Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:16 pm 

Are non pal spring piston guns also tough on air gun scopes like full power springers?
Or is the double kick not intense enough to really be a problem.....I never scoped a non pal before but will do so depending on everyone's experience here.......thanks :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:53 pm 

From my personal experience, it can happen. It depends on how the rifle is de-tuned I think. My first Benjamin Classic .22 destroyed its scope after about only 50 shots, it was de-tuned by a hole in the piston, which makes said piston slam in the front of the chamber. My rifles which are de-tuned by using a weaker spring (Ruger Blackhawk for example) or short-stroke piston (Crosman TR77NPS) are much smoother, never had an issue with them. Also the condition of the seals are to be taken into consideration, a bad one may allow blowby which makes the rifles shoot harsher. JMHO 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:25 pm 

airmec wrote:
From my personal experience, it can happen. It depends on how the rifle is de-tuned I think. My first Benjamin Classic .22 destroyed its scope after about only 50 shots, it was de-tuned by a hole in the piston, which makes said piston slam in the front of the chamber. My rifles which are de-tuned by using a weaker spring (Ruger Blackhawk for example) or short-stroke piston (Crosman TR77NPS) are much smoother, never had an issue with them. Also the condition of the seals are to be taken into consideration, a bad one may allow blowby which makes the rifles shoot harsher. JMHO 8)

Okay....all I needed was one person ( that being you) with direct experience with scopes going south on a non pal....I don't want to chance a scope really even though my gun is tuned and the seals are good.I was hoping the factory non pal springs just didn't KICK enough to do damage to a scope but obviously they do. No wonder people switch to PCP's.
I may do the same....getting frustrated with springers.. :(
Thanks for the info..... :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:48 pm 

I have two of these scopes on full powder HW springers, a .22 and a .177 making 15fpe. These are GREAT scopes in my opinion. They also come with rings to fit Weaver type bases.

https://www.dlairgun.com/Scopes/Leapers ... AOIEW.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:15 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I have two of these scopes on full powder HW springers, a .22 and a .177 making 15fpe. These are GREAT scopes in my opinion. They also come with rings to fit Weaver type bases.

https://www.dlairgun.com/Scopes/Leapers ... AOIEW.html

Good advice Daryl!

And you're welcome MyCrosman, but I must say that the scope destroyed was the original 3-9x40 CentrePoint, not the strongest I heard. Also, if you can de-tune your rifle without using a piston with a hole, the shot cycle is much smoother as I said, since there's an air cushion at the end of the stroke dampening the impact. I have an Optimus with the ''weak'' spring and long piston, and there's almost no recoil felt. After over 500 shots, the CP 4x32 scope is keeping its zero no problems. Of course, good quality scope and mount are a plus :wink: .

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:48 pm 

Hmmm.Well I guess I could pick up a CP 4x32 from Canadian Tire .Its only $50.00 or so....Wouldn't want to waste a Leapers though on a budget Phantom 500....thanks guys...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:22 pm 

It would depend on if it has a hole in the piston, so you can't compare one with a long piston and no hole to a short piston and a hole. The hole will be similar to a dry fire which is the hardest on scopes.
I only have one low powered gun but it's still more than twice as powerful as a 500 model, but it's extremely gentle and probably couldn't break a scope made of gingerbread. Maybe an exaggeration but it's easily the most gentle and quietest springer I've ever had. It's that way b/c it has full stroke, no hole or other air leakage, just less spring so piston impact is minimal. Quite simple really, just a normal full power model with the spacer removed, plus all the normal stuff I do to these guns, and a suppressor for max quiet.
If a spring weak enough to do 500 were used on my gun I imagine there would be zero piston impact.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:18 pm 

MyCrosman wrote:
Hmmm.Well I guess I could pick up a CP 4x32 from Canadian Tire .Its only $50.00 or so....Wouldn't want to waste a Leapers though on a budget Phantom 500....thanks guys...

Get a Leapers. Buy once and good scopes will go gun to gun. I am forever switching scopes. But I have a sickness as any weapon must shoot better than me. I expect to hit the bowseye every shot. I go through a lot of card stock and printer ink. Had a Hawke Vantage but it was a waste on my pellet gun. It now found a home on my 22-250 and the old Bushnell on a cheaper Princess Auto $44. special. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:26 pm 

I ordered one of these for shyts and giggles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUj2BiacsD0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:48 pm 

Interesting sight on that video, seemed to work well. I wonder if it will be allowed across the border.

Some time back, some friends of mine were buying scopes from guys in the States off U-tube.

I do not know if those sellers were or have been caught/stopped by the US Gov. or not.