Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Airgun bullets
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:21 pm 

Well, Joe, you are in luck.... Nick has repaired his dies and is once again selling .22 cal bullets.... In fact, they are all on sale !

https://nielsenspecialtyammo.com/collections/22-caliber

I would suggest contacting him to see what he would recommend for your gun, barrel, and velocity.... Let us know how is goes, Eh ?

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:02 pm 

Hey Joe, another interesting project you're working on as always.
Rough specs on these pellets, 9mm long with 1mm hollow skirt, so not a deep skirt.
I bought them to fill out an order and had grand plans for them but too busy now with life. I don't have much use for them at the moment as they are far to heavy for my sub 500 shooters. My plinkers can lob them but....
In the interest of Airgun Science I would be more than happy to send you a handful for testing. If you like PM me your address and I will mail them out to you.
Attachment:
IMG_2699.JPG
IMG_2699.JPG [ 26.76 KiB | Viewed 208 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:48 am 

[quote="rangerll"]Hey Joe, another interesting project you're working on as always.
Rough specs on these pellets, 9mm long with 1mm hollow skirt, so not a deep skirt.
I bought them to fill out an order and had grand plans for them but too busy now with life. I don't have much use for them at the moment as they are far to heavy for my sub 500 shooters. My plinkers can lob them but....
In the interest of Airgun Science I would be more than happy to send you a handful for testing. If you like PM me your address and I will mail them out to you.
Attachment:
IMG_2699.JPG
[/quote.

Thanks for the generous offer. However, I have tried all of the heavy hitters in the “ pellet” family, including the 35 gr Eun Jin, and all were less than exceptable for accuracy at 100 yds.
Mostly my attention is with “bullets” right now. Curiosity mostly. In fact I still have a few of those rabbit magnums in my pellet collection, that I considered melting down since none of my guns would group well with them.
What I haven’t considered until just now, is “Swaging” existing pellets into bullets. I’m having a lot of fun experimenting with these DIY “air gun” related projects, and will certainly post my results. Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:57 am 

On a side note, My friend Watertown, and I have built a basic mould for my 357 cal smoothbore multipump. It was designed to shoot 3/8” dia steel balls, but the steel balls don’t group well, and are rather loose in the barrel. Here’s a few pics of the first slugs from the mould. I need to do some tweaking and a lot of practise to get decent results, but these initial results look promising.https://imgur.com/a/q7LzB. https://imgur.com/a/iVOfE. https://imgur.com/a/FBDY2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:29 am 

rsterne wrote:
Well, Joe, you are in luck.... Nick has repaired his dies and is once again selling .22 cal bullets.... In fact, they are all on sale !

https://nielsenspecialtyammo.com/collections/22-caliber

I would suggest contacting him to see what he would recommend for your gun, barrel, and velocity.... Let us know how is goes, Eh ?

Bob

Verrrry interrrresting!

I had extremely poor grouping results with the H&N's out of 2 good bbl.'s from different makers~ I'll try anything once....

The 21 grain on the first page of the link is mighty interesting, and with-in my power range. A little spendy, but still something to consider!

-D.S.

Eye Protection!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:01 am 

I checked out his site, and the bullets he’s offering. I’m a little apprehensive for a couple of reasons. Firstly that they are only .217 in dia, and he admits they are loose in most magazines, therefore contact with the rifling might not be optimal, second is as you said, a bit pricey even on sale, and third is shipping from the US is $26. That works out to $.41 a shot

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:06 pm 

As you are probably aware, Joe, there is NO standardization in diameter in airgun calibers.... That is why pellets have a skirt that is about 0.007" larger than the head diameter.... to allow for all the variation between manufacturers.... and as the tooling wears.... I have had Crosman barrels so loose that some pellets would fall right through.... Pellets are made with a head size averaging 0.217", and skirts about 0.224", but even those vary 0.003" from those averages....

Bullet must FIT the bore properly.... If they are too tight, they are nearly impossible to load, and can get stuck in the bore on firing if you do manage to beat the bolt handle closed.... Some airgun barrels are choked at the muzzle, and experience has shown us that for best accuracy you want the bullet diameter to match the groove diameter at the muzzle, plus or minus 0.001".... Therefore, to know what size bullet you need, simply measure the groove diameter at the muzzle, cast your bullets 0.001" larger, and have three sizing dies, of the muzzle groove diameter and 0.001" either side....

