Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:41 pm 

That's what I thought but wasn't sure, so thanks for confirming that my 50 cent key-less solution is sound. It may get a laugh out of LEO but I don't think that would hurt my feelings much. At least this way should one of the guns that don't fit in the safe be seen around the house, it has this trigger access delay device on.
As for safes, unless it's bolted to the wall you're just making it easier for the thieves to haul it out of your house and into their truck. It doesn't take much to bolt them to a wall, maybe a couple of dollars worth of hardware. Thieves are typically in a hurry and are lazy, so I doubt they'd take the time to try and ply it off the wall, shy of a determined one. Which is why it's good to have a few cheapo guns laying around, they'd settle for those instead since these are easy pickings.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:35 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Thanks everyone for responding to this post -some great feedback and clearly "different strokes for different folks"!

I do believe to the letter of the law for Non-Restricted Firearms in Canada at this time, the only legal requirement for home storage is a secure locking device (trigger lock, removal of bolt, cable lock etc.) so that the firearm(s) cannot be fired and that ammunition be stored separately. Common sense (it can't be taught, you either have it a birth or you don't) however, dictates that all classes of firearms and their associated ammunition be locked in a container or room which cannot easy be broken into. Even the theft of a cheap non-PAL class gun is cause for great concern, because your weapon is no longer under your care and control, and such a theft would need to be reported immediately to your local police department ..... not too sure I'd like to be in the position of having to explain my lapse in judgement and lack of responsibility to Officer Friendly, or wondering where and how my stolen airgun might be used. When I'm at home, and my airguns are beyond arm's length, at the very least they'll have trigger locks installed and be secured in a display case. When I exit the premises, they are always locked in a gun safe.

Personally, I like these inexpensive plastic locks on my airguns at all times, the are small, lightweight and relatively indiscreet, not some monstrous thing covering the entire trigger guard. This ensures that no matter who is handling the firearm, it cannot be accidentally discharged, and this is a real concern with all my PCP rifles, as in a sense, whenever the air reservoir is charged, the gun is "loaded". Even without a pellet in the chamber, this poses quite a safety hazard, as high pressure air exiting the muzzle can still do some serious damage to eyes and ears. I have a feeling very few PCP owners completely bleed off their HPA reservoirs prior to storage -it's difficult enough to keep a PCP firearm within the ideal operating pressure range, and counter intuitive to waste all that air pressure prior to securing your gun. Personally, I don't like taking chances, so the only time a trigger locks is off one of my weapons, is just prior to shooting. The 60 seconds or so of my time to remove one of these cheap plastic locks really isn't a deal breaker for me, and given I have half a dozen air rifles, it's very cost effective.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

Hatsan BT65 SB
Benjamin Marauder
Cometa Orion
Weihrauch HW100S
QB78D Modified HPA 875 FPS
Brocock Concept Super 6
Artemis PP700S-A
Diana Chaser
Snowpeak CP1-M
Artemis PP800