Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:02 am 

Yes.....they do....I did this test to see if these two types of hollow points (I had on hand) would expand at only 650 fps. I read somewhere that you need very high velocity to actually get expansion but I guess that's only true with SOME types of pellets....Unfortunately I don't have any non pal guns to test even lower velocities at 480 fps or so to check for expansion.....
Notice both types expanded to a larger diameter than the .22 cal pellet shown for comparison....pretty cool...

Attachments:
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 25.64 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 18.07 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:20 pm 

The expansion depends entirely on the medium you use to test it.... The harder the material, the lower the penetration, and the more expansion you will see.... Water has the least expansion, ballistics gel next, melt-and-pour soap more, and things like paraffin wax, duct seal, phone books or wood a LOT more.... and of course steel just flattens the pellets out, regardless of their shape....

Here are some tests of .177 Hollowpoints I did a few years back in soap.... These were at 7 FPE (598-666 fps) in the top of the block (order is from right to left) and 9 FPE (679-755 fps) in the bottom (order is from left to right).... The last one in each row, with the deepest penetration (and no expansion) is a JSB Express 7.8 gr. for comparison.... At 7 FPE (635 fps) it penetrated 45 mm.... my tests were done at point-blank range....

Here are the recovered pellets from the above tests.... 7 FPE in the top tow, 9 FPE in the bottom row.... From left to right, they are....
RWS SuperHollowPoint.... H&N Terminator.... Crosman Destroyer (628 & 712 fps).... Predator Polymag.... H&N Crow Magum.... (JSB Express not shown)....

On the other hand, the test below was with a non-PAL .177.... There was absolutely no expansion with any pellet....

I like using the soap because it is consistent, temperature doesn't matter like with ballistics gel or plumber's putty, and it's clear so you can photograph the wound cavities.... plus it's reusable.... just melt it and re-cast a new block....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:56 pm 

Nice....very telling pictures.....yes I will switch to soap....modelling clay gets pretty "tough" in our temperatures up north....penetration was about 2 inches with hollow points mentioned.....how that compares to small game animal tissue though is another question...what medium I wonder would closely resemble pheasant, squirrel, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:47 pm 

IMO Ballistics Gel is representative of "guts", but too soft for muscle, and certainly for bone.... I think the melt-and-pour soap is pretty good overall.... A high velocity .22LR solid 40 gr. penetrates about 11" in it....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!