Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:48 pm 

'Bout 8 years old, brother, 10 years old bought a Slavia .177 Air Rifle with his 'paper delivery money'.

We used that one a lot, until I was 12, when my uncle gave me a .22 Ace single shot, Cooey. After that,

the air rifle was only used for shooting pests in the back yard, squirrels, starlings, sparrows, cats and chickadees.

I, ahhhh, :oops: regret very much shooting the chickadees.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:55 pm 

PGAir wrote:
I was about 8 or 9, my neighbor received a Daisy Red Ryder for his birthday and at his first shot,
he aimed at the side of the sidewalk and the BB's rebound came right on me and broke one of my teeth in half.
His father grabbed the Daisy Red Ryder and smashed it on a big stone.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Wow ! That sucks ! Must have been traumatic ! Not quite as bad, but I know kinda how you must have felt...
When I was about the same age my Dad and I were shooting one of his old Flints at bottles. One shot didn't break the bottle
and a pellet came back and hit me in the neck! Man I thought I was shot!!! Just waiting for the blood to start flowing...!
All it did was leave a nasty red spot...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:50 pm 

PGAir wrote:
I was about 8 or 9... he aimed at the side of the sidewalk and the BB's rebound came right on me and broke one of my teeth in half.

This brings up a curious question: at that age was it a baby tooth? If so did the tooth fairy only leave half the money under the pillow? Sorry, couldn't resist. Round here the tooth fairy is serious business.

This also brings up another memory from my childhood. Years before I had my own rifle I would often see this guy on a wheelchair in our street. My father told me that a few year earlier a friend of his, a kid about 10 or so thought it would be funny to aim his pellet rifle at him from across the street and scare him by kicking up dust near him. Well, kids be kids and their aim about in the same ballpark of ability - he fires the gun and the pellet hits the spine. One small stupid move on the part of a kid whose parents didn't take the time to teach him safe gun handling practices and his friend is paying a lifetime for that joke gone bad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:11 pm 

Easy- was Christmas when I was 6 y/o. Was a Daisy 102 in one of those boxes that was wider at the butt end than at the muzzle end and box could be made into a gun carrier of sorts. Not until I got my first bicycle was anything so exciting as getting that first BB gun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:41 pm 

HuskyDude wrote:
PGAir wrote:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Wow ! That sucks ! Must have been traumatic !.

Only sucks now IF I think about it. It was not traumatic then, it was fun. There were millions of them, it seemed.

We likely assumed chickadees were on the same list as English sparrows, starlings and grackles. Maybe they were?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:56 pm 

Pretty sure HuskyDude's concern was in response to PGAir's admission that he was shot in the mouth :!:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:10 pm 

You're right - my mistake, Joolz.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:33 pm 

Didn't mean to come across sounding like the thread police, just wanted to point that out in order to prevent outcry for them chickadees :)

Few decades from now we may feel the same towards starlings and them damned pigeons. You had no way of knowing back then.