Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:42 pm 
Site Moderator

If the P17 works for you then the HW45 should be fine. My hand is average and I get along with both. The grips are not big.

Here are some grip options to look at. Many Canadian dealers can get a variety of 1911 Pach and Hogue grips. The standard length should work fine. Sometimes you need longer grip screws but I think I only paid about 15 cents each for them at CanTire or HomeDepot.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/pachmayr-1911-grips

https://www.ebay.com/p/Hogue-Rubber-Pis ... /710145950

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... gue&_frs=1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:51 pm 

offroad720 wrote:
HW45 is the original version by Weihrauch
P1 is the American version sold under Beeman

P11 is the same as the Silverstar
P3 is the same as the HW40, the P17 is just a Chinese copy

Could you imagine a Chinese P45??......

Actually there is no "original" version. Dr. Beeman approched Weihrauch to build the gun he had imagined. When he showed up in Germany they had built to recoil less SSP pistol we now know as the HW75 as they did not understand he wanted a springer and what the point of having that kind of recoil in a pistol.
So they built him the P1 and made their HW45 at the same time.

If they could be made as cheap and shoot as well as the P17 does I'd be more than happy to give a Chinese version of each a try. I love my HW45 and the HW75 is on the wish list.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:04 am 
Site Moderator

DocGadget wrote:
offroad720 wrote:

Actually there is no "original" version. Dr. Beeman approched Weihrauch to build the gun he had imagined. When he showed up in Germany they had built to recoil less SSP pistol we now know as the HW75 as they did not understand he wanted a springer and what the point of having that kind of recoil in a pistol.

If they could be made as cheap and shoot as well as the P17 does I'd be more than happy to give a Chinese version of each a try. I love my HW45 and the HW75 is on the wish list.

Thanks Doc... You just described the "original" HW45 version that I was referring to. In contrast, the newer P11 version (aka Silver Star) is not the original HW45/P1 design because the frame's grip shank has been shortened to accommodate the wooden grip. This short grip shank is similar to the HW75 with target grip. Actually, to get technical, the "original" marketed P1/HW45 (1985 vintage) also had a smaller 5 mm breach seal rather than the current 009 size. Let's not get that picky though.

See pics below for comparison of "original" HW45 to newer Silver Star design with shortened grip shank.

Back about 14 years ago I read the old Beeman article that you are referring to above (re: HW45 vs HW75). If you have the old link to the Beeman P1 info (odyssey article) , please post it below so I can enjoy it again. It's good info so I included some of this detail in my old HW45 Review that I first posted back in 2004. See the History section at the beginning. Unfortunately my web site crashed but the archive is still available.
http://web.archive.org/web/200503191234 ... W45Review/

I bought my .22cal HW45 back in 2002. Great pistol! My HW75/P2 I bought as a mildly "used" pistol back in 1991. My HW75 had the target grip option with the shortened grip shank. The newish P11 (Silver Star) just incorporated the HW75 target grip onto the HW45 frame and made it from laminated wood rather than solid.

I give a lot of the HW45/P1 credit to Weihrauch. They came up with the internal design to reach the requested goal. If I remember right, they were given a prototype exterior to follow (soap carving?).

Doc Beeman was a great marketing man. Pretty much everything sold out of Beeman was imported. Even their catalogues were imported. I have one that was printed in Canada and another from China.

Attachments:
HW75.jpg
HW75.jpg [ 45.79 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]
grip shank.jpg
grip shank.jpg [ 51.63 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:41 am 

I can see some different parts from the normal HW45 and the new Star series shortened grip shank... But I don't know what will be the actual difference between these two guns related to those different internal parts.... Looks related to the trigger?!

It looks can or can-not use the 1911 grips is not the only result of these two designs....

Sent from my LG mobile

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:07 am 
Site Moderator

YepYep wrote:
I can see some different parts from the normal HW45 and the new Star series shortened grip shank... But I don't know what will be the actual difference between these two guns related to those different internal parts.... Looks related to the trigger?!

It looks can or can-not use the 1911 grips is not the only result of these two designs....

Sent from my LG mobile

The two pics above are the HW45 and HW75 (with target grip option). That's the best I could find online. The short grip shank on the 75 is shared with the Silver Star (aka P11). The point of the pics are to show that the many Colt 1911 grip options that fit the "original HW45" frame will not fit the Silver Star.

The HW75 has a few more trigger parts (compared to the HW45) for that sweet match grade trigger. It's amazing!

Now you will also need to add a HW75/P2 to your collection after you get the HW45. You need the full collection of HW over-lever pistols...lol :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:31 am 

If the Silver ( Black ) Star share the same shortened shank with HW75 , is that also means the Silver Star uses the same trigger as the HW75?

The HW45 trigger is the best one I used ever.... Can't imagine another BETTER one ~ [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:48 pm 
Site Moderator

YepYep wrote:
If the Silver ( Black ) Star share the same shortened shank with HW75 , is that also means the Silver Star uses the same trigger as the HW75?

