Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:48 pm 

I’ve been shooting my springers lately ( which I’ll be the first to admit I’m not the best with.) I’ve begun noticing that shooting my tx200 vs my hw50s that I can produce almost the exact same sized groups at the same distance. I’m shooting indoors at about 39ft currently. I know this isn’t long distance shooting but I’m surprised that they are so close in results. It’s making me question why all the higher end spring guns are so heavy and whether that weight is actually required.

My 50s is .22 and has a vortek kit and is shooting around 600fps. The tx200 is .22 has a vortek as well and is shooting around 640fps. There is a little less felt recoil with the tx but otherwise I cannot say they behave much differently. Aesthetics aside, if I were going out for an afternoon or doing anything but bench shooting, I’m going with the lighter weight 50s every time. Even at the bench the 50s is as nice to use.

Is there really much advantage to the heavy weight guns that I’m not seeing? Sure you could make a stock out of cement and it would be rock solid and wouldn’t budge on firing, but at some point the weight trade off isn’t worth it. Based on my experience so far, even the weight put into the tx doesn’t seem worth it.

Go ahead, call me crazy, I can take it!

FWB 300S, FX Dreamline FT, Hammerli AR20
Other goodies!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:09 pm 

Not that I know anything but my understanding is the extra weight is harder to move around. Smooths out those micro quirky twitches a bit. Must be some reason 10m air rifles has a weight limit provided you have the training to take advantage. I however do not. I prefer a lighter rifle, around 7ish lbs is much easier for me to shoot offhand over something 10lbs+. I flat out get tired and cannot stop the swaying after 60 or so shots.

I'm very interested in reading others input.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:22 pm 

The more powererful a Springer, the more it needs the weight.... At under 12 FPE it shouldn't be as critical....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:47 pm 
Site Moderator

I'm still enjoying my light .177cal Crosman Optimus. With the Leapers 3-9x32AO scope mounted, the weight is 7 1/2 pounds. It's tuned to 800fps with 7.9gr pellets.

It would be nice to see a hunting under-lever with a 7 to 7 1/2 lb weight. Unfortunately the inner receiver sleeve design on rifles such as the TX-200, HW77/97 and Diana 48/52/54 all have crazy weights. The solution might be to get rid of all that internal metal. The HW57 was one attempt but the pop-up breach leaves a transition that the pellet has to jump and accuracy can suffer. The Diana 46 Carbine always had my interest but I don't think they are made anymore. The 46 had a flip-up loading port but the pellet was pushed directly into the barrel. The Diana 430 is a bit lighter (7.9 lbs) than many other U/L models but it still has that heavy inner sleeve design.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:50 pm 

Browning leverage with a new spring?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:37 pm 
Site Moderator

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Browning leverage with a new spring?

I think this one is 8.6 lbs without optics.