Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:22 pm 

This morning while I closed the top frame I hear some air leaking sound... And after occasionally shooting in a whole day then the sound became louder and louder...

After dinner, I decided to give it a check. And found the piston seal (#117/116 o ring ) has a tiny worn mark... Then I polished the piston stem and replaced a new o ring for it. And this solved half of the problem....

And here it comes ~ in the first some shots with the new o ring, the air leaking sound was still there.... Then, I cocked it again, and pull the trigger (no pellet), but the dry shot sounds something was shooting out and comes a sound like the spring hitting something from inside the gun... And then while I cock the gun, air was leaked directly from the breach hole.....

I thought I have to touch the internal parts this time...

Took off the handle grip, took a picture ( very important!! ), and started to deal with the springs....

Didn't find anything wrong, and the valve seal looks good too, so I didn't replace it. Re assembled everything, the guns runs well now... ( In the mean time, actually I repeated the process twice because of the bad re-assemble the first time and been hit by springs twice on the finger... It's lucky nothing bounced out and lost...)

Anyone knows what happened?!

Sent from my LG mobile

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:38 pm 
Site Moderator

It sounds like your valve got stuck open. Something inside may have got slightly out of place. My sear once moved slightly and the pistol wouldn't fire. Moving it sightly made it function fine for another 5 years or more.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:36 am 

The sear arrangement on those is known for causing problems.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:38 pm 

sounds like the valve was not seating properly or the valve seal has some small debri
it doesn't take much to cause a small leak at times you need to break out the magnify glass
to inspect it that's how small some particles might be... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:50 pm 

I just dis / assembling it several times today including replaced the valve seal looks can't solve the problem yet... But finally crack the trigger spring pin... Need to find a replacement these days and work on it again...

At the mean time, I opened the grip panel of my HW40 to make a comparison to seek some ideas and found the internal jobs on the HW40 just much better than the P17... You paid what you got ~ Image

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:41 am 
Site Moderator

Try one drop of SuperGlue to secure the plastic trigger pin. Make sure you get it back in the exact position for maximum strength. All the pin does is hold the spring so the glue should be enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:17 pm 

Drill it out and replace with a steel pin.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:38 pm 

I collected different lengths screws with nut or not, hex head, round head... And thick copper wire, But I will use super glue at the same time to give some extra hold on the new pin ... And looks what I don't have in hand is the super glue, will find it tomorrow... Maybe have time for this in the weekend I think...

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:51 pm 

Drill the center of the pin and the pin emplacement and insert a steel pin and use super glue.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:06 pm 

Just pulled the handle grip off of one of mine and had a quick look. That pin measures 3mm.
It would take little effort to drill a proper hole through the left hand grip (Lots of plastic to support a new pin).
JB weld a steel or even a small piece of 3mm carbon fiber round stock all the way through the left grip.
C/F round stock found at your LHS. (Local Hobby Store)
They also would have some screws 3mm or 4-40 with a small nut like mentioned too. Du-Bro makes some.

Good source for socket set screws too. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:19 pm 

got the JB weld super glue, tried to bond the plastic pin back first, but proved that is not working for such a tiny pin...

Drilled and use 3mm screw, works fine. And bonus that the spot on the grip is not affecting the hold hand of the gun ~

Next week will find or trim a best fit screw to replace the temp patch here ~

In the time fixing this up, I also put grease on the place that I saw grease on my HW40. Anyway, didn't expect the 50$ gun works smoothly as the HW40... But should be better than none grease on like before...

And I solve the leaking problem too. It's the valve seal... And I noticed the trigger assemble to pull the valve down is not straight down and up as the HW40 do... a little bit tilt to the muzzle direction... Maybe this is what causing the uneven wear on the valve o ring.... Image

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:20 pm 

Oh, the valve seal is not 'plugged', I find a round mark on it, and with a new one, it seals well now.

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:27 pm 

Glad you could fix er up! Did you just push the screw through the hole you drilled?
Or did you thread it into the plastic. I was wondering if you had enough room for
a thin threaded nut on the inside to help support the screw and keep it tight.
If you have a little bit of JB Weld mixed up you could just drop some on the screw head.
It would fill in the screw head slots. File it a little, paint it black and I bet you could hardly
see it when done!!! Image

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:56 am 

Yep, just drilled a hole and push ( turned ) the screw in... The hole is not align Very well... So it looks the other end of the screw is not fitting into the hole in the right grip panel.

I am thinking to use the copper wire which is about 2.5mm (?!) and it's easy to cut to the prefect length, and use JB to fill the room and hold it right on the left panel...

In the beginning, I also prepared the nut and planned to JB weld it on the right panel and do exactly you said. But think again, it looks not that necessary to have this extra support. The panel is thick enough to hold the new pin well ~

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender