Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:09 pm 

This rifle was recommended to me in an another thread: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8711343e

It looks ok for $50 but the description on the Princess Auto site is vague to say the least. It doesn't even mention the maker of the gun. I was looking at the variable pump gun they sell for $43 but apparently it doesn't have a "rifled" barrel.

Has anyone here had any experience with this rifle and do they know who makes them? Would it be Crosman? Does it have a smooth or rifled barrel?

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:23 pm 

Chinese company.

It would be a rifled barrel, the 760 probably isn't due to being BB and Pellet. But some 760 comes with a rifled barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:28 pm 

Yes Chinese rifle. Piece of 3/4 inch PVC pipe in front of the spring to give it a deep thud instead of a twang and it sounds good and deadly accurate. When my buddies want to go shooting, I leave my good guns at home, I take my 50 dollar gun and watch the stunned looks on their faces. :lol: :lol: :lol: Mine is a Grizzly from KW Surplus but I think they are the very same gun. PVC pipe inside it shoots right at the 500FPS. :wink: CHEERS!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:17 am 

Thanks for the info! If it works I'd rather go for something like that than the 760 since I already have a spring operated BB pistol and don't have anything yet that shoots pellets. Also I did look at some YouTube video reviews of the 760 and in two of the video tests the bolt that loads the ammo broke and the gun became unusable. It didn't instill confidence in me. I do know they sell for only $43 though. I think for the extra $6 that the break rifle costs it might be worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:58 pm 

Have you actually gone to the store to see both in person? I would before deciding on one or the other, as these are completely different beasts. The 760 feels like a toy in your hands and is more suitable for children or adults with small arms. The break barrel in the link is a lot bigger and heavier, not to mention it requires a good amount of force to crack. If you're fit and of average build you'd have no problems handling it. But if you have long arms the 760 will be inadequate. For one the length of pull (distance from the trigger to the butt of the stock) would be way too small, making it hard to aim for those with orangutan arms.

If you're on a tight budget or find the full size of the Grizzly rifle in the link too large or heavy, PA also sells a smaller break barrel that also shoots at 500fps and as Whellied described, without the annoying twang. It's actually a great fun gun to shoot and since it's so cheap (often on sale for $30) it's the ideal rifle to learn how to open to tinker with. Also pretty accurate although the open sights lack windage adjustment. Has a wood stock, if you prefer the look of wood. Ideal if you want to put a scope or red dot on. I have one and can't put it down due to it being so fun to shoot, despite its smaller size (which is still longer than the 760). Also have the 760 kit, that I purchase for my kids ($50 with the scope and other extras). This being a pneumatic, it's far simpler to shoot than a springer as it's easier to hit the target without the variables of dealing with a heavy spring moving about inside the gun. I find them very accurate at short distances, of around 6m. But longer distances would make hitting the bullseye hard due to the smooth bore.

I'd pay them a visit and figure out what would fit your size. All 3 rifles above would be a great start and the price is cheap enough that you can always buy another down the road without breaking the bank.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:33 pm 

Joolz wrote:
Have you actually gone to the store to see both in person? I would before deciding on one or the other, as these are completely different beasts. The 760 feels like a toy in your hands and is more suitable for children or adults with small arms. The break barrel in the link is a lot bigger and heavier, not to mention it requires a good amount of force to crack. If you're fit and of average build you'd have no problems handling it. But if you have long arms the 760 will be inadequate. For one the length of pull (distance from the trigger to the butt of the stock) would be way too small, making it hard to aim for those with orangutan arms.

If you're on a tight budget or find the full size of the Grizzly rifle in the link too large or heavy, PA also sells a smaller break barrel that also shoots at 500fps and as Whellied described, without the annoying twang. It's actually a great fun gun to shoot and since it's so cheap (often on sale for $30) it's the ideal rifle to learn how to open to tinker with. Also pretty accurate although the open sights lack windage adjustment. Has a wood stock, if you prefer the look of wood. Ideal if you want to put a scope or red dot on. I have one and can't put it down due to it being so fun to shoot, despite its smaller size (which is still longer than the 760). Also have the 760 kit, that I purchase for my kids ($50 with the scope and other extras). This being a pneumatic, it's far simpler to shoot than a springer as it's easier to hit the target without the variables of dealing with a heavy spring moving about inside the gun. I find them very accurate at short distances, of around 6m. But longer distances would make hitting the bullseye hard due to the smooth bore.

I'd pay them a visit and figure out what would fit your size. All 3 rifles above would be a great start and the price is cheap enough that you can always buy another down the road without breaking the bank.

Thanks so much for the very thoughtful and most helpful reply to my question. Oh yes I do intend to go to the store and look at the products in person as I am not really one to order something like that online. I have also seen very the favourable reviews of the Grizzly break barrel rifle and this one is also one I am taking into consideration. I like the looks of a wood stock too. :)

Even though I am of smaller stature and in my mid 50's I am an avid cyclist and in fairly good shape so I don't think I'd have much difficulty cocking a break barrel or pumping one too. When I was a kid I shot a break barrel pellet rifle but that was almost 45 years ago. But as you have pointed out it's best to look and see these rifles in person. Of course I do want to get good value for my money and a rifle that will last me for years. I am also amazed at how accurate many of these budget rifles are. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:08 pm 

It's a modernized B2.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:51 pm 

TSC has the wood version on sale right now for 59.99

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:47 pm 

Isn't it made by Grizzly.....the same makers of fine air gun pellets.....er....ahem....looks like the Grizzly I bought from Tool Town a couple years ago for the same price.....bloody thing would fire as soon as I closed the barrel..brought it back...needless to say....

It could be the new version of the Grizzly" Razer "... I bought....
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8515843e