If you think there is a shortcut to this process you will either be disappointed.... or very lucky.... Nick makes his bullets at 0.217" because for the most part guys that purchase them have more powerful guns (to handle the heavier weights).... and many of them have good quality barrels that are accurately made and consistent in size.... Getting them to work in a Crosman barrel, IMO, would be mostly a matter of luck.... You would likely be better off to get your own casting equipment and a couple of moulds.... and a press and die for sizing them to YOUR barrel....

If you give me some idea of the barrel length and pressure you are running, I can give you an idea what weight bullet to try.... as those are the key things in making that decision.... There may or may not be suitable molds available currently.... It is possible that if there are no molds light enough, that you could use pure tin instead of lead to cast them.... which reduces the weight by about 1/3 compared to lead.... and is soft enough (BHN 8 ) to work in an airgun.... It is, of course, more expensive....

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:39 pm 

If you need to resize some bullets, Lee dies are quite inexpensive and they'll make them in which ever diameter you need
- https://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting ... izing-kit/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:10 pm 

IMO a far better arrangement for sizing dies is the one made by NOE.... You purchase ONE die body for $39.95 USD that does ALL calibers up to .51 cal., which fits a standard press such as the inexpensive Lee (which I got).... and then purchase bushings for whatever size you need to do.... The bushing are available in 0.001" increments throughout the common calibers, and Al has made airgun size bushings available as well (you won't find those ANYWHERE else, unless you order a custom die).... The bushings are $9.75 USD each, and you will need a pushrod for each caliber change as well (but not to match each bushing), and they are $7.50 USD each.... By the time you have 2-3 sizes you have already spent less than for Lee dies.... and IMO the NOE bushings are a lot more accurately dimensioned that the Lee dies I have as well....

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php? ... 44c76ksto5

If anyone want to buy my Lee dies for $20 each, just PM me, I have several PB sizes available which I have replaced with the NOE bushings....

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:21 pm 

I want them for my Sumatra. Power is adjustable up to 1200 fps with 18.1 gr. I think the 35 gr EunJin we’re cruising at 850 ish .
As for bullet dia. Since there’s no skirt to expand and catch the rifling, the bullet needs to be forced into the rifling. With the lever action of the Sumatra, that shouldn’t be a problem. As for purchasing my own dies and moulds, I would like to test some bullets first before investing in the gear to make my own. BC moulds has the mould I want, but only as a group buy. I’m going to contact Gregor Kamensek and ask if he would send me some samples. He has a steak in the mould manufacturing, so it makes sense to send out some samples.
Doesn’t hurt to ask.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:28 pm 

Make your bullet fit too tight, and your velocity and accuracy WILL suffer.... getting the right fit is critical for both.... but you'll have fun learning.... Most guys are having the best success with bullets 0.001" under the groove diameter.... (compared to PBs, where most use 0.001" over)....

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:56 pm 

You’re right as usual Bob. I checked with Gregor, and he said the .217 dia are more likely to fit a larger range of air rifles. His .223 dia bullets are too big for my Sumatra. More suited for his Huben.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:08 pm 

Joe - check this out about the Piledrivers. A UK pellet, we just need someone to import them.
Be terrific in PSP or perhaps your S/Stroke pneumatic rifle as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAMSWqJxQ3Y

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:56 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Joe - check this out about the Piledrivers. A UK pellet, we just need someone to import them.

I looked at a few YouTube videos and the accuracy is not great, or even good for that matter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:55 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
Daryl wrote:

I looked at a few YouTube videos and the accuracy is not great, or even good for that matter.

Note they were using the smooth rifled barrel - not a normal grooved barrel. Some of the coments noted that those

rifles do not shoot ANY form of bullet correctly. My AirForce likes the 51gr. and puts them into 3/8" at 50 meters.

So- I'd not discount those bullets on what a rifle that does not shoot anything buy waisted pellets well, does with bullets.