Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:36 pm 

I’m looking for an HPA tank regulated to 1100-1300 psi. I see that there are options to buy regulators already set at that level (Ninja, Air Venturi, etc), but if I can avoid it I can pick up a guardian brand HPA tank set at 800 psi for pennies.

Anyone have experience adjusting the output on Guardian regulators? Am I likely to be able to raise it to 1100 psi with shims, or will I have to use Belleville washers?

I know that the exact level of adjustment will vary from regulator to regulator, but are most paintball tanks similar as far as adjustment? As in similar size springs or Belleville washers?

For those that have adjusted regulators to a higher output, would you try it again or just buy the right tank in the first place? This is a budget build, so looking to shave dollars where I can.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:34 am 

https://youtu.be/h91iIVOJ7JU
Here is a good videos on how to adjust. Like you sd it varies from one another but you will likely get to close to what you want.
Might take a few disassembly but it is doable without too much trial and error. Most od the 850 psi output regs can be set higher without too much effort. Just get the right ize bllville washer

Weirhauch HW100 .22
Gamo Expomatic .177
Benjamin Marauder DougP custom stock
Theoben SlR98 .22
AlEx Custom gun .22 (JezX built masterpiece) :)
Hatsan Atp2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:23 pm 

Well, picked up my belleville washers and couldn't wait to see what's up. Once I opened up the regulator, I was surprised by 2 things. One, the washers I got were way too big. Two, the regulator was already using 12 light belleville washers as a spring pack with no shims to achieve 800 psi.

Using some laminated card stock cut to shape, I slowly added shims to up the pressure. I've got it up to around 1000 psi, but any more shims and it fails to regulate at all. Ask me how many burst disks I needed for this lesson...

Anyway, I got the airgun from 9 fpe to 12 fpe (14" barrel). I was hoping for at least 14, but the accuracy and shot count are so good that I may leave it like this for a while. Even with 8 mildots of holdover, I could still hit a target repeatedly at 75 yards. Almost 100 consistent shots on the 13 ci tank.

Also, shout out to AirgunSource.ca for my sweet new FX hand pump.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:36 pm 

not all reg's are made to handle very high output..that's why they make certain HO reg's for that purpose
hence your burst disks going, be thankful they went rather then something ells...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:21 pm 

So with 4 shims of JUST the right size, I’ve got the stock Belleville washer stack (originally 800psi) at around 1500 psi. Or at least that’s where the rifle falls off the regulator. There is about a 5% increase in regulated pressure from 1500-3000, but with hammer-spring tuning I can even that out.

I haven’t measured the output pressure yet, but I’ve got a 1.8k burst disk should it fail.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:18 pm 

Good work! That's sort of where I'd like mine to be as well so I can use a 1.8k burst disk. Right now I've got an 1800psi regulator and a 1200psi coming and would like to get one somewhere in the middle, though maybe with some tuning the 1200psi would be perfect, not sure. My 1800psi one is reading 1600 on my test gauge but I'm a little scared to stick the 1.8k burst disk in to test it, could be a bang!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:08 pm 

I used some thicker belleville washers .032 but only 10 and one .01 shim
and the output is right on 1200psi. they are arranged like this..)()()()()(
hope this helps. Took some trial and error and also a few 1800 burst disks.LOL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:33 pm 

My new 1200psi regulator came. Haven't tested it yet. Interestingly it came with a 3k burst disc. Luckily I have some 1.8k to switch it with.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:53 am 

scottbvre wrote:
Took some trial and error and also a few 1800 burst disks.LOL

:lol:

Monitoring output pressure AS you fill is the key to not blowing the disks. If you go over what you're trying to get for a set point, easy enough to stop and drain.

Al