The HW45 trigger is the best one I used ever.... Can't imagine another BETTER one ~ [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my LG mobile

Nope. Only the frame is shortened. Wishful thinking on the trigger though. The 45 trigger is nice but the HW75 trigger is very nice. It has more adjustments, if I remember right. It also adjusts down to an extremely light weight.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:27 pm 

The grips on the HW75 are sooooooooo nice!!

But looks nowhere can find this gun now... Maybe the marketing position of this one is not that good?!

I think I won't buy this too ( for the lower powered single stroke pneumatic power plant and...my tight budget ~ ), but if there is a chance, I like to swap the grips of the HW45 Black Star with it ~

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:04 pm 
Site Moderator

https://www.dlairgun.com/Air-Pistols/We ... HW_75.html?

http://www.oshoot.ca/gshop/en/air-pisto ... hw-75.html

Hw75 Grip https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/BN_Grips_HW75/3792

Pyramyd Air has the grip so Oshoot should be able to get one for you.

Last edited by TCooper on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:16 pm 

DocGadget wrote:
Actually there is no "original" version.

Yes, you are correct. I couldn’t recall all the details.

Try this one too, site says they ship to Canada, not sure of the EUR to CAD recently
https://www.mundilar.net/en/weihrauch-pistols/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:22 pm 
Site Moderator

Time travel back to 1985 and there will be one version of the Hw45/P1. This first version had the full length grip shank and the smaller 5 mm breach seal. The Silver Star and Black Star did not exist back then. I can't remember when these newer versions/options came out but I think it was after 2000.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:36 pm 

TCooper wrote:
https://www.dlairgun.com/Air-Pistols/Weihrauch/044_HW_75.html?

http://www.oshoot.ca/gshop/en/air-pisto ... hw-75.html

Hw75 Grip https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/BN_Grips_HW75/3792

Pyramyd Air has the grip so Oshoot should be able to get one for you.
......... [emoji29] every time I scrolled down to the HW70 then stopped.... Never known DL has the HW75.....

The HW75 grip is so expensive... Let me have the HW45 first.... [emoji16]

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:18 pm 

TCooper wrote:
DocGadget wrote:
offroad720 wrote:

Thanks Doc... You just described the "original" HW45 version that I was referring to. In contrast, the newer P11 version (aka Silver Star) is not the original HW45/P1 design because the frame's grip shank has been shortened to accommodate the wooden grip. This short grip shank is similar to the HW75 with target grip. Actually, to get technical, the "original" marketed P1/HW45 (1985 vintage) also had a smaller 5 mm breach seal rather than the current 009 size. Let's not get that picky though.

See pics below for comparison of "original" HW45 to newer Silver Star design with shortened grip shank.

Back about 14 years ago I read the old Beeman article that you are referring to above (re: HW45 vs HW75). If you have the old link to the Beeman P1 info (odyssey article) , please post it below so I can enjoy it again. It's good info so I included some of this detail in my old HW45 Review that I first posted back in 2004. See the History section at the beginning. Unfortunately my web site crashed but the archive is still available.
http://web.archive.org/web/200503191234 ... W45Review/

I bought my .22cal HW45 back in 2002. Great pistol! My HW75/P2 I bought as a mildly "used" pistol back in 1991. My HW75 had the target grip option with the shortened grip shank. The newish P11 (Silver Star) just incorporated the HW75 target grip onto the HW45 frame and made it from laminated wood rather than solid.

I give a lot of the HW45/P1 credit to Weihrauch. They came up with the internal design to reach the requested goal. If I remember right, they were given a prototype exterior to follow (soap carving?).

Doc Beeman was a great marketing man. Pretty much everything sold out of Beeman was imported. Even their catalogues were imported. I have one that was printed in Canada and another from China.

I learned most of this from Tom Gaylord and his PyramydAir blog, from the website Beeman had and info found in the blue books of airguns.

I had no idea the grips of the HW75 were shorter. It means I won't be able to use my shoulder stock on it... well... that sucks!

I don't think I'm ever getting rid of that gun. I don't use it that much, I have more accurate guns, I have easier guns to shoot, but it's special! I can't explain it but there's just something in that gun that does it for me!

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:26 am 

DocGadget wrote:
I don't think I'm ever getting rid of that gun. I don't use it that much, I have more accurate guns, I have easier guns to shoot, but it's special! I can't explain it but there's just something in that gun that does it for me!

Okay... I think that's called love.....

Sent from my LG mobile

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:25 pm 

YepYep wrote:
DocGadget wrote:

Okay... I think that's called love.....

Sent from my LG mobile

:lol: Totally!
I have the P17, I had the Alecto, I even had a FAS pistol that I got rid of because I wasn't shooting it and I tought it deserved a better life.
The HW45 is staying with me.