Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.






Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: MP-512P .177 call.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 133
I just received my MP-512P .177 air rifle from Baikal Canada and I wanted to try