Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:25 pm 

Is it possible to create piston seals yourself?...Or is the design too intricate to copy with hand tools.Has anyone done this?GRAVEL Agency always seems to be out of seals. :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:26 pm 

I have yet to make one for a Crosman break barrel, but I made one in Teflon for a Daisy 450, which is a springer gun (like a Red ryder). It works pretty well. Also saw some people make them out of duro 90 urethane, or even nylon or Delrin.

Attachments:
IMG_5380.JPG
IMG_5380.JPG [ 190.5 KiB | Viewed 1053 times ]
IMG_5359.JPG
IMG_5359.JPG [ 241.45 KiB | Viewed 1053 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:54 pm 

Well you did a darn good job.....looks great......where would one buy urethane for this project?....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:10 am 

I bought the Teflon at my local metal supplier, so maybe you could look in your area, or check online. Maybe a Guru here will chime in with an interesting info!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:58 am 
Supporting Member 2009

Gravel will order them in, takes a few weeks to get back ordered items. For what they cost, you are likely better off buying them. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, tools and equipment to make them.
You could always try Scopes and Ammo, or other business selling Crosman parts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:37 am 

I wanted to try this, Moly core seal.

https://www.airgunsource.ca/en/vortek-c ... -25mm.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:59 am 

airmec wrote:

I bought the Teflon at my local metal supplier, so maybe you could look in your area, or check online. Maybe a Guru here will chime in with an interesting info!

Thanks....I'll check it out...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:01 pm 

Woody wrote:
Gravel will order them in, takes a few weeks to get back ordered items. For what they cost, you are likely better off buying them. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, tools and equipment to make them.
You could always try Scopes and Ammo, or other business selling Crosman parts.

Yes....I'll probably have to wait for a backorder from gravel agency but in the meantime its a hobby to try and make one....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:03 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
I wanted to try this, Moly core seal.

https://www.airgunsource.ca/en/vortek-c ... -25mm.html

Yes they look interesting......makes you wonder though if they're worth the price.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:09 pm 

I've made leather seals which is relatively easy, but you don't need much in the way of fancy tools like you would with synthetics.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:11 pm 

Awesome airmec! I always wanted to make some to my specs, basically just less dead air space than the oem. You could no doubt sell these puppies....
OP: I'd consider sanding the orig seal to possibly save it, which I've done, and can explain how if you want to try. Otherwise I'd just order from Gravel Agency, should ~$2.30CA? Btw I still sand new ones b/c they work better that way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:15 pm 

Thanks for the good words Chevota!

As an experiment, I just made a Teflon seal for a Relum Taurus .177 break barrel air rifle. That rifle used a leather seal, and it was in good condition, but I wanted to see if the new seal would make a difference. The rifle was shooting in the low 400s, I'm pretty curious to see if there will be an improvement on the velocity. The seal is 1/4'' thick, and 26 mm in diameter, the face is 0.010'' higher than the lip and screw head. I'm not quite finished working on the rifle, but I'll report my results as soon as I can. If the test is positive, I may well try it on one of my Crosman break barrel, just to see if there would be a difference between the OEM seal and a Teflon one.

Attachments:
IMG_5655.JPG
IMG_5655.JPG [ 219.8 KiB | Viewed 532 times ]
IMG_5656.JPG
IMG_5656.JPG [ 111.45 KiB | Viewed 532 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:52 am 

Well that seal is working rather well! I've put together the rifle and it went from 411 avg. fps (with the leather seal) to 467 avg fps with a JSB Exact RS 7.33 grains domed pellet. I now know that I can use that design and material when one of my other break barrel seal goes bad 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:06 am 

Interesting work!

Is the piston seal straight walled, or did you incorporate a taper to the sides?

Nice gain in performance. Has the firing cycle smoothed out a bit over the leather seal?

Well done!

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:08 am 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Interesting work!

Is the piston seal straight walled, or did you incorporate a taper to the sides?

Nice gain in performance. Has the firing cycle smoothed out a bit over the leather seal?

Well done!

-D.S.

Thanks Doc!

The first 1/16'' of the side wall (the upper edge) is straight, then it tapers following a 2° angle, just enough to clear the comp. tube wall. And yes the firing cycle is smoother than it was, while having more power. Best of both world :) There's much less ''front'' recoil, better damping at the end of the compression stroke. It's obvious the new seal is doing its job much better than the old leather one, but I guess the new O-ring breech seal also helps.