Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Weaver/Dovetail Mount
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:40 am 

Very basic first post question but I've been unable to find a definitive answer googling so I'm prepared to take the beating here for it... :(

Gamo Expo-26 with OEM iron sights. It has the two dovetail grooves along the top of the receiver for mounting optics. A friend, not in town, has offered me a free pair of scope rings/mount. The rings are 1", which will fit the scope tube, and the mount is 11mm which will fit into the dovetail grooves but.......he thinks that the mounts may be for Weaver style.

Here is the question, the mounts will in fact screw/tighten into the grooves however the bottom of the mount is flat whereas the area between the grooves on the receiver obviously have an arch shape. So is this one of the differences between the two? I can't use his mount as it doesn't have the matching arch shape in between the two points which fit into the dovetail grooves?

The mount is similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/RioRand-dovetail- ... rings+high

Thanks for bearing with me......

Ron
Vancouver Island

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:38 pm 

There may be enough room from the bottom of the clamps, to the top-arch of the ring base, to clear your rifle's breech surface.

You will have to try them to find out.

Both of my scope ring bases on my springers have flat bottoms as you note, but both springers have arched receivers, yet the bases fit perfectly into and over the 11mm grooves.

I am using Leapers bases from D&L, like this one.

https://www.dlairgun.com/Mounts/Leapers ... DNT06.html

I also used one of these and filed off the frontal protrusion so it would fit on my HW's receiver. Works just fine.

https://www.dlairgun.com/Mounts/Leapers ... DN460.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:55 pm 

Thanks a lot Daryl that answers my question.

Ron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:27 am 

Yeah, the rio mounts is not a very good choice. I got a pair before and returned finally.

And I can use my flat bottom Williams sight directly on the steel breech dovetail, and there is some room between the two remains.

Please check my pictures below....

Sent from my LG mobile

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:28 am 

rb211 wrote:
Thanks a lot Daryl that answers my question.

Ron
Pictures....ImageImage

Sent from my LG mobile

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:51 am 

I use these.

https://www.amazon.ca/UTG-Dovetail-Pica ... B007BNHFLQ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:28 am 

My concern, other than they might be Weaver, is will they be strong enough? Many rings that people are willing to give away are cheapies, often those meant for a 22LR. If so I think it's very likely they won't hold. If they won't work you can get strong rings are pretty cheap these days. I'm very finicky about ring height, taller rings affect accuracy a bit but for me it's mostly aesthetics b/c I hate the scope on stilts look. These are what I use:
amazon.ca/dp/B0018LH65C
amazon.ca/dp/B002TUSJVQ
Assuming the height is enough for you, and they should fit 40mm AO or 44mm non-AO (including "side focus"), but depending how much you shim the scope it may get pretty tight and the scope caps might need a little trimming.
Many brands of rings, especially older rings, will have 4mm clamp screws. These UTG will be 5mm and thus have a better grip. The pix of the Riorand rings show 4mm, which should be plenty for your gun but for possible future use I'd get 5 if it's similar in price.
Also note the black fabric tape in the UTG rings, which you want if possible. It's grip tape for scopes and it doesn't leave nasty marks like metal to metal does. Again not a biggie for your gun but it's a nice upgrade.

Leadslinger; I like the looks of those mounts but I can't imagine they'll hold on a springer. The setscrew/stop pin looks just strong enough for a 22LR or weaker. It also looks like they won't work on a rounded dove like a typical springer has, and the OP's in no doubt rounded. What gun(s) do you have these on and why? Meaning why those over regular dove mounts? If there's a cool reason, like maybe for some of my non-springrs, then I'll be forced to get some ;) I've often wanted shorter dove mounts but they don't exist, but shorter Picatinny do, so that's a reason that's been on my mind for a while...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:51 pm 

I went to our closing down Nosale Sports store to get a set of rings. That I did and with 40% off the retail of $66.95 +, I still paid (non-returnable), with taxed included, $54.90. Of course, I grabbed the set of 11mm rings - however, they were not wide enough to properly fit on my Brocock as it, being British, has a 3/8" wide rail dovetail rail.

Now 11mm is larger than .375" (3/8"), as 10 millimeter pistols shoot .410" cal bullets. 11mm is around .420" or .430". The 11 millimeter Mauser shoots .446" bullets, WAY over 3/8" of .375". BUT we do not know where they measure from - Ah-HA! 11mm is way over .40" and those metric 11 mm. rings would not fit the larger, 3/8" dovetails on the Brockock - go figure. So - the expensive Leupold rings went into the 'stock bin' for later use - maybe and I returned and bought the 'seemingly wider Millet 3/8" dovetail rings for the rifle -& of course, they fit perfectly, for a mere $45.00 all taxes in.