Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:18 pm 

Any ideas on who in Canada might have a tuning kit for my .22? I just bought it, but would like to take it apart and polish/ lube etc. Figured if there is a kit available I'd put it in...thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:28 pm 

I have a Remington Express wood in .177. I know of no tuning kits made for it. Mine came with a faulty piston seal. (Torn on installation). A seal for Diana 34 or Ruger fits. I tuned my rifle myself. If you do the tune yourself, the safety is difficult to remove. The rifle cannot be disassembled until the safety is removed. It's easy once you understand the sequence. Google is your friend. You will need a spring compressor.
That little lever beside the safety release resets the safety and the sear to its original starting position in the case of a balk fire. That's why it's so hard to move. It's moving the sear to the start of the first stage against the pressure of a fully compressed mainspring. If you haven't taken up the first stage, it simply resets the safety. I never use it, but it is a cool design.
My rifle was a little better finished internally than other Chinese entry-level spring piston rifles I have been inside of. Turned out to be a very nice shooter.
I ordered the piston seal from Rob Mazur at R&R Airguns in Manitoba.

I'm not multitasking. I'm doing something else until I remember what I was doing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:14 am 

Fantastic information. Thank you. Would the piston seal be the same on my .22 as it is on your .177?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:28 pm 

josh1976 wrote:
Fantastic information. Thank you. Would the piston seal be the same on my .22 as it is on your .177?

Yes.

I'm not multitasking. I'm doing something else until I remember what I was doing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:16 pm 

It's a chinese clone of the Diana 34, so 34 parts will work. Generally when a place like Vortek says "28mm" it's a Diana 34/350 seal. The Rem seals are horrible, i attached a pix of mine.
The spring too, which is very low quality, so a Vortek or whatever spring would be good. Not sure about a Vortek kit b/c the pistons ID may be different.

Attachments:
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 91.07 KiB | Viewed 544 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:39 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

There's a Russian seller on eBay selling Vado seals for Diana 28mm guns. Just over $20 for 2, delivered. Haven't installed one yet, so can't comment on the quality.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:06 pm 

http://www.airrifletuning.com/product/r ... uning-kit/

Tinbum Tuning. Very popular in the UK.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:00 pm 

timmytree wrote:
http://www.airrifletuning.com/product/remington-express-maxi-tuning-kit/

42.95 Pounds = 74.44 CND plus shipping brokerage and duty and tax so over 100$ cnd is it worth it to have a good kit?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:53 pm 

FRANK wrote:
timmytree wrote:
http://www.airrifletuning.com/product/remington-express-maxi-tuning-kit/

42.95 Pounds = 74.44 CND plus shipping brokerage and duty and tax so over 100$ cnd is it worth it to have a good kit?

Check the website, Nick will make parts to fit your existing spring if thats what you want.
It's another option for you to look at. Just trying to help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:03 am 

With an internal tune (polishing, etc) and a re-lube with moly paste, piston liner, standard spring, mine chronos 880 fps with 8.4 gr pellets. While more velocity may be obtainable with an aftermarket spring, it shoots very smooth at 880 fps. When the factory spring breaks, I'll replace it with an original or equivalent. Every one of my other high velocity rifles has been detuned to its sweet spot. This rifle seems to have hit it with a standard spring and tune. Save yourself $100 and do it yourself.
You don't need to work on the trigger, just adjust it. It's an outstanding trigger when adjusted properly. Lots of info on the net.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:01 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

FRANK wrote:

That's about the going price for a good kit. I just got JM kit for Diana 34, it was $79US + shipping. Haven't installed it yet (it's on my long list), so I can't answer if it's worth it or not.
Seeing as a Chinese spring goes for $40+Shipping in Canada, a good quality spring with well made guides and some Tar may be worth the price. I've read many good reviews on the quality of JM springs. Hopefully it's worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:19 pm 

I forgot to add that while it's a Diana 34 clone, it does have a very different trigger. My guess is it's cheaper to make than most Diana clones like the Ruger Blackhawk. It seems to be based on the Rekord, which is good since the other cheap Diana clone trigger like the Octane uses is lame. So I'm glad they actually tried with this design rather than cut all corners and screw the end user.
As for the kit, I'd pass and just buy a new main seal + a home tune, optionally get a spring. Like ricksplace, it'll work until it breaks and likely be smoother shooting than a full power spring, just depends on what you want. Certainly won't hurt to try it b4 you buy an expensive spring.
The spring looks pretty bad too, and this pix is out of the box, I never cocked it. Not sure if it's as disfunctional as it looks but generally when they aren't straight it's a sign it's heat treat and/or metal is poor which causes the weakest spots of the wire to bend more and cause what you see. If so it'll get weaker than expected with use since there are more weak spots. Being all crooked like that will no doubt drag more on the liner which may reduce twang, but I'd still make a plastc liner for it which will both quiet it and reduce friction.
Vortek sells a variety of springs for the 34 @ ~$20US, + whatever ship and other bs you gotta pay. I'd think it would end up less than the $40+ Woody mentioned? Plus you get a real spring.
The barrel pointed off to the right quite a bit, more that any gun I've see so far. The Xfer port was uglier than normal, as was the breech surface so I suggest smoothing both. The breech seal was flush with the block so it would not have sealed as it was. So some things to look for...
Attached are a pix of my trigger, spring and parts sketches I got from somewhere, if anyone is interested.
As for the trigger, it just needs a little adjusting to get it reasonable, which if I recall was removing one or two of those lock washers stacked up front. Maybe use a custom stack of thinner one b/c I remember removing one washer was a very course adj. Optionally you can add a screw like how I do my "Mod 4" to a Crosman trigger. It'll make sense once you see it apart.

Attachments:
Untitled 1.jpg
Untitled 1.jpg [ 116.45 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]
Remington Express.jpg
Remington Express.jpg [ 255.22 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]
Remington Express Trigger.jpg
Remington Express Trigger.jpg [ 121.67 KiB | Viewed 382 times ]