Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:53 pm 

I have no problem seeing far, but for near in my hands my arms not long enough...a result of sitting with a static screen for two decades...
I am a long range competition shooter in archery, but the sights are there a little different, looking through a peep and centering the scope in the opening, also using a lens in front scope with larger pins (0.080" or larger vs 0.009-0.02 my competitors). I had so far great results competing for many years.
When there is a low light condition like indoors or heavy overcast conditions inside deep in a forest Field games (pupils are larger opening) occasionally I use a Varga shooting glasses, I made the lenses DIY suited to my needs, so the two lenses - in shooting frame (about 1" from pupil) and my front scope (about 30" away from pupils) works pretty well.
Of course summertime in open sky and bright sunlight helps me a best :)
Now I would like to do pistol shooting, but both the front and rear sight is "inside" my sighting range I cannot see, my arms not long enough. Tried the Varga shooting frame with lenses I made for archery not really working neither with the rear sight or the target. In archery I figure a smaller blur of target works with my mind the best...
For my heavy modded QB I've got a nice high power Field scope, whenever my son't shooting with it I am shocked how much off their setup was from my sharp view.
Do you pistol folks have some magic trick or different equipment I am no aware of?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:55 pm 

I'm nearsighted. I just use my RX, that I got made into a 1/2 frame shooting glasses.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:03 pm 

I bought .25 and .50 dipoter computer glasses from a shop in Ontario. I ordered them from the States (google search) and they were sent from an outfit in Ontario.

I tried them both but did not like the narrow lenses, so order the lowest diopter I could from a local eye-glass shop - .75 diopter. They work well for me, BOTH sights

clear and target a bit fuzzier. Guess what - the centre of the fuzzier target is the X ring. My open sight shooting is better now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:33 pm 

I use reading glasses but pop the lens out of the non-dominant eye side. That way, the aiming eye can focus on the front sight and the other eye keeps the target in focus at the same time (once you get used to it).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:43 pm 

DDtank wrote:
I use reading glasses but pop the lens out of the non-dominant eye side. That way, the aiming eye can focus on the front sight and the other eye keeps the target in focus at the same time (once you get used to it).
Uhh~ it looks not that easy to get used to ~ [emoji16][emoji16]

I tried a very long time to get used to open both eyes while using the red dot. But for open sight.... Try it later ~

But it looks I don't need to use glasses while aiming... It looks I don't need a sharp picture to aim... ( But using a scope make me feel better ~ [emoji16])

Sent from my LG mobile

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:28 pm 

YepYep wrote:
DDtank wrote:
Uhh~ it looks not that easy to get used to ~ [emoji16][emoji16]

I use reading glasses as well. I tried DDtank's method of removing the lens out of the non-aiming eye. Since I shoot right-handed but am left eye dominant, I got two competing images while aiming; like watching a 3D movie without the 3D glasses. Like YepYep, I could not get used to it.

Instead I covered the lens of my non-aiming eye with an opaque film. I used some left-over window security/frosting film, but I've read somewhere that plain scotch tape works just as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:06 am 

I need something for rear-front sight just cannot see them, have two shorter crossbow scopes but unfortunately cannot mount them on my replica pistols...
otherwise I can see I have a pretty steady form holding solid on spot...my grouping is pretty tight but off center because...
for reading computer using 1.5-1.7 diopter...
also from archery I got used to have only my dominant R-eye open

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:15 pm 

DDtank wrote:

I use reading glasses for almost everything up close. But can not get use to them while shooting.
I haven't tried "popping out the lens" trick yet but will give it a try.
I know a few F fighters and Peace officers that have had Monovision LASIK.
And swear by it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:28 pm 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reading-Glasse ... 3448954031

.5's would work well for me, but .75's are the only ones I could get locally. Had I the address above, I'd have ordered these in .5 dipoter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyekepper-Read ... 3448954031

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:03 pm 

perhaps fabricating something of this sort would be worth a try. lots of good ideas on youtube.
http://www.eyepalusa.com/index.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:18 pm 

tpoof wrote:
perhaps fabricating something of this sort would be worth a try. lots of good ideas on youtube.

EyePal

Okay who's gonna try them and report back to the clan???? Image

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:57 pm 

HuskyDude wrote:
tpoof wrote:

EyePal

Doesn't a small piece of black electrical tape with a 2-3 mm hole punched in the middle of it basically the same thing? Or is there more to this than meets the eye (pun intended)?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:09 pm 

I'm in the same boat as you. Can't read small print unless I've got reading glass on (+1.50)

How well do you get along with you optician?

A few years back, went to my optician with my AP and my Varga and told him about the problem. If I remember correctly, I ended up with a +0.50 prescription lens in my Varga for the shooting eye.

I also use a adjustable iris, to deal with the lighting variations

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:35 pm 

My close-up vision is a big blur, but I found a way to shoot open sights and red dots and actually see a dot. 1.5X diopters with an Eye Pal stuck on the right lens is ideal for me. I tried 1.75X and found the target to be less sharp than the 1.5X. With, say, rubbery electrical tape, one can make a tiny square hole - doesn't need to be round - by overlapping the tape on one lens of the diopters to make a peep hole which favors poor close vision. I prefer scopes, but not all my pistols have that capability. RC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:46 pm 

ezplnkr wrote:
HuskyDude wrote:
tpoof wrote:

EyePal

Doesn't a small piece of black electrical tape with a 2-3 mm hole punched in the middle of it basically the same thing? Or is there more to this than meets the eye (pun intended)?

there is a vid of a fella on Youtube who made one out of a pair of clip-on sunglasses(drilled a hole, used black electric tape) and is claiming great success. I feel it would be worth the try. thinking of trying myself cept all my rifles have scopes and pistols red dots. I miss open sights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk