Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:59 pm 

Or said it's okay to use even the light weight high speed alloy pellets just don't make the dry shot should be fine?

I heard and understood that a heavier pellet will give more resistant force back to the spring to make it run smoothly. But I also want to know what's heavy enough for this and what should I avoid ??

For a non-pal springer, for .22, should I avoid pellets lighter than 13g and how about the .177? Should I avoid pellet lighter than 7g?

Because heavier pellets will shoot slower, I just want to find a better balance spot there ....

Sent from my LG mobile

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:47 pm 

Just stick with these.You seem to like 'em.

Attachments:
_20171124_214354.JPG
_20171124_214354.JPG [ 22.97 KiB | Viewed 486 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:52 pm 

Alright ~ you are good, very good !!
I wilk keep you in my mind~

ヽ(`д´)ノ

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:53 pm 

Guys ~ don't let ppl hijack the topic...

It's a very serious question... as I want to use my light weight hyper speed alloy pellets on my Hatsan... but I am afraid that I break the spring in to 3 pieces about thousand shots (which there were somebody got screwed that maybe due to this reason...)

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:07 pm 

You can use light alloy pellets in your non PAL springers without worry about damaging the spring or seal.
But they are not likely to improve your experience. For non PAL I have found the JSB RS pellets shoot very well for both energy and flat trajectory, and generally group between good to excellent for most of my non PAL rifles.
:drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:28 pm 

Most light weight alloy pellets perform really badly in my experience. For springers, I would stick with light to medium lead pellets. Most springers don't like super heavy pellets because there is too much back pressure, which is bad for the spring as well. While pneumatic (pump/co2/pcp) gets the highest FPE with the heaviest pellet in most cases, you'll find that springers have a certain medium pellet weight that they prefer that would yield the highest FPE.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:27 pm 

If you are defining the word need as "If I use a light weight pellet on a under 500fps rifle will it break the spring?"
the short answer is no. It would not be as detrimental as cocking your rifle and pulling the trigger without a pellet in it.
Which would cause the piston to slam against the compression tube body and causing unwanted forces on everything.
Might break the piston, seal, or spring.
But even using heavier pellets still puts stain on the piston/spring components.
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish using a light weight pellet...Do you have a bunch and just want to use them up? Or trying to gain more FPS??? Image
No way will a light weight pellet be as accurate down range as a lead one. (Read the Book)

There are So so many articles and videos out there on choosing the right pellet. You need to do some searching and do lots of reading.

A great book to read is The Practical Guide to Man-powered Weapons and Ammunition by Richard Middleton
A great read and for $10 it is worth. You'll learn at lot.
But for now just watch these...
Selecting the Pellet
Everything You May Not Know About Spring Piston Air Rifles

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:29 am 

Thanks guys ! That's so helpful and I like to watch TV and read books (not include text book yet ~ but I will try to put it to my kindle and read it at any time [emoji16])

For a lighter pellet, I want to gain some extra fps. But I am afraid that the light weight lead free pellet do bad things to my springer so I asked the question.

I am still trying different pellets on my Hatsan mod 25 to try to find out the one she loves...

Actually I don't think I would shoot targets more than 20 yards far. So it looks lots of the pellet issues I can avoid in this range

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender