Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: HW40 vs P17
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:06 pm 

Finally picked up my HW40 from the post office. Due to the holiday season and the delay of package returned back to the station, I waited about 5 extra days to get it...

Just a very short review from me with some closeup shots which would be the most attractive parts for you guys.

For technical detailed comparison please refer to other reviews for the same items written by the senior forum members and from other forums~ i.e. Please check below...

viewtopic.php?t=33212

Okay ~ go back to my review!

The first thing I noticed is the HW40 has a matte finish and my P17 has a smooth finish. It's hard to say who's better. But HW40 do have a better molded frame that comes with less sharp edges except only the inner edge of the top frame. I did the same using a 1000# sand paper to fix it.

And I did the same but went farther to sand all around my P17, as I was cut by the inner edge, rear sight, handle grip... but I have to say after sanding, the gun looks and feels so much better and I don't want to put it back to the table after taking it in my hand...

And I love the cal size marked on the barrel of the HW40 most. In my one, it's showed on the side venting hole of the top frame ( not like previous version which showed on the bottom of the barrel and you need to open the overlever to see it.)

And the HW40 was oiled well (too well) in the factory. When I open the box, I even found a small amount of oil in the bag close to the muzzle. I believe it's came out from the barrel. I didn't put any pellet on it thought I removed the stem and use cloth to clean the tube and fired it some times. I can see the oil mist bursted out from the muzzle... I have my cleaning pellets in hand now and will use my bamboo rod to clean the barrel tomorrow before firing the first shot~

And, my HW40 has a black color tube~ I like it too~

I like the trigger of HW40 more. Same 2 stage trigger. First stage is not adjustable and it's also longer than the P17. Before touching the HW40, in my mind the trigger of the P17 is so well and I never used trigger like it before. But once you touch the trigger of the HW40, you will find that's not good enough and there is still some room to be improved.

Please see pictures below. If you want picture of other parts of the gun, please let me know. I can take more pictures and fulfill your needs ~

In general, you got what you paid. The material and craftsmanship of the HW40 is not comparable by the P17. But for the price of the P17, actually it's unbeatable at all by any other guns in the market too.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my LG mobile

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

Post subject: Re: HW40 vs P17
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:01 am 

Nice observations, comments and great pics YY! Looking forward to your firing-accuracy findings!

If you find the HW40 trigger pull too long, there is "some adjustment" in the triggers' 2mm pre-travel screw. My P3 (HW4) out-of-the-box 1st stage trigger pull was an easy and smooth 6oz of 1\2" PT with a crisp glass-like breaking brick wall 2nd stage of 15oz! However, I did adjust the PT screw to reduce the length of 1st stage pre-travel pull to just 7\32" (very livable). Without any further trigger mod, the trigger PT screw CW adjustment is now bottomed out and the sear break is still a crisp glass breaking 15 ounces...NICE and SWEET!

I also smoothed out my P17's top over-lever dovetail by rubbing the edges with just paper towels and some "elbow grease" (effort)! The P3 (as per your HW40), came with an overall finer finished polymer frame. I eventually passed some felt .177 pellets through the bore (pellgun oil soaked) and cleaned out some "grease gunk" that apparently came with the air gun and obtained clean, shinny rifling. Overall, P3 components are machined SS and surfaces seem squared and trued very well. Trigger, safety and ext. hammer latch are metal and also find the polymer build very tough with a non-slip textured surface.

Still for what it is, the P17 is very accurate, a great bargain and also a fun pellet pistol to shoot!

Merry Christmas! :mrgreen:

Ted

Benjamin Trail NP .177
Umarex Trevox .177
Beeman P17 .177's (2)
Beeman P3 .177
Bear River BOA .177 (2)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:18 am 

This morning I cleaned the barrel...

Dropped a cleaning pellet from the muzzle, and used the rod to push it down.... WOW! What a big drop of oil pushed out from the other end by the completely soaked cleaning pellet... The oil almost filled up to reach the bottom nut of the rear sight! Finally used my several cleaning pellets to get the job done.

Then I put 2 real pellets through it. Very nice tight fit barrel on my new arrival JSB express. And the pellet hit very close to the point on the small snow pile I aimed.

Later in the afternoon I would have some time to sight it in. I am pretty sure it will shoot fine because I didn't hear about anyone complained that his P3 shoots bad ~

Oh, forget to mention that my HW40's rear fiber sight is amber color, and glows a little bit brighter than my P17~

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:23 am 

Theo98 wrote:
Nice observations, comments and great pics YY! Looking forward to your firing-accuracy findings!

If you find the HW40 trigger pull too long, there is "some adjustment" in the triggers' 2mm pre-travel screw. My P3 (HW4) out-of-the-box 1st stage trigger pull was an easy and smooth 6oz of 1\2" PT with a crisp glass-like breaking brick wall 2nd stage of 15oz! However, I did adjust the PT screw to reduce the length of 1st stage pre-travel pull to just 7\32" (very livable). Without any further trigger mod, the trigger PT screw CW adjustment is now bottomed out and the sear break is still a crisp glass breaking 15 ounces...NICE and SWEET!

I also smoothed out my P17's top over-lever dovetail by rubbing the edges with just paper towels and some "elbow grease" (effort)! The P3 (as per your HW40), came with an overall finer finished polymer frame. I eventually passed some felt .177 pellets through the bore (pellgun oil soaked) and cleaned out some "grease gunk" that apparently came with the air gun and obtained clean, shinny rifling. Overall, P3 components are machined SS and surfaces seem squared and trued very well. Trigger, safety and ext. hammer latch are metal and also find the polymer build very tough with a non-slip textured surface.

Merry Christmas! :mrgreen:

Ted

Actually I like the longer travel distance on the HW40, it will let me prepare better to hit the 2nd stage. But I tighten the second stage a little bit... I did more the first time and found it's too sensitive then I loose it a little bit.

The grips for the two are both good! Anyway I have 2 rubber sleeves for pistol grips coming from China which I bought 2 or 3 weeks ago from eBay. I will see if it's better to put the cloth on the grip then!

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:49 pm 

Alright~ got it sighted in ~

5 shots about 7 yards away with my arms rest on the comfort sofa sit back and my new tiny duct seal back stopper~ ( humm... Not include the first shot on the upper left corner, fine tubed one click after it, and the remained 5 shots almost one on one...)

But... I have my 11mm red dot coming... Do I really need to zero it?! Anywaya it doesn't harm! [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:01 am 

Oh, and I can confirm that my HW40 has a slightly tighter barrel than the P17, and then the P17 has slightly tighter barrel than the mod 25...

So the RWS hobby can't fit in the HW40, and the Crosman super point can't fit in the P17...

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:08 pm 

YepYep wrote:

5 shots about 7 yards away with my arms rest on the comfort sofa sit back and my new tiny duct seal back stopper~ ( humm... Not include the first shot on the upper left corner, fine tubed one click after it, and the remained 5 shots almost one on one...)

But... I have my 11mm red dot coming... Do I really need to zero it?! Anyway it doesn't harm! [emoji16]

GREAT 1st grouping and shooting, YY! :shock:

My "used" and "looser barrel" P3 will shoot that tight group, but just 1 in maybe 20 tries with open iron sights (more of My lack of skill & precision)!! :oops:

Ted

Benjamin Trail NP .177
Umarex Trevox .177
Beeman P17 .177's (2)
Beeman P3 .177
Bear River BOA .177 (2)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:00 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Great comparison and pics, YY. Thanks.
I find that my P17 had a long travel, and I could only turn the trigger screw clockwise a little... I had to guess which hex screw fits because the hole is deep and not very visible. It shortened the travel a bit but not as much as I'd hoped. Also, I can't tell where my 2nd stage is when pulling the trigger. Just a long pull and then BANG, somewhere in the middle of the travel.

FX Streamline .22, Benjamin Discovery .22, Weihrauch HW30 .177, Webley Alecto .22, Weihrauch HW40, Beretta PX4, Crosman 22XX .22, Colt Peacemaker BB, Beeman P17, Gamo 45

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:42 pm 

Theo98 wrote:
YepYep wrote:

But... I have my 11mm red dot coming... Do I really need to zero it?! Anyway it doesn't harm! [emoji16]

GREAT 1st grouping and shooting, YY! :shock:

My "used" and "looser barrel" P3 will shoot that tight group, but just 1 in maybe 20 tries with open iron sights (more of My lack of skill & precision)!! :oops:

Ted
I can't do that with the standing or any other post without the rest... So the hero is the gun, not my shaking hands ~

Targe was put on the table of the dinning room, and I 'hide' myself behind the sofa on the TV room where just connecting to the dining room. And then I can lean my whole body on the back of the sofa and rest the arms on the cushion....

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:45 pm 

CZ-Sniper wrote:
Great comparison and pics, YY. Thanks.
I find that my P17 had a long travel, and I could only turn the trigger screw clockwise a little... I had to guess which hex screw fits because the hole is deep and not very visible. It shortened the travel a bit but not as much as I'd hoped. Also, I can't tell where my 2nd stage is when pulling the trigger. Just a long pull and then BANG, somewhere in the middle of the travel.
Please refer to Ted's post to see if you can do the same... As the screw hole on the trigger just lead to the adjustment of the second stage. Maybe you should try to use more slightly pull at the very first to see if you can feel the 2nd stage which actually really needs a little bit more forece to pull...

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:53 pm 

And it should the the 2mm hex driver I think?! The same one to loose the stem (piston) locking screw.

I didn't try to adjust the P17, on my HW40, actually I think I can turn it at least a full circle as I tried to turn it from both sides of the finger guard...

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:30 am 

Yep ~ today I turned back to play with the P17 and tried to adjust the trigger on the P 17.

Interesting that it looks the P17 has different adjustment setup on the trigger!!

I found that on my P17, the tiny screw on the trigger is for adjusting the whole travel distance ( only on travel distance on the trigger to adjust ). You turn the screw clock-wisely will shorten the stage 1 travel distance and give longer stage 2 travel distance.

So, I turn it counter clockwisely almost to the end. Then right now my trigger on the P17 has a long travel on stage 1, then you can feel the stage 2, and then pull it a very little more to break the glass and shoot ~ about 90% in stage 1 and 10% remained for stage 2.

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:33 am 

@ CZ-Sniper, I think in your case maybe the trigger screw was truned to either end of the travel distance so you can't feel and it looks like only one stage and you can only pull it one way to the end and 'bang!'...

Try to turn the screw either way to see the difference and then you can adjust it properly ~

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender