Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Chinese pump exploded
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:49 pm 

A friend back home got this for his pcp's. The thing literally exploded... Good thing no one was hurt.

A caveat to all who are interested to buy this or a product similar to this... Could be an isolated case but who knows. Sadly, the supplier from China doesn't want to exchange or refund my friend..

Attachments:
pump1.jpg
pump1.jpg [ 66.24 KiB | Viewed 957 times ]
pump2.jpg
pump2.jpg [ 77.39 KiB | Viewed 957 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:18 pm 

Do you know the brand name? It looks different from the "Yong Heng" models recently discussed here.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:21 pm 

Spaceman88 wrote:
Do you know the brand name? It looks different from the "Yong Heng" models recently discussed here.

I'll ask my friend and post it here . It looks like this though.. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PCP-Electric-Air ... SwBt5ZJ9co

Last edited by apitagan on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:31 pm 

Thanks for the photos, please keep us advised....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:31 pm 

is it this one? Mylond compressor

Last edited by rws on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:38 pm 

rws wrote:

Looks like it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:09 pm 
Supporting Members

Good thing is you could get a machine shop to copy that piece. But make it thicker in the spots it failed.

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:28 pm 

There should be no pressure in the crankcase, that black tube looks like a vent?.... It's always possible the vent was leaking oil, and the user found some creative way to block the vent to prevent that, allowing the pressure to build up in a part never designed for it?.... Alternately, the piston could have cracked, or the ring failed, allowing a sudden pressure in the crankcase?....

All that metal is supposed to do is keep the oil inside and not spattering around to make a mess.... Using thicker metal would just increase the pressure needed to break it, increasing the potential explosive force in a failure.... the LAST thing you want to do.... :roll:

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:22 pm 

Yeah, without more info, my guess was a ring or piston failure. The crankcase probably has (or should) a vent, but if the rush of air was large and the vent was small.......boom.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:16 pm 

rsterne wrote:
There should be no pressure in the crankcase, that black tube looks like a vent?.... It's always possible the vent was leaking oil, and the user found some creative way to block the vent to prevent that, allowing the pressure to build up in a part never designed for it?.... Alternately, the piston could have cracked, or the ring failed, allowing a sudden pressure in the crankcase?....

All that metal is supposed to do is keep the oil inside and not spattering around to make a mess.... Using thicker metal would just increase the pressure needed to break it, increasing the potential explosive force in a failure.... the LAST thing you want to do.... :roll:

Bob

The owner said that he noticed the pump can only go as high as 1000 psi while pumping his tanks then boom... He was guessing the pressure went somewhere else. He didn't touch the vent since it was the first time he used it..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:33 pm 

WOW, just WOW!.... :shock:

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:40 pm 

Not new, happened to CZAR.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:06 pm 

peterdulux wrote:
Not new, happened to CZAR.

Just recently?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:40 pm 

Completely different story about this, posted on the GTA in response to me posting the pics....

Quote:
According to the blog that was posted about it from the owner. He had neglected to do his maintenance on the rings and and oil seeped past the rings and pre-detonated in the cylinder and the cylinder blew apart . He wasn't mad about it because he said he kept putting off the maintenance cycle on it til it blew. the rod came of the crank and such. He ordered a new replacement rebuild kit for around $40. He also stated he had used it for a long time before anything like this happened and it was his fault.
AS for flying shrapnell every one is imagining it was stated in the blog that it wasn't anything major., and wouldn't have hurt him if he sas standing next to it. I read the blog, it wasn't due to a mechanical defect on the part of the maker of the air pump. It was due to operator error in not keeping in line with maintenance procedure.
I know how every one thinks inexpensive Chinese goods equates to cheap, and cheap is why it blew up, but it seems that is not the case here.

Either one of these stories is untrue, or we are dealing with two different incidents.... :roll: .... Just sayin'....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:26 pm 

rsterne wrote:
Completely different story about this, posted on the GTA in response to me posting the pics....

Quote:
According to the blog that was posted about it from the owner. He had neglected to do his maintenance on the rings and and oil seeped past the rings and pre-detonated in the cylinder and the cylinder blew apart . He wasn't mad about it because he said he kept putting off the maintenance cycle on it til it blew. the rod came of the crank and such. He ordered a new replacement rebuild kit for around $40. He also stated he had used it for a long time before anything like this happened and it was his fault.
AS for flying shrapnell every one is imagining it was stated in the blog that it wasn't anything major., and wouldn't have hurt him if he sas standing next to it. I read the blog, it wasn't due to a mechanical defect on the part of the maker of the air pump. It was due to operator error in not keeping in line with maintenance procedure.
I know how every one thinks inexpensive Chinese goods equates to cheap, and cheap is why it blew up, but it seems that is not the case here.

Either one of these stories is untrue, or we are dealing with two different incidents.... :roll: .... Just sayin'....

Bob

That pump did explode as per picture attached. Operator error, substandard product? We will never know since I am just going by what the owner told me. One thing is for sure... That's one heck of an "explosive" product so buyers beware... :-). Happy and safe shooting everyone.