Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: What a HW45!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:39 am 

So far put about 100 or maybe 150 shots through the gun mostly using half power in order to burn out the diseling... And the gun looks much better now. As said it might need about 200 to 500 for this and about 1000 shots to break in the gun?! How did you do?

And I really find that shooting this gun is so much challenging and rewards!

After about half an hour in setting up the trigger then tried many ways to hold the gun, plus it's breaking in step and step, so far from 5 meters away, I can make it about 2 inches groups and the rear sight adjustment was reset to factory almost ( in the beginning, it shot very low and I turned it up for almost 3 rounds... ). Can't imagine in the beginning, the pellets spreaded all over the 4 inches size target plus many fliers....

And I can see the potential of this gun is just super! Although in my very large grouping, I usually got 2 or 3 pellets hit very close to the same point.... So I think if I can manage to repeating let the pellet leaves the muzzle at the same condition, I might be hitting the same hole each time... The bad grouping is all my fault!

It's all about half power and the recoil just so much less. I will focus on this for a while then start to challenge the full power after the gun breaks in.

In the full power several shot I tried last night, the recoil just so strong and I can feel the force slam my gun to the right... Any one can explain why to the right? The spring is moving from muzzle to the hand, but the muzzle was pushing to the right... Because of the rifle thread?

Sent from my LG cellphone

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:56 am 

YepYep wrote:
In the full power several shot I tried last night, the recoil just so strong and I can feel the force slam my gun to the right... Any one can explain why to the right? The spring is moving from muzzle to the hand, but the muzzle was pushing to the right... Because of the rifle thread?

Grip. Like a powder burning it will jump, AKA recoil. If its jumping to the right, you probably thumbing or using too much trigger finger.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:04 am 

So, I should use my left hand fingers to cover my right hand on the bottom of the right side of handle tighter, but not place too much force from the right thumb I used to press on the upper part of the left side of handle, right?

What should the gun react if I gripping it correctly?

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:13 am 

YepYep wrote:
So, I should use my left hand fingers to cover my right hand on the bottom of the right side of handle tighter, but not place too much force from the right thumb I used to press on the upper part of the left side of handle, right?

Correct because what you are doing is inserting your trigger finger too much, and what this is doing when you are squeezing it, your thumb is tightening up as well. Causing it to rotate to the right. If you do everything right should be in the center.

I feel because your gripping the HW40/P17/2240s lightly because no recoil. So when you shooting the HW45 on max and got more recoil, its causing you to rotate and notice different POI.

I see that with myself when I shoot 22 and move to my 9mm. I grip my 22 lighter than I do my 9mm.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:23 am 

If you have an extra $150usd And you're serious about getting good.
You should look at the MANTISX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:35 am 

HuskyDude wrote:
If you have an extra $150usd And you're serious about getting good.
You should look at the MANTISX
We got digital life everywhere now ~ next time we can use 150 thousands / millions to add a chip in the brain or replace with an electric eye etc....

But it looks using such a system on air guns is an over kill??

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:43 am 

leadslinger wrote:
YepYep wrote:

Correct because what you are doing is inserting your trigger finger too much, and what this is doing when you are squeezing it, your thumb is tightening up as well. Causing it to rotate to the right. If you do everything right should be in the center.

I feel because your gripping the HW40/P17/2240s lightly because no recoil. So when you shooting the HW45 on max and got more recoil, its causing you to rotate and notice different POI.

I see that with myself when I shoot 22 and move to my 9mm. I grip my 22 lighter than I do my 9mm.
Yeah, will try to fix it ~ still developing the experience on it!

So, it's true or false that we need to grip harder on guns with bigger power or not??

Actually I don't feel very comfortable to grip it too hard as my aiming will then move unexpectedly... Maybe I should use more force to pull my right straight arm to the body with my left arm, but just sit the gun in my hands and holding it like the P17 something?

I read some articles regarding the recoils... Remember some mentioned when the recoil comes to your hand, actually the bullet already left the muzzle, so it won't affect the accuracy... But don't know if the pellet with just 400fps is same?!

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:52 pm 

My HW45, and some of my other pistols, require a slightly different grip to cope with the recoil direction. Use less fingers on your grip, and your consistency may improve. I was having similar issues with my HW, until I got a clue from a well-informed airgunner who'd had one for years. I tried his suggestion on a couple of different pistols that had "unconventional" recoil (like a Webley MK1, a Tempest and a Predom Lucznik-the Walthers LP53 copy). Wow- suddenly I'm getting tighter groups.
The HW's a big pistol, but well balanced. Try just using your second finger and thumb to hold the pistol. If that's too awkward, add your third finger only. This looser grip allows the pistol to react more naturally to the direction of recoil. Too tight a grip intererferes with this, and causes unpredictable POIs. As I was told, don't try to strangle it...
It seems counter-intuitive, but it works...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:13 pm 

I agree with 57scott most stringers do not like to be held tight...
in your case since the HW45 is new to you your best bet is to try
different grip and hold positions until you find the one that works best for you
be prepared your gonna to be going through a bit of led :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:53 pm 

Thanks guys ~

What I need looks is trying, trying and keep trying ~

Pellet consumption is good ~ so that I can keep buying the new pellets ~

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:32 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

There is good reading about the shooting characteristics of the HW45 in this link.
http://www.eddiecolwell.tzo.com/HW45/HW ... Cooper.pdf

By the way, I find that it is easier for me to be accurate with my HW45 when I use the full power all the time. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:38 pm 

under500fps wrote:
There is good reading about the shooting characteristics of the HW45 in this link.
Yep ~ read it before I made my purchase ~

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:39 pm 

YepYep wrote:
under500fps wrote:
Yep ~ read it before I made my purchase ~

And it's nice to read it again after I have my hands on experience right now ~

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:31 pm 

Interesting! Very interesting!!

I tried some shots holding, actually it not holding just let the gun sit in my hand, when pulling the trigger, the muzzle just shake a little bit, no jumping at all.... Looks it's not the recoil jumped the gun, it's myself push the gun to aside....

Although still not accurately hitting what I aimed at all, I will keep practice!

But it's just feels strange to shoot without holding the gun..... [emoji29]

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:32 am 

YepYep wrote:
Interesting! Very interesting!!

I tried some shots holding, actually it not holding just let the gun sit in my hand, when pulling the trigger, the muzzle just shake a little bit, no jumping at all.... Looks it's not the recoil jumped the gun, it's myself push the gun to aside....

Although still not accurately hitting what I aimed at all, I will keep practice!

But it's just feels strange to shoot without holding the gun..... [emoji29]

Like I said thumbing/too much trigger finger.