Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beeman P3 vs P17?!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:14 pm 

YepYep wrote:
But I was just told that weihrauch recommends use NO oil or grease on their guns (i.e. HW40)

I am waiting for another answer regarding how to take care of their guns then...

I just looked up the HW40 manual posted on the Weihrauch website. Their recommendation for lubricating the piston o-ring is hydraulic oil, used sparingly, every 500 rounds.

OzzieM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:56 pm 

YepYep wrote:
The o ring is fine. Didn't see anything on it.

And actually I just found one wholesaler in my area and got some spare rings in my hand already and I just tried a new ring on it and seems have the same issue.

I think after I smoothed the marks and the flashings actually paved the tunnel for the air to leak from the deeper marks while I push down the overlever?!

And before the job, the flashings actually acted like a door to seal the air although it also scratching the piston when you open and closing the lever....

Maybe I just screwed up this gun already then... and YES, this job should be done before the first shot you made through the P17. That can save you 250 bucks as you will be your own QC for not buying the P3 if the material of these two guns are same. At least you can save 50 for another P17~ right ?

But the first question is still not being answered... if the grease will seal the air better then using the oil on the piston and the ring ?!

Sent from my LG mobile

You could've just went to Canadian Tire auto shop for the o-rings and they are less than 50 cents last time I checked. In fact, they just gave it to me for free.

I've had both the P17 and HW40 at one point. Very reliable guns and virtually no maintenance required. Like the other members said, use a drop of 30W non detergent oil / pellgun oil once in a while when you notice the cylinder to be a bit dry. That's it. Stop obsessing over the lubricants and have fun shooting.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:19 pm 

Lubrication is not the issue any more. I think anyone noticed this thread can read the long lasting owners of this gun actually use the similar oil on it and have a long lasting performance without any problem.

I didn't visited Can Tires. I asked the guy in Lowes and he even didn't understand the 'O Ring' means from my mouth... too upset that I don't think my ESL was that bad... but I can't find the size I need at all. Then I called Part Source, but they told me they only got the connectors, hoses etc but no O rings at all... I checked Google, yellow pages, kijiji... and finally find a rubber product wholesaler for rubber pads, bands AND O RINGS... I visited their counter but they have a minimum order request... finally I got 15 sets...

Sent from my LG mobile

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:41 pm 

My P17's arrived today. I decided to only rip one apart for now and will do the other when I do a barrel mod later.
I was surprised that the internals really wasn't that bad for a $50 pistol. The barrel was the worst. Black and rust on the rifling. Should have taken a pic sorry.
The trigger assembly had traces of a light oil but not on all parts. The valve stem needed a little cleaning and lube. There was none.
I cleaned the aluminum piston and s.steel cylinder and lightly polished them with Autosol inside and out.
Used some moly grease on metal to metal parts. And reassembled the piston. I put a couple of drops of Crosman Silicone Chamber Oil on the piston Oring and a light coating of silicone grease on the piston behind the Oring where it will slide along the cylinder wall.
I only had time for about 20 pellets in the basement tonite. But all is well. Wish I had a Chrony...it sure has a loud snap to it... Image

Attachments:
P17 (2) (800x600).jpg
P17 (2) (800x600).jpg [ 246.25 KiB | Viewed 332 times ]
P17 (1) (800x600).jpg
P17 (1) (800x600).jpg [ 316.26 KiB | Viewed 332 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:30 am 
Site Moderator

OzzieM wrote:
YepYep wrote:
But I was just told that weihrauch recommends use NO oil or grease on their guns (i.e. HW40)

I am waiting for another answer regarding how to take care of their guns then...

I just looked up the HW40 manual posted on the Weihrauch website. Their recommendation for lubricating the piston o-ring is hydraulic oil, used sparingly, every 500 rounds.

OzzieM

This lubrication topic shows that there are many acceptable lubricants for the HW/Beeman SSP pistols.

The current HW40 manual says "To ensure that compression is at an optimum level it is recommended each 500 shots to put some drops of gun oil onto the piston‘s skirt. We recommend e. g. hydraulic oil".

My 1999 Beeman P3 manual says to use Feinwerkbau joint grease.

The current Beeman P3 manual says "The air compression chamber and piston seal require no lubrication. They should be lubricated during factory service only".

The current Beeman P17 manual says to use one drop of joint grease (no stated brand).

Beeman won't likely recommend Pellgun Oil for their products but this is an oil that can be used for air compressors. This link is Pellgun Oil in bulk form, as confirmed by Crosman's MSDS sheets.
http://products.lelubricants.com/item/a ... 50/8430-dr

Dow Corning 33 is a silicone bearing grease.

Dow Corning 55 is a silicone grease for o-rings.

Plumbing shops usually have silicone grease for rubber seals.

The Crosman RMCOIL silicone oil should be fine too.

