Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:13 am 
Site Moderator

What is your favourite domed .177cal pellet? Here is what I have tried so far.

Crosman Premier Light - Was excellent during the 1990s. Went through over 12,000 pellets. Crosman then had a bad time with peewee pellets so I quit ordering. Apparently the current lot is fat head (4.54-4.55mm).

Crosman UltraMag 10.5gr - Nice looking pellet but they don't shoot well from any of my airguns.

JSB Exact 8.44gr/4.52mm - I ordered 30 tins back in 2004 when they were $5.80/tin. Excellent pellet! A few years ago I order 8 more and half the tins were peewees that shot terrible. Last year I ordered another 8 tins and they were okay. I'm not sure what the current lot numbers are like.

JSB Exact 7.33gr - I have one tin and they are undersize.

RWS Superdome - I always liked the look of this pellets but could never find an airgun that preferred them.

Stoeger X-Field 8.6gr - Only had one tin. Same as H&N Field & Target Trophy. Good shooting pellet in the rifles that I tried them. I might get more.

Air Arms Diabolo Field 8.44gr/4.52mm - Was going to order some recently but decided to contact Pyramyd Air for opinion first. Answer - "Unfortunately there can be a fairly wide range of pellet head sizes in a tin. They are punched out very quickly."

JSB Exact 7.87gr- I hear they are good but never tried them.

It was nice when we could order CPLs or JSB Exact 4.52mm and be confident that the product was as marked. My airguns never seem to like .175" pellets.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:30 pm 

JSB Cometa 4.51's in my HW97. Best .177 pellet yet - for my rifle.

The Polymags are very accurate as well, in all calibres and in every one of my rifles.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:20 pm 

Daryl wrote:
JSB Cometa 4.51's in my HW97. Best .177 pellet yet - for my rifle.

The Polymags are very accurate as well, in all calibres and in every one of my rifles.

Yeah, just got my first tin of .22 Polymag, and they are so nice in my 2240 and 1322! Even they look pretty nice in the hand too! I think I will stick to this pellet in the future~

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:21 pm 

.22 Polymag

not like ppl complained that the gold tip will come off, I found that on the Polymag even after you hit the target and the tip get damaged into pieces, the remains still stick on the pellet well~

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:28 pm 

TCooper wrote:
What is your favourite domed .177cal pellet? Here is what I have tried so far.

Crosman UltraMag 10.5gr - Nice looking pellet but they don't shoot well from any of my airguns.

RWS Superdome - I always liked the look of this pellets but could never find an airgun that preferred them.

Dies for the 10.5 gr ultra-mags were changed fairly recently. I had gotten good results with the older die version~ 3" ctc groups at 75 yds at low to mid 800's out of a tight Crosman 24" 1760 bbl. Noticed the die change on the last tin I bought. It appears the lead mix was changed too. These pellets look a lot cleaner than the older version. Haven't put them through the distance fore-arm rest wringer yet.
My recently acquired S&W 586-6 likes them a lot. I suspect a L/W bbl on that revolver.

Haven't seen .177 superdomes available locally for quite sometime. I found them to be reasonably accurate. There's one 13-77 pistol bbl here that likes them a lot. That tin I have must be 7 or 8 years old, and very nearly empty.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:36 pm 

I use the JSB 7.33 and 8.4. They work well in most of my guns. I also use the Stoeger x- field but am on my last tin and probably won't get anymore.
I had the same issue with the RWS Superdomes. They never shot well in any of my guns.
I also use the Grizzlies for short range plinking since they are cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:43 pm 
Site Moderator

Earlier today I did a check on my inventory of "4.52" JSB Exact 8.44 grain. I'm on my last tin from a good lot number that shoot very accurately. I sure wish there was a way to order more and be confident that they were mainly 4.50mm to 4.52mm (.177-.178"). The company would likely struggle to sell tins of pellets that were properly marked as 4.45mm.

Samples from my inventory:
3 full tins - very consistent at .175"
2 full tins - measure at .175"-.176"
2 full tins - measure at .176"

After measuring a good sample from the above 7 tins, I didn't find any that were .177" (4.50mm). The majority should be .178" (4.52mm) as marked. The samples from the one good tin that I have are mainly .177" with some at .176". The .177" pellets are a nice press fit in my Optimus. The .176" from the various tins might work in my tight P3 and P17.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:43 am 

Just out of curiosity- is this a skirt, or head diameter measurement?

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:59 am 
Site Moderator

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Just out of curiosity- is this a skirt, or head diameter measurement?

-D.S.

Head diameter. I'm pretty sure that is what the 4.52mm printed on the tin refers to (~.178"). The skirts usually measure .186 to .188" (4.72 to 4.78 mm).

My airguns seem to do best with a slight press fit at the pellet head. The .175" heads drop into the Optimus barrel up to the skirt. The skirt stops them from dropping right through.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:23 pm 

Thanks for the reply.
I had a bit of trouble with oversize heads in my non-pal Optimus, with the Crosman Pirhana hollow points. Heads went in awfully tight, and I think this was mentioned by me in a previous thread of yours. I have yet to find a bbl that will group with that particular pellet.

I notice pellet skirt design does have an effect on accuracy- especially in the Predator series pellets. Heads are always an easy drop-in fit for me with the skirts preventing the pellet from dropping through the bore. These pellets have a thick walled base to the skirt.
The old-die Crosman .177, 7.9 gr. milk carton field/hunting point (actually a tear drop dome) had a very short skirt, and no head drag. They were very accurate. About the only pellet I have here with slight head drag is the JSB Heavy in .22. The .177 JSB Heavy has no head drag, and shoots no where near as tight as the .22 version.

I think head diameter plays a role in accuracy, but it is not the only contributing factor...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:12 pm 

I've had success with the JSB 8.44gr and RWS Superdomes. They seem to do very well in my revolvers and pistols.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:49 pm 
Supporting Member

I too find the JSB Exact 4.52 to be most popular with my .177's
Right behind are the H&N Field Target Trophy 4.52's
Some guns like either the JSB's or the H&N's.
A couple of guns like the JSB Exact 4.53 better than 4.52 which is a bit odd since it seems the actual sizes of the pellets in a tin vary considerably.
Some guns like RWS SHP, but they of course are not domed.
I also keep buying cheapos hoping that I'll come across one that works for me and my arsenal, but I've decided no more as they're mostly just a waste of money.
I did buy some cheap Excite Hammers which don't work very well in my .177's, but two of my .22's love them.

Peter :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:58 am 
Site Moderator

Today I used my scoped .177cal Crosman Optimus to shoot some groups with 3 different lots of 8.44 grain "4.52 mm" JSB Exact pellets. Unfortunately I was limited to 10 metres. I set up a steady padded front rest with a rabbit ear sandbag on the back end.

All pellets were measured with a caliper to ensure a good example from each lot number. These lot numbers were selected because the three head measurements (.175, .176, .177) were most common for those lots. Group sizes were circled on the targets.

~ The first row of groups did much better than expected. All pellet heads were .175". The average for the 4 groups was .44" ctc. The pellets from this tin will fall flush to the skirt when dropped into the Optimus barrel so I have to be careful when closing the hinge.

~ The second row of groups were terrible and not worth measuring. All pellets heads were .176". The pellets wanted to group in the bullseye but there were too many flyers.

~ The third row of groups was my favourite JSB pellet lot. All pellets heads were .177". The average for the 4 groups was .22" ctc. These 10m groups were typical for this Optimus. During the summer this same lot of pellets gave me 1.32"ctc for a 20 group average at 50 yards. They also gave me 2.25" ctc average for 10 groups at 75 yards (dead calm day). The pellets from this tin will drop half their length into the barrel and require slight thumb pressure for a nice seating.

The three pellet lots have some mild differences. The pellet lengths were very consistent within each tin. The .175 and .176 pellets were both .237" in length while the tin with the .177 heads were .242" in length. The .175 & .176 tins had .187/.188" skirt widths while the .177 tin had .183/.184" skirts. About 8 or 10 pellets were checked from each tin to find the most common skirt sizes. Skirt consistency was good but not as consistent as the pellet lengths.
The skirts on all the JSBs pellets were quite thin. The flat punch mark at the bottom of the skirts was slightly different in size from lot to lot, but consistent within the same lot/tin of pellets.

It's quite obvious from the targets that my Crosman Optimus prefers the press fit .177" pellet over loose pellet heads. It's unfortunate that we never seem to know what will arrive when ordering the "4.52 mm" pellets.

Attachments:
JSB Targets 004a.jpg
JSB Targets 004a.jpg [ 337.1 KiB | Viewed 337 times ]