Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:58 pm 

I'm looking to buy some form of ear protection for my son before I take him to the shooting range, but I'm not sure what the best thing to get is. When we go hunting we both use soft ear plugs, but I know it's going to be louder at an indoor range.

I read this article that lists a few different options (https://gunnewsdaily.com/best-ear-prote ... -shooting/), but I'm not sure which one to go with or if maybe something else would be better. Does anyone here have a preference? Passive hearing protection versus electronic? And what's the difference between electronic ear muffs and digital ear buds?

A buddy of mine recommended the 3M Hearing Protector, but I'm really looking for something high-tech so I can impress the little guy. I understand some of the ear muffs have multiple settings for different environments and thought that would probably be cool. Thoughts/suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:55 pm 

WHAT????????????? :P :lol:

Get a good set made for shooting. Most have a speaker system in them. Spend the money and they will last you for years to come. Get them to fit you and if you have to tape on sponge on the head piece to move them up for your son that is fine. Cheap ones just do not work like ones made for gun range. I use Peltor Tactical 7 Classics. Type MT1H7A. I like them.

https://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/pe ... adset.html

CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:26 pm 

I'd suggest whatever you do get, get the slim style. They don't get in the way as much when shooting, and tend to look a little "cooler" which may be a requirement for your younger son.

FWB 300S, FX Dreamline FT, Hammerli AR20
Other goodies!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:15 pm 

I use the regular ~33dB foam, and these exact ones are what I usually use and they're all basically the same and very comfortable:
amazon.com/dp/B0013A0C0Y
amazon.com/dp/B003628ODO
amazon.com/dp/B001F00UD6
Stay away from the older yellow cylindrical ones like these; amazon.com/dp/B008MCTLJE which are very uncomfortable.
If I have to put them in and out more than once, or if I need to get them in quickly, I opt for these: amazon.com/dp/B0024XBAGO which you can put in 50x faster w/o a fuss and they're reusable. I've tried many different kinds of reusable plugs and so far these are the most comfortable for me. They don't have as good a dB rating as the above foam but are enough imo. If you want more protection than either of the above, which I can't imagine, then you need to double up by putting ear muffs over the above insert style. By themselves muffs generally suck, and even if they don't they're annoying, uncomfortable, and often break the seal when firing a gun which defeats the whole point. So I only wear muffs at work, and only when the safety police at work are watching b/c I have to, otherwise I'd throw them away.
I also have some super duper noise cancelling earmuffs with a communication radio, and again only use if absolutely required to do my job. For shooting I'd consider them useless but apparently some people like them.
Funny that the article via that link said anything above 60dB is very loud. Ever ride in a flagship luxury car like a Mercedes S class, Cadillac etc? They're 60+ and no one would consider them even slightly loud.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:13 am 

Been wondering about this myself. Useful, thanks Chevota.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:18 am 

These with foam ear plugs in.

https://www.amazon.ca/Howard-Leight-Imp ... protection

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:14 pm 

leadslinger wrote:

Why would one want ear muffs with ear plugs?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:28 am 

wheeliehd wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

Clearly you don't shoot indoors much? It can be VERY loud. Esp if they haul out 357/44's OR 223s if your range allows it. Electronic muffs amp the noise till they sense a sound louder than 80 DB and cut out. They can also fail. They can get sweaty and most people lift them off, To able to talk. If there not electronic. If your someone like me that is partial deaf you want to keep what hearing you got. Kids would have more sensitive ears then us.

Also PCP airguns they ring my ears in my basement. But OP never said it was airguns. Chances are there might be other people shooting powder burners there. Better safe than sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:41 am 

Using double protection (foam and muffs) is definitely not uncommon for powder burners. Better safe than sorry.

FWB 300S, FX Dreamline FT, Hammerli AR20
Other goodies!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:45 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
wheeliehd wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

Clearly you don't shoot indoors much? It can be VERY loud. Esp if they haul out 357/44's OR 223s if your range allows it. Electronic muffs amp the noise till they sense a sound louder than 80 DB and cut out. They can also fail. They can get sweaty and most people lift them off, To able to talk. If there not electronic. If your someone like me that is partial deaf you want to keep what hearing you got. Kids would have more sensitive ears then us.

Also PCP airguns they ring my ears in my basement. But OP never said it was airguns. Chances are there might be other people shooting powder burners there. Better safe than sorry.

Turn sound off on mine I barely even hear a 22-250. Perhaps you are right and I only shoot sub 500 FPS pellet guns since last March. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:41 pm 

I highly doubt you barely even hear a 22-250 with just your muffs. Unless your deaf. 223 with just muffs, you'll hear it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:16 pm 

Agreed - no such thing as barely hearing 45gr. of powder running out a 224 groove dia.". Should qualify that - would be greatly subdued with both ears and plugs.
My deaf cousin used to double them up - good muffs and form-fitted plugs. I have never done that, but likely should. Too many muzzle breaks on the firing line these days, on big guns.
I have a set of electronic muffs that quite working. I prefer them that way - much quieter. You can actually get good muffs for $30.00, maybe even less. If they are "Worker's Comp Approved", should be OK.

IIRC - the good ones run noise down to about 60 or 65DB.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:38 pm 

You can still get hearing damage when using foam plugs if the sound impulse is strong enough. Large calibers and short-barreled ARs indoors can be loud enough. Over-ear muffs can protect against this loud impulse, but often don't have the sound suppression level of in-ear plugs.

I use foam and Howard Leight Impact at the indoor range. If there are just .22 on the line, I take the muffs off. Anything centerfire and the muffs go back on.