Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:41 pm 

Of coarse this has to be while shooting your Air gun/rifle. :D
I believe mine would have to be getting my Crosman Powermaster 760 for Christmas when I was 8.
Although I must have taking it outside and shot it with my Dad in the winter months.
The real first memory was destroying my huge collection of Green Army men in the sandbox. I'm sure we all did that.
Another that sticks in my mind the most is the sh!t I got for standing up all Moms Clothespins like dominos
on our back wooden fence and plinking away...
Ya I know... but ya gotta think of it from an eight yr old perspective...it was fun.

Couldn't use my rifle for a whole week. Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:58 pm 

Made frog guns with a hockey stick, elastics and my mothers wooden cloths pins. My Dad bought me a pellet gun at age 9. Owned my first 22 at age 12. Used to walk the streets of Kitchener with my pellet gun and got stopped by the Waterloo Regional Police. Asked me what I was doing. Told them I was going down to the park hunting. Cop said you be careful. I said I will and cop drove off. All the kids my age on the swings and slides and me sitting in a four foot round bush waiting for a bird to land. LOL How times have changed in 50 years.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:38 pm 

My grandpa gave me a co2 pistol when I was young but I never really shot it much. That is until one day a squirrel chewed up my hammock in my back yard so I took aim at that little bugger and pulled the trigger. Fortunately for him I didn’t have the heart and pulled the shot off to the right on purpose lol.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:37 pm 

Good idea for a thread, let me share my early experience.
I was a real pro shooting at extremely small living targets with my first break barrel as a pre teen. No idea what happened to it but it likely was a Slavia (only a guess I truly have no idea but the design is similar). I know it had a leather seal, so it does go back some ways.

Anyway, my tiny living targets were flies. They'd land on the wall and concrete floor near the garbage bin on (outside of the house) and I'd shoot them while sitting at a chair across the room. I recall that I'd hardly miss. The downside: small holes onto the stucco wall that my parents weren't too pleased with. But my justification was enough to leave me alone as I'd completely rid of them pests in a matter of minutes. Fun times. Must've been 12 or thereabouts. Don't really know what happened to the rifle but with my mind at school and other activities it just phased into nothingness. Till I rekindled that flame a couple of years ago while picking at Crosman M4-177 on sale at Can Tire. The rest is recent history.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:42 pm 

I remember getting a Daisy 501 (or maybe 401), 5 shot, lever action pellet gun. I would shoot the stems on apples at the top of the trees in our orchard (being careful not to hit the apple itself for fear of lead poisoning :-).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:54 am 

Oh yes, we were all perfect angels; we never killed anything with our first BB gun-not even a fly (except for one member, that is :lol:).

My first BB gun was THE BB Gun: the original Red Ryder in the early 50s. Other than owning one like millions of other kids, no memories about that one; my dad marked off a rectangle in the basement and I was only allowed to shoot within the rectangle, at targets that were also within that same rectangle (I was nine). I had so much fun within that rectangle that two years later I asked for a gun with more power and and less gravity dependence (as in bb feeding):Next Christmas I received from Santa a brand new Daisy 25 pumper. Along with it, the restriction of shooting within that rectangle was lifted - I could do what every other kid was doing with a BB gun: carrying it everywhere. I quickly deduced that the secret to keeping this rifle super powerful was to give it a drop of oil regularly (in the hole marked "oil here").

My first fond airgun memory was nailing a sparrow from across the yard (50 feet) within the first ten minutes of having it outside for the first time. I was astounded by my new D25's super accuracy and power, and I relived my moment of astonishment many, many times after that.

I apparently had not yet developed respect for menial, annoying sparrow life, but I was fully versed on how to and how not to carry and discharge my airgun.

I was stupid. I was a kid. But I was a very safe, stupid kid.

I had to wait 'til 16 to get my first .22: a Remington Fieldmaster (don't remember the number) pump-action. I wised up about shooting harmless sparrows (and the occasional harmless, cute, little chipmunk [I hated The Chipmunks!]). I turned to bigger game: squirrels, rats, crows and other barrel-bottom, disease-riddled birds.

For some reason, I felt better about that. Apparently others did, too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:39 am 

11 yrs old... got my Crosman 38T and ran into the garage, set up a peace of sheet metal and fired at it...of course it came straight back into my forehead first shot. Good times.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:13 am 

When we were kid's we would get shipped up to my fathers for the summers and Gramps would always give us $10 for the trip.One year the bus broke down in Lac la hache.There was a old junk store with a gelcado 25 and a tin of bulldog's for ten buck Well I blew the bank and my three older brothers laughed and bought soft drinks and candy bars.When we got to the cabin the squirrel's had moved in and on my uncle property was hundred's.He paid me 10 cent's a tail and put them in a stag tobacco can I made my money back the 1st week.The rainy day's were spent wood burning the stock with a nail heated on the wood stove.A few year's ago my uncle past and my cus and I were in the barn Cleaning stuff out and low and behold on a beam there was that can still had fur in it.Well the gun sit's in the mancave and still shoots like a dream.1974 I was 10.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:25 pm 

When I was a kid in elementary school (age 11-12) I had a friend who's family had an old farmhouse located on a huge property near Shawville Que. They would use this farmhouse as their cottage and go there on weekends. It was very rustic with no electricity, no indoor plumbing with only an old water pump to pump water from the well. Occasionally my friend and I would shoot bottles, cans and the occasional groundhog with the three or four lead pellet and .22 caliber rifles they had on hand to get rid of varmints. We were so close to the actual wilderness that my friend's mom would warn us to be careful of other hunters in the area.

I have not shot a BB or pellet gun until I recently bought a Daisy BB pistol.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:38 pm 

I don’t remember how old i was. Maybe 10 or 11. Corner Brook NL. I had met a guy at school who grew up with guns, and we became friends. Only he lived 4 miles away, so school was where we enjoyed each other’s company, until one day I got permission to go visit him. Neither of our families owned a car, so one summer day, I walked to his house. After asking around where he lived I found him. He was outside shooting with a couple of other kids, at bottles and cans. At the time, each had a daisy red ryder. I had never fired or held a gun before that day. My friend handed me the ryder and I took aim at a pepsi bottle from about 10 yds and it shattered, barely, HOWEVER !!!, I was hooked. I walked that 4 miles many times that summer, just so I could shoot that red ryder.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:28 pm 

My mom took me to a fair where they had a springer pellet gun mounted on a metal pole stand. Downrange of about 10m, there was a backstop wall with a bunch of evenly spaced coloured balloons tied to it. Good times. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:36 pm 

I didn't get into Air guns until quite late in life - so my earliest memory of shooting is going with my father and a friend out to Shawnigan Lake north of Victoria, BC and shooting a single shot Cooey .22 rifle at some targets when I was about 11 years old (1970).

I am pretty sure that that singular experience of doing something with my Dad led to my love of Air guns later in life...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:42 pm 

First time ever tasting salt water, reached over, touched the drop of water, it transferred to my finger... into the mouth it went!! hahaha.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:35 pm 

FarmerDanz wrote:
First time ever tasting salt water, reached over, touched the drop of water, it transferred to my finger... into the mouth it went!! hahaha.

I guess you missed the first line of post #1...

Quote:
Of coarse this has to be while shooting your Air gun/rifle. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:16 pm 

I was about 8 or 9, my neighbor received a Daisy Red Ryder for his birthday and at his first shot, he aimed at the side of the sidewalk and the BB's rebound came right on me and broke one of my teeth in half. His father grabbed the Daisy Red Ryder and smashed it on a big stone.