Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beeman P3 vs P17?!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:45 am 

Thanks for that information, guys. Appeared to be the case (situation).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:06 am 
Site Moderator

Hey Chevota.... The first time I created a photoshop longslide P3 was over 15 years ago. I sent the pic to a friend and he instantly wanted one... lol. I'm still curious as to how much power would be gained by moving the air intake hole further towards the muzzle. The current design is pretty much max for the frame length but a new design with longer compression stroke would sure be nice, if it was not too difficult to cock. Maybe a cocking extension would be needed at the rear sight.

The Snow Peak S400 looks like something that has more power than the P3/P17 but the online ads say it only does 400fps. It looks like mrodair plans to sell them in the USA for around $90USd. The Chinese Snow Peak company already distributes other airguns that have made it to the USA. Maybe we will see these S400 pistols soon. Hopefully they can be tweaked for power. The S400 is 11.8" long compared to the P17 at 9.5". It appears to have identical trigger components (see attached pic).
https://melitopol.all.biz/en/air-gun-of ... ftM3qSWzcs

I enjoy the SSP pistols and so far have had the Beeman P3, Beeman P17, Webley Nemesis, Daisy 717, Weihrauch HW75 and Baikal IZH-46.

Attachments:
Snow Peak S400.png
Snow Peak S400.png [ 82.31 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:41 am 

Hmmmm, that S400 looks a little familiar... :shock: :roll: :mrgreen:

Ted

Benjamin Trail NP .177
Umarex Trevox .177
Beeman P17 .177's (2)
Beeman P3 .177
Bear River BOA .177 (2)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:18 am 
Site Moderator

Theo98 wrote:
Hmmmm, that S400 looks a little familiar... :shock: :roll: :mrgreen:

Ted

Yah, strange eh? The S400 trigger mechanism pic looks a lot like the pics that you and I have posted for the P17. Look closely at the frame and you will see that it is not the P17. I'm starting to wonder if Snow Peak actually is the Chinese manufacturer for the Chinese Beeman P17. If not, then they reverse engineered and copied it. In either case, it's not a bad thing. More SSP pistol options are good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:08 pm 

FWIW, after 5K rounds through my Beeman SPP's, the P3 was the first to bite the dust!!

FPS started to drop off, first down to 385, then 360, then all the way down to 325fps. Before pulling the trigger, could hear a faint "air-leaking" sound coming from the air valve after closing the over-lever. Cleaned and re-greased the air valve with super-lube, but the stem shaft o-ring still wanted to leak air. The valve shaft nut on the P3 is pinged very-solidly in place, so I called Air Venturi tech services to get their take on replacing that 008 o-ring. It was recommended that before replacement, I should remove any grease on the o-rings and add Crosman PelgunOil (designed for pneumatic o-ring seals). Cleaned the grease off the air valve and piston\breach o-rings. That worked well, as the fps came back up to 365 fps, and after 10 minutes of loading\pumping up, maintained that same fps! Decided to reset the barrel 1\64th closer to the breach seal. That allowed the fps to settle at 405fps with RWS Hobby 7.0 WC's...now closer to my P17's (#1@412fps, #2@413fps)!!

Since both my P17's would slowly loose air pressure (drop 10-15fps for every 5 minute delay of being pumped up), performed the same Grease Removal\PelgunOil application to all of their o-rings. Now, they hold their pumped up pressures within 1fps over 10 minutes of delayed shooting!! According to Air Venturi (US Beeman P3 service group), all they use on any single or multi pump air pneumatics is the PelgunOil (looks-feels like transmission oil)! This Is petroleum based, thus Do Not use in break barrels, springers or PCP!

I periodically check my air gun fps readings, so will report back if this lubrication method maintains all of the o-ring seal performances!

Ted

Benjamin Trail NP .177
Umarex Trevox .177
Beeman P17 .177's (2)
Beeman P3 .177
Bear River BOA .177 (2)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:41 pm 

I almost buy a P17 this morning but hesitated at the payment page as this gun was sold for less than 30 in the States for Black Friday but will cost almost one hundred when shipped to my door....

and I am not sure if I would get a lemon and need a second one as replacement of shipping back the first one... you know the gun is very cheap, the shipping cost will cost about half of the gun ....

Sent from my LG mobile

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:48 pm 

The Snow Peak S400 looks better !

The longer barrel I think will bring stronger power and better accuracy IMO, but not sure if it will break the balance of the gun.... it looks impossible to turn it into a carbine like the 13xx and 2240 right ? [emoji16]

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:21 pm 

YepYep wrote:
...you know the gun is very cheap...

Actually, not worse than many other China-made air guns. I bought one recently, and I'm very glad I did! The pistol is very accurate, and has a lot of potential. Also very easy to work on.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:48 pm 

YepYep wrote:
I almost buy a P17 this morning but hesitated at the payment page as this gun was sold for less than 30 in the States for Black Friday but will cost almost one hundred when shipped to my door....

and I am not sure if I would get a lemon and need a second one as replacement of shipping back the first one... you know the gun is very cheap, the shipping cost will cost about half of the gun ....

Sent from my LG mobile
If you use the black Friday coupon code for canadashootingsupply.ca the p17 is less than $50 and with shipping to Saskatchewan is $71.61 total. If you live in Ontario I assume it'll be cheaper. (Edit: only couple bucks cheaper to Toronto because of extra tax)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:01 pm 

Very reasonable from canadashootingsupply. Bought both my P17's there, one with the red dot and one without. Put reddot that came with P17 and put it on a spring pistol because dot was super bright and blocked the target with only one lighting setting. Both my P17's have a RioRand Tactical 4 Reticle Red Dot Open Reflex Sight ($29.from Amazon). One set for 30 feet for upstairs and one set for 15 feet in my tool room. Only two pistol I really shoot now other than my airsoft spring pistols. Airsoft are a quarter the price to shoot compared to pellets. Get 5000 6mm for $15. CHEERS!

Edited: Checked my bill and $81.41 P17 with the redot to the door. No red dot would be about $8 cheaper. That was a couple months ago.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:08 am 

My apologies, I forgot to put the black Friday code here for canadashootingsupply.ca. It's elsewhere on the forum also. It's "Friday" :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:16 am 

Alright~ here comes another proud owner of the P17. Just placed my order with Canada shooting Supply ~ Just set back and waiting now ~

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:23 am 

YepYep wrote:
Alright~ here comes another proud owner of the P17. Just placed my order with Canada shooting Supply ~ Just set back and waiting now ~

Sent from my LG mobile

As well!

:)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:34 am 
Site Moderator

It's always best to try proper lubrication on your P-3-17 prior to disassembly. If the oil fails to fix the leakage, the o-rings are cheap to replace. You don't need to remove the peened nut to get at the valve o-rings. Just undo the large brass nut that fastens the valve to the compression tube. Then you can access the valve stem seal and the seal on the valve. I think the sizes are 006 and 008. You might even get away with cleaning the originals and lubricating the same seals before re-installing them.

Beeman P17... in stock... in Whitby, Ontario Canada... price $54.99
http://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/beem ... istol.html

A lot of people confuse PellgunOil with tranny oil. The Crosman PellgunOil is made by a company called Lubrication Engineers in Fort Worth, TX. The product is 30W oil called Monolec GFS Engine Oil (product 8430) and can be bought in big drums and pails. They add the red tint to the oil. Here is the proof:

http://products.lelubricants.com/viewit ... 1511759781

http://www.crosman.com/media/pdf/msds/S ... GUNOIL.pdf

You can buy a litre oil 30W-ND motor oil at Canadian Tire for under $10. This would be the same as PellgunOil but without the red tint.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:37 am 

wllm995 wrote:
YepYep wrote:

Sent from my LG mobile

As well!

:)
[emoji481][emoji481]

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next