Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:19 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
Hello fellow PCP owners!

A new topic for feedback and discussion. How many of you store your PCP Airgun with a charged air reservoir? Do you bleed off the air supply for safety? Would you consider a pressurized airgun a loaded firearm? I have yet to receive even a brand new air rifle that wasn't already charged with air and ready to fire. Granted, without a pellet in the breech the safety hazard is reduced, however, an accidental discharge and resultant high pressure air burst from the muzzle or even an open breech could certainly do some serious bodily harm. Anyone know if there are specific gun regulations / laws which address this issue? Another very good reason to always keep a trigger lock on your gun.

Avianmanor

Hatsan BT65 SB
Benjamin Marauder
Cometa Orion
Weihrauch HW100S
QB78D Modified HPA 875 FPS
Brocock Concept Super 6
Artemis PP700S-A
Diana Chaser Camo
Snowpeak CP1-M
Artemis PP800

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:40 pm 

Laws state a firearm is not loaded if there is nothing in the chamber or magazine/clip on the gun.

Thus, a charged air tank on the rifle does not make the gun "loaded", unless there is ammo in the chamber or equipped with a loaded magazine.

There is nothing unsafe about having a charged CO2 or Compressed air chamber affixed to an air rifle in storage. All my guns are charged, including the Air

Force Co2 .177 rifle my granddaughter shoots. Nope - that is incorrect - I converted it back to compressed air & yes - it is still charged. Never know when I

might want to shoot one of these.

Of course, they are all stored in the lockup, with the other 30 or 40 guns. If one of those decided to 'go' there is no danger to anyone, is there? They are all

locked up "SAFE" where they are supposed to be, according to the law.

The 4500psi nitrogen tank cabled to the wall in the corner of the shop is likely more 'dangerous', however a single can or bottle of alcohol or airplane fuel is likely much more

dangerous to store, not to mention the can of varsol, acetone, kerosene, spray paint, etc, etc, or the 50 or 60 pounds of gun powder. LOL - where/for to stop???????????????????

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:07 pm 

I can just say what a dangerous place your home is..... [emoji16]

Sent from my LG cellphone

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:22 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Laws state a firearm is not loaded if there is nothing in the chamber or magazine/clip on the gun.

Thus, a charged air tank on the rifle does not make the gun "loaded", unless there is ammo in the chamber or equipped with a loaded magazine.

They are all

Question: said law applies to powder burners? Obviously with nothing in the chamber, the gun is not loaded. A blank cartridge with no projectile would be considered loaded or unloaded? Loaded I think. Taking this one step further (not speaking technically to the letter of the law of course), a compressed air charge in a PCP is stored energy like a cartridge with gunpowder in it, which can be released by pulling the trigger -no projectile but still quite dangerous.

I believe the law for non-restricted firearms reads like this:

"Attach a secure locking device, such as a trigger lock or cable lock (or remove the bolt) so the firearms cannot be fired; or
Lock the firearms in a cabinet, container or room that is difficult to break into."
[/url](http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-f ... ge-eng.htm)[/url]

Common sense however would dictate the use of both trigger locks and secure storage boxes. Personally, I always treat a charged PCP Air Rifle with the same caution and respect as a powder burner with a cartridge in the chamber.

Our homes are filled with a multitude of seemingly benign but equally deadly hazards ...... the one that scares me the most is my wife's oven cleaner!

Hatsan BT65 SB
Benjamin Marauder
Cometa Orion
Weihrauch HW100S
Brocock Concept Super 6
Artemis PP700S-A
Diana Chaser Camo
Snowpeak CP1-M
Artemis PP800

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:44 pm 

Just like a crossbow it can be left cocked and not considered loaded till an arrow is on the flight deck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:54 pm 

Good comparison with the crossbow.... BC Hunting regs. state that a loaded firearm is one with a bullet in the chamber or magazine (which is on/in the gun).... If you are carrying a firearm in a vehicle with a loaded magazine NOT in the gun, it is NOT a loaded firearm....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:54 pm 

Yes - those are the laws for firearms, which most PCP's are, I guess. With no projectile, there is no danger. Oft times, I have held my hand in front of the muzzle of

a PCP when firing to 'see' the impulse wondering if it would be as good as CO2 for shooting wasps - need the weight of the C2, I think. The compressed air does not

hit hard enough or in a concentrated enough area. My FWB model 2 used to break up the wasps completely-close mind you but amazing how good you can get with

aerial shooting them. A bottle of beer brings them in close. As for a handgun blank - yes, considered loaded as there is a projectile, the wad. Now, a rifle blank, like a .223 or .308 with

crimped case mouth, I do not know, as there is no 'ejecta' other than gas.

Muzzle loading guns are not considered loaded with powder and ball (or shot) in the bore, unless there is a cap on the nipple, or powder in the pan of a flintlock.

From that, I would suggest a match-lock can be both charged with powder and ball and the pan primed, but is not loaded unless there is a burning match in the cock's jaws.

Yep Yep - in the 40 odd years that ALL that stuff (and worse) has been in my basement, along with one small fire in my old shop some time back (no where near the powder

lol), there has never been an injury in my shop or house, other than when I fell down the stairs a year ago, or when hitting my thumb with a hammer, once or twice. I may

have cut my hands on chisels for draw knives, once or twice as well. Amazing how such a dangerous place could be so benign for so many years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:07 pm 

Thanks Daryl!

Good to know! You're a braver man than I testing that theory with a PCP! I suppose hearing damage is another consideration.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

Hatsan BT65 SB
Benjamin Marauder
Cometa Orion
Weihrauch HW100S
Brocock Concept Super 6
Artemis PP700S-A
Diana Chaser Camo
Snowpeak CP1-M
Artemis PP800

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:22 pm 

Is there a pellet in the chamber? No than it's not loaded. But you should treat any airgun as if they are a firearm.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:42 pm 

Most PCP and Spring Airguns are firearms according to the law.

Hatsan BT65 SB
Benjamin Marauder
Cometa Orion
Weihrauch HW100S
Brocock Concept Super 6
Artemis PP700S-A
Diana Chaser Camo
Snowpeak CP1-M
Artemis PP800

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:02 am 

Avianmanor wrote:
Most PCP and Spring Airguns are firearms according to the law.

Airguns over 500 FPS are in the criminal code as firearms. Most of use are firearm owners as well airgun owners. If it has no pellet in the chamber, its not considered loaded. All mine have pumps of air in it.

Store them them how you wish to store them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:53 am 

or your acetone, kerosene, gun powder, etc, etc. :lol:
But, safely of course. I store all I don't need at any one time, outside in the shed.
That would be my excess 2F.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:40 am 

Avianmanor wrote:
Daryl wrote:

They are all

Question: said law applies to powder burners? Obviously with nothing in the chamber, the gun is not loaded. A blank cartridge with no projectile would be considered loaded or unloaded? Loaded I think. Taking this one step further (not speaking technically to the letter of the law of course), a compressed air charge in a PCP is stored energy like a cartridge with gunpowder in it, which can be released by pulling the trigger -no projectile but still quite dangerous.

I believe the law for non-restricted firearms reads like this:

"Attach a secure locking device, such as a trigger lock or cable lock (or remove the bolt) so the firearms cannot be fired; or
Lock the firearms in a cabinet, container or room that is difficult to break into."
[/url](http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-f ... ge-eng.htm)[/url]

Common sense however would dictate the use of both trigger locks and secure storage boxes. Personally, I always treat a charged PCP Air Rifle with the same caution and respect as a powder burner with a cartridge in the chamber.

Our homes are filled with a multitude of seemingly benign but equally deadly hazards ...... the one that scares me the most is my wife's oven cleaner!

WIFES oven cleaner ? I know what the most dangerous thing in my house would be if i had said that. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:13 pm 

The "wife's" vacuum cleaner or maybe "wife's" broom, Joe? - or just the wife?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:48 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
WIFES oven cleaner ? I know what the most dangerous thing in my house would be if i had said that. :oops:

In my house, It would be my oven cleaner, or my vacuums.