Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Target shooting
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:59 pm 

hi new to air guns I live in Ridgeway On. any one know of some where close I could target shoot? :D

Post subject: Re: Target shooting
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:11 am 

hey j hi. I live in port colborne. I don't know of any where close to us that you can go to . your best bet is if you have a backyard to safely shoot in-- or a garage. I have a little 21 foot long storage garage that I converted to my shooting gallery. good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:22 am 

Thanks Pete, John

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:13 am 

Port Colbourne FT schedule. Fudd match Oct 7th.

http://ftcentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=993

Hämmerli AR20FT
Canon Rebel XTi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:14 pm 

That Port Colbourne club sounds like a good one to join.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:38 pm 

I e-mailed them a long time ago asking if I could just go by myself and shoot at any time of day that I wanted too but never got an answer back.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:08 pm 

pete wrote:
I e-mailed them a long time ago asking if I could just go by myself and shoot at any time of day that I wanted too but never got an answer back.

I too was on the verge of joining the P.C. Conservation Club and sent an email inquiring if I would be able to get a key to the gate so that I would be able to practice. Got a reply. An emphatic No. Well, that sealed it, I wasn't going to be a member if I was not able to have access to the grounds.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:55 pm 

Tony and Pete - what are the club rules?

If they are shooting clubs, when do people shoot at them?

Everyone at the club I belong to (about 1,300members now), get an electronic card - swipe the box and the gate opens - drive through and the gate closes.

We used to have keys - pain in the posterior and expensive.

We are just putting in power at our long range facility (1,100 meter) out of town (almost $30,000.00 -including some other work to the grounds) and the same cards will work there after next week.

If you are on the executive, as I am, you can have a key to the club-house and can thus shoot air rifle indoors in the evenings or weekends or weekdays, whenever you want actually - at 2 or 3AM if that is what you want - such is life in the big (rural) city of PG. We have scheduled 10 meter air rifle and pistol practice as well as indoor silhouette air rifle. The club guys who shoot RF and CF silhouette use the club-house in the cold weather for practicing silhouette with air rifles.

The Prince George Rod and Gun Club has been in operation at it's in-town location since it's inception, in 1946. Everyone who joins gets a gate pass. Closures for registered shoots, or range rentals to other clubs or groups (RCMP ERT is one such 'group') are all noted on the web site.

https://www.pgrgclub.ca/

click on shooting styles to see 11 different venues - not mentioned is the winter INDOOR air gun shooting, which includes 2 more styles of shooting, plus informal bench shooting/testing of pellets

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:10 am 

I don't think it,s the kind of club where you can just go by yourself when ever you wan;t to shoot. I think they have shooting matches and meets . I;m not to sure. but if anyone on here knows more about it maybe they can explain it better.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:51 am 

Daryl wrote:

Everyone at the club I belong to (about 1,300members now), get an electronic card - swipe the box and the gate opens - drive through and the gate closes.

We are just putting in power at our long range facility (1,100 meter) out of town (almost $30,000.00 -including some other work to the grounds) and the same cards will work there after next week.

If you are on the executive, as I am, you can have a key to the club-house and can thus shoot air rifle indoors in the evenings or weekends or weekdays, whenever you want actually - at 2 or 3AM if that is what you want - such is life in the big (rural) city of PG. We have scheduled 10 meter air rifle and pistol practice as well as indoor silhouette air rifle. The club guys who shoot RF and CF silhouette use the club-house in the cold weather for practicing silhouette with air rifles.

The Prince George Rod and Gun Club has been in operation at it's in-town location since it's inception, in 1946. Everyone who joins gets a gate pass. Closures for registered shoots, or range rentals to other clubs or groups (RCMP ERT is one such 'group') are all noted on the web site.

click on shooting styles to see 11 different venues - not mentioned is the winter INDOOR air gun shooting, which includes 2 more styles of shooting, plus informal bench shooting/testing of pellets

Our club used to have keys, we switched to combo. Saved money.. But now they want electronic swipe card. But then members shut it down because the 10$ per key card LOL, cheap bastards. We rather spend the money on adding more ranges. But some of the 3 shot a year members don't want that either.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:00 am 

I want to move to your city. My local club has crappy hours, limited ranges, nothing indoors. Pretty good for skeet but I do not shoot that discipline at this time. It is 10 mins down road but otherwise not ideal for my needs. To shoot indoors I have to drive 30 kms to a very busy/crowded full of walk ons all pretending to be the next jerry michelic. I take my sisters lead. Anytime there is anyone at the range that makes her feel uncomfortable about her safety she packs up her stuff and goes home.

Daryl wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:42 am 

There are shooting events and range rentals at my club too, and for some of those events, the rest of the range is closed for that day, days or weekend. For other events, only that discipline is closed and the rest of the range is open still.

Sundays until noon, Wednesday and Friday evenings the indoor range is used through the winter for regular air rifle shooting practice - 10 meter rifle or handgun on Sunday, open air rifle/handgun on Wed. evening (whatever is desired by vote) and silhouette Air rifle on Friday evening. The rest of the time, the club-house is open for the club membership - IF you are on the executive or are friends with one. :wink: Only those of the executive who want access to the club house, have it. The alarm system, records who used their coded key and alarm disarm/rearm code. We have a $3.00 fee per person using the club house to help defray the heating/electricity costs during the cold weather.

One should always check the club web site calendar for range availability.

Suffice to say, during the school year, most all winter, spring and fall, the range is open every day for general shooting. If it snows more than 3" or more than 3" of accumulation, the range is plowed. This is to allow easy car access, as there are still a handful of members who do not drive a 4x4. :roll:

In July we put on a "Heritage Day" for the general public to being their families out for a day of shooting. We usually get several hundred people out to the club.
For $20.00, they get 5 tickets, each of which gives them 5 shots out of the guns of their choice.

The executive from each "section" usually provides the guns and runs that section as the range officer as well.

For The Heritage Day Event, we provide:

Flintlock or percussion muzzleloaders - on steel plates at 50 yards - bench shooting
CF rifle - steel targets 100 and 200 meters, bench shooting
RF rifle - steel silhouette - offhand or bench (for those incapable of shooting offhand) normal ranges used for that discipline
CF handgun - paper targets or steel plates
Cowboy action - steel plates
Trap - clay birds

We get a lot of (non-shooting) families who bring their kids for a multiple shooting experience that is well organized.

Each year, a number of these become new members. As well, some of them recognize the value of the club and become financial donors even though they do not join the club.

We also put on a shooting day for the Scouts, Girl Guides, Paraplegic Society, High School Teachers Professional Development Day from School District 57. The RCMP rents range time from us at both the in-town ranges for general qualification and out of town range for the ERT. The Sheriffs and Armored Car Companies also rent range time from us.

Last edited by Daryl on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:08 pm 

Once again, I want to move to your city and join your club. Steel plates are banned from my club. Incident a few years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:18 pm 

jckstrthmghty, where are you from?

The steel plates on the cf ranges have to be hung properly, with hangers welded to the back of them, down from the top about 1/3rd. This makes the plates hang on an angle, which deflects the

bullet fragments down into the dirt. Steel plates used in cowboy action also hang on angles due to the close ranges involved with their handgun ctg. rifles and handguns- all lead, not jacketed.

All of our railway rail used for the silhouette targets on the CF silhouette range, out to 500 meters, have 2"x8"x12' boards mounted in front of the rails to stop rebounds from the curved surfaces. The

silhouette chickens, turkeys, pigs and rams, due to being reactionary, are not a problem, I guess.