed the pump can only go as high as 1000 psi while pumping his tanks then boom... He was guessing the pressure went somewhere else. He didn't touch the vent since it was the first time he used it..

_________________
Aim,hold your breath and follow through


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:19 pm
Posts: 8997
Location: Coalmont BC
WOW, just WOW!.... :shock:

Bob

_________________
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsonal;
Too many! Springers, Pumpers, CO2, but I love my PCPs and developing them!
Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:04 pm
Posts: 1083
Not new, happened to CZAR.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:57 am
Posts: 52
peterdulux wrote:
Not new, happened to CZAR.

Just recently?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:19 pm
Posts: 8997
Location: Coalmont BC
Completely different story about this, posted on the GTA in response to me posting the pics....

Quote:
According to the blog that was posted about it from the owner. He had neglected to do his maintenance on the rings and and oil seeped past the rings and pre-detonated in the cylinder and the cylinder blew apart . He wasn't mad about it because he said he kept putting off the maintenance cycle on it til it blew. the rod came of the crank and such. He ordered a new replacement rebuild kit for around $40. He also stated he had used it for a long time before anything like this happened and it was his fault.
AS for flying shrapnell every one is imagining it was stated in the blog that it wasn't anything major., and wouldn't have hurt him if he sas standing next to it. I read the blog, it wasn't due to a mechanical defect on the part of the maker of the air pump. It was due to operator error in not keeping in line with maintenance procedure.
I know how every one thinks inexpensive Chinese goods equates to cheap, and cheap is why it blew up, but it seems that is not the case here.

Either one of these stories is untrue, or we are dealing with two different incidents.... :roll: .... Just sayin'....

Bob

_________________
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsonal;
Too many! Springers, Pumpers, CO2, but I love my PCPs and developing them!
Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:19 pm
Posts: 369
Location: Edmonton
rsterne wrote:
Completely different story about this, posted on the GTA in response to me posting the pics....

Quote:
According to the blog that was posted about it from the owner. He had neglected to do his maintenance on the rings and and oil seeped past the rings and pre-detonated in the cylinder and the cylinder blew apart . He wasn't mad about it because he said he kept putting off the maintenance cycle on it til it blew. the rod came of the crank and such. He ordered a new replacement rebuild kit for around $40. He also stated he had used it for a long time before anything like this happened and it was his fault.
AS for flying shrapnell every one is imagining it was stated in the blog that it wasn't anything major., and wouldn't have hurt him if he sas standing next to it. I read the blog, it wasn't due to a mechanical defect on the part of the maker of the air pump. It was due to operator error in not keeping in line with maintenance procedure.
I know how every one thinks inexpensive Chinese goods equates to cheap, and cheap is why it blew up, but it seems that is not the case here.

Either one of these stories is untrue, or we are dealing with two different incidents.... :roll: .... Just sayin'....

Bob


That pump did explode as per picture attached. Operator error, substandard product? We will never know since I am just going by what the owner told me. One thing is for sure... That's one heck of an "explosive" product so buyers beware... :-). Happy and safe shooting everyone.

_________________
Aim,hold your breath and follow through


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO