Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Ruger Explorer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:52 am 

I am somewhat interested in this as another accurate indoor target shooter in addition to Umarex NXG APX and Crosman 760 - both pumpers , decent triggers and accurate. The Ruger is also a low cost ,small , compact basic rifle but spring action with some recoil.
Should I give it a miss?

Post subject: Re: Ruger Explorer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:45 am 

Don't miss. It is a fun gun. Shot mine more than the big cousin Air Hawk. Till I got tired of the small size and returned it to Princess Auto for a refund (only had it for a couple of months). A decision I came to regret as it was missed, especially since it was a better fit for the wife. However she didn't much care for the awful recoil. Sure a Chevota treatment would address that but back in the day it was simpler to just return it. She also didn't like the idea of the force needed for the cocking. which was a lot less than the big cousin's but not something she could live with. Only paid $60 for it. If I recall the other reason for not wanting to hang on to it was negative feedback on the plastic ball lock. Some claim it wears off quickly but I never felt that. Then again it's not like I had for long.

If you live near a PA try doing the same, nothing to lose in case you don't like it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:35 pm 

I had mine for almost two years now, about 900-1000 pellets through it, and no complaint so far. It's light, easy to cock, has decent fibre optics sights but is grooved for a scope too. Trigger is good but long, but can be improved with a little work. Mine likes Crosman Destroyer and Premier Match, and RWS Hobby pellets. It's a short stroke rifle, so recoil is not too bad, rather easy to tame. It has an automatic safety which is well placed and easy to get used to. Not very noisy, as good inside as it is outside. That's about it, go for it! :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:41 pm 

Thanks for replies. I will pass on this. I don't see it as an upgrade to the Umarex and Crosman that I have and not interested in managing the recoil and trigger. It seems more suited to outdoors plinking than serious short range target shooting which is all I do at 25 feet with the NXG and 19 feet with the 760.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:43 pm 

Much like you, when I started I had nothing but pneumatics. Wanting to see what all the fuss about springers was (thanks to all the talk in this forum) I thought the Explorer for $60 was a good investment.
I wasn't expecting the harsh recoil and that was quite the eye opener. Wife, who was very eager to join me in shooting sessions with our pneumatics, hated it. Which is why it ended up going back to the store. Eventually I started to like springers which is why I regret letting it go. I suspect you'll find a similar experience with the unpleasant feel of the sproing caused by the recoil. There are remedies to tame it but it does require removing the spring, which means making a spring compressor and all the fun after that. Plus the force required to cock the thing, which as Airmec mentioned, isn't that bad. But it is a lot harder than the pumpers you have.

Maybe look a a used one for a good price. This way should you not care for it, you can sell it back without much of a loss. No harm in expanding the fun of shooting by adding a different power plant to the mix and the Explorer is very decent for what it is.