I'm still sticking with 30W-ND motor oil (aka Pellgun Oil) because it has worked fine for me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:34 am 
Site Moderator

Hey HuskyDude... please keep us updated on the barrels. Hopefully they clean up okay. I'm curious if they will be accurate. Also curious if the pellet fit is tight.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:36 am 

FWIW, altough my pistol is marked as a P17, I have the Marsman 2004 manual. It says to use white lithium grease for the piston seal, and moly for the pivot points:

Attachments:
P17_1.JPG
P17_1.JPG [ 64.16 KiB | Viewed 312 times ]
P17_2.JPG
P17_2.JPG [ 72.05 KiB | Viewed 312 times ]
P17_3.JPG
P17_3.JPG [ 92.5 KiB | Viewed 312 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:46 am 

TCooper wrote:
Hey HuskyDude... please keep us updated on the barrels. Hopefully they clean up okay. I'm curious if they will be accurate. Also curious if the pellet fit is tight.
On my P17, the pellets fits tight. I need to push it into the barrel slightly (on my Hatsan Mod 25, most of them just drop and the pellet will go into the barrel completely by itself)... and I have the Crosman super pointed which is not able to fit into the P17 barrel...

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:23 am 
Site Moderator

airmec wrote:
FWIW, altough my pistol is marked as a P17, I have the Marsman 2004 manual. It says to use white lithium grease for the piston seal, and moly for the pivot points:

Interesting again. Here is the same P17 manual from the Pyramyd Air web site but it says to use "Joint Grease". We can add the White Lithium Grease to our ever growing list of acceptable lubricants for the P3-17 pistols.
https://cdn.pyramydair.com/site/manuals ... manual.pdf

I forgot to mention above that the Silicone Grease can also be found at dive shops. It's used for seals.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:37 pm 

TCooper wrote:
Thx for the PM !!!
After talking with TCooper we're thinking the barrel blackness and dirt that I found was from blueing after they rifled the barrel.
Quote:
The barrel was the worst. Black and rust on the rifling. Should have taken a pic sorry.
Not rusted but grease and blueing residue.
I polished the outside of the barrel too and it was kinda brown and sticky. After running a few Qtips soaked in brake cleaner through the barrel it was nice and shining on the inside. I put one more Qtip soaked in Pellgun oil to coat the rifling.

Quote:
FWIW, altough my pistol is marked as a P17, I have the Marsman 2004 manual.

They come with manuals???? Image
My bad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:20 pm 

Theo98 wrote:
I periodically check my air gun fps readings, so will report back if this lubrication method maintains all of the o-ring seal performances!

Ted

Wow, 2 weeks later and a ton of great input from the core...! :wink:

With PellgunOil lubes 2 weeks ago and 250 pellets through each, both P17's and P3 still hold their FPS (even after sitting on the shooting table for 15 minutes, charged up and ready to fire)!! :D

Ted

Benjamin Trail NP .177
Umarex Trevox .177
Beeman P17 .177's (2)
Beeman P3 .177
Bear River BOA .177 (2)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:03 pm 

Theo98 wrote:
Theo98 wrote:
I periodically check my air gun fps readings, so will report back if this lubrication method maintains all of the o-ring seal performances!

Ted

Wow, 2 weeks later and a ton of great input from the core...! :wink:

With PellgunOil lubes 2 weeks ago and 250 pellets through each, both P17's and P3 still hold their FPS (even after sitting on the shooting table for 15 minutes, charged up and ready to fire)!! :D

Ted
Thanks Ted ! You just opened a great thread ~ lol
Cheers !

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:08 pm 

Hey team, please forgive me if this has already been answered within this thread. I didn't see a search within a single thread function.

My question is, what is the preferred red dot or holographic sight for the P17 with the following considerations: commensurate with the pistols value price, well built, and reasonable MOA - if anyone has a crappy EOTech they no longer want, then send it my way. :drinkers:

It's also worth mentioning that I've ordered two of PistolMods slide extenders https://www.etsy.com/shop/PistolMods So, this will allow the sight to not be as affected by cocking forces.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:27 pm 

mclmm wrote:
...My question is, what is the preferred red dot or holographic sight for the P17 with the following considerations: commensurate with the pistols value price, well built, and reasonable MOA...

MC,

I've found the Rio Rand Red\Green Dot Reflex sight to work very well on the P17, see HERE! Well made, easy to adjust, maintains zero and flexible features, all at a good price match to the P17.

I use a Sniper 11mm dovetail to 20mm picatinny adapter for the mount, see HERE!! Built solidly, installs easily and holds tight.

Ted

Attachments:
Beeman P17 .177 & R.Dot Reflex Scope.JPG
Beeman P17 .177 & R.Dot Reflex Scope.JPG [ 228.99 KiB | Viewed 264 times ]

Benjamin Trail NP .177
Umarex Trevox .177
Beeman P17 .177's (2)
Beeman P3 .177
Bear River BOA .177 (2)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:20 pm 
Site Moderator

I have 3 dot sights that I use on my P3 and P17.

Millet SP-1 - my favourite...1" tube... 3moa dot
Barska - common sight with various brand names
InterAims OneV30 - old 30mm sight with small dot

The Barska has a weaver clamp so I use the adapter for 11mm. The Barska is a Chinese sight that is sold under many different names. You could probably get your own name on the sight if you ordered enough product from the manufacturer.

Attachments:
Pics 002b.jpg
Pics 002b.jpg [ 384.42 KiB | Viewed 254 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next