Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:15 pm 

I remember read related post in the forum before, with pictures and knowledgeable, but I can't dig it out anymore...

Anyway so far I went through more than 10 different weights, sizes, brands, production lines whatever pellets on my HW40 and P17 plus my new purschased old stock used P3.

Shot the HW40 most, and love this one most too.

And obviously the HW40 ( mine ) has a tighter barrel. More tighter than all my other .177 cal barrel feed guns. No pellet can drop into the barrel, only the head is in, and you will need to use your finger tip to push it in position.

So, finally my favor pellet for this gun looks not related to how accurate or how fast the fps etc but the one I can feed into the barrel perfectly ( my finger will feel smooth on the barrel end opening after push in the pellet ). But looks the prize goes the famous pellets with great reputation. So it also proved the good reputation is true!

That includes the R10 Match light, 4.48 JSB light, H&N Finale Match light, RWS yellow box.

Surprising me that in the beginning I don't like the R10, but after almost finished this tin, I like it most for its cleaning shiny look and my finger tip feels so slick on the barrel after push the pellet in, that means it just sit so well each time and flush the skirt to the barrel perfectly.

Then the H&N is my latest purchase. It fit so well too and looks has better fps and hits harder than others from the noise I heard.

And others 177 I will save for my P3, Hatsan ( my P17 is down, still looking for a way to fix it...) those pellets can't fit well into the HW40 barrel, a little skirt will remain out of the barrel, my finger tip can feel the edge of it. Some are sharp, can't cut my finger yet but would hurt the o ring I think...

Sent from my LG cellphone

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:17 am 
Site Moderator

Many wadcutters shoot fine but I prefer domes in my P3 and P17. The domes poke a hole in paper with less chance of ripping a big flap. During the summer I sometimes like to shoot the P-pistols at crazy distances like 40-50yards and the domes are a little flatter shooting.

Crosman Premier Hollow Point
Crosman Premier dome
JSB Exact 8.44gr (or Air Arms brand)
H&N Field Target Trophy (or Daystate Kaiser brand)

None of my P-pistols have sloppy bores. They all require the slight press fit to seat a pellet. The P3 is very slightly tighter than my old P17 but I haven't compared my newer P17 yet. All 3 are good shooters.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:14 am 

Oh, Domes. It looks my Domed pellets are all 22, for my 1322. Never bought 177 so far...

In before I used more pointed pellets. Started from this winter, I shoot more indoors with targets, I like the clean round hole made by the wadcutters so that I can connect my holes to cut a area out from the target. It becomes boring by just shooting the bullseye and after 10 some shots the bullseye will gone, so I have to find some other ways to fully use my targets without wasting any blanks... [emoji16]

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:17 am 

TCooper wrote:
Many wadcutters shoot fine but I prefer domes in my P3 and P17. The domes poke a hole in paper with less chance of ripping a big flap. During the summer I sometimes like to shoot the P-pistols at crazy distances like 40-50yards and the domes are a little flatter shooting.

But you need to put fresh cardboard backing so wadcutters make a nice clean hole. If you got a shot up backing or one with a gaping hole, no matter what you will use, you will get rips and big flap. Esp when just using regular old paper target. Not the card stock ones.

YepYep wrote:
Oh, Domes. It looks my Domed pellets are all 22, for my 1322. Never bought 177 so far...

In before I used more pointed pellets. Started from this winter, I shoot more indoors with targets, I like the clean round hole made by the wadcutters so that I can connect my holes to cut a area out from the target. It becomes boring by just shooting the bullseye and after 10 some shots the bullseye will gone, so I have to find some other ways to fully use my targets without wasting any blanks... [emoji16]

Buy a roll of sticker targets.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:15 pm 

Yeah, I am using the sticker targets. But not the roll type, the 20$ 25 sheets from Amazon. I planned to buy some more smaller size as I found the bullseye looks more usable for my purpose now. The bigger (4 inch size) one can be used on sight in the new guns...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender