Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:26 pm 

So I am going to enter back into the world of air rifles. I am a avid hunter but think it's time to stop plinking rifles in the off season. I am just gonna get to the point. Rabbits, the odd chicken around farm, varmits are my targets. I am looking for a .22 springer (I think), would like decent quality with future mods. Was thinking of a Diana 34with the t 06 trigger as a starter. I will be mounting a scope as well. Question's are they still worth the money? are there any equivalent rifles or better ones anyone can recommend with taking into account my price range and uses? nitro vs springer(ignorant here). I hate the twang noise but I see you can upgrade, to make a bit better I would like to top out at $500candian before tax but could look at a little more but not much, why I would like one which you can add mods to in future if I am digging it, as I did when I was younger. Any specific advice about the 34 for mods would be appreciated or anyone with other brands that are comparable would be great to hear actual opinion who use. Sorry new to this world again and the more you search the more you question lol :rolleyes:

Thanks Aaron
"those who look at others first, need to look at themselves"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:12 pm 

For $90 more you could have this,, keeping in mind no further charges for tax.

topic77430.html

Won't get much better at that price point.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:59 pm 

Just out of curiousity. Why the springer? Ever tought about a PCP (Pre Charged Pneumatic)? The Discovery is a nice entry level PCP with a ton of mod available for it down the road. 450$ without the pump. Used pump are easy to buy for cheap when most of us upgrade to the bottle.
There's also the Maximus at a really affordable 290$ but it has a plastic stock.

I don't think you'll regret your purchase for what you intend to do with it BUT be warned! Airgunning is slippery slope and PCP are even worst. They're like the dark side of airgunning. Once you go PCP there's no coming back. The power, the accuracy, the complete lack of twang and recoil, the no scope destroying part etc. Next thing you know you'll be looking at 1000$ airguns.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:16 pm 

vortekproducts.com carries full power and 12 ft lb tune kits for the D34. I have owned a 24, 24c, 240 classic and 280 and in my opinion Diana is a high quality gun but all the guns I have bought brand new from Diana have been dry with little to no lube. Out of the box all of them honked when I cocked them and it became more and more difficult to cock the gun with use. After a quick tear down and lube they all shot very well.. I have never have an issue with the "twang" noise on a Diana. Weihrauch is comparable but you may have to spend more than you would on a D34. I am not sure if Diana's T06 trigger is as good or better than than the rekord trigger on the Weihrauch guns...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:09 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
For $90 more you could have this,, keeping in mind no further charges for tax.

topic77430.html

Won't get much better at that price point.

X2... 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:28 am 

Thanks for all the replies. I would consider the discovery. I looked at it then got discouraged as i didnt stay focused. I quickly went to marauder then air tanks then $$$$. So i gave up lol i would get if i could find a pump etc reasonable. So i gave myself a week to make a decision, if i cant by new years then i will purchase diana. So please any relative exsperience or advise throw my way. Again rabbit odd chicken varmints. within 60-80ft thinking .22!
Many thanks,
Aaron
"U should always look at your own actions before looking at anothers "

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:50 am 

I,m not sure about the 34 but the Discovery is not backyard friendly especially if you have close neighbors.

I have the disco and just never get to use it because of this reason.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:07 pm 

topic78175.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:32 pm 

Skanzy wrote:
http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic78175.html

A great deal. If I had a need for a 22 springer I would have sent money already. Mind you that applies to the hw97k as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:54 pm 

34 with T06 trigger would be an excellent place to start, to answer your question.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:24 pm 

Here's a hand pump for pretty cheap that would go well with the discovery. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2634649204
I've got a similar Chinese one, works good. Piles of guys have bought them, I know several have said they work better than the hill pump, which is hard to believe being its so much more expensive, but they do work well anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:27 pm 

I forgot to mention Canada shooting supply has beeman chief on 10% off plus free shipping for a great price as well! The free shipping is special to the chief and not advertised on the site that I can see.
http://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/beem ... f-pcp.html
10% off $249 and free shipping is a great deal!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:07 pm 

I did not ask and you did not say but.....
are you right handed or left handed
if your left handed I would tell you to stay away from
the TX97 it's a wonderful rifle but the cheek piece will not agree
with you if your a lefty.

But if your a righty then get any of the 2 rifles.
you wont regret any.

i have a 97k in .177 with many mobs that shoots like a lazer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:10 pm 

And Don't forget This one. and if you tell him your from the CAF you get 10%

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... ifle-p-970

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:40 am 

The 34, which you asked about, and no one seems to be addressing, with a vortex is a real pleasure to shoot.

The nitro piston guns, like the XL1100 is a real beast and takes a lot of work to shoot well.

I'd put up my 34 against any HW product, of which I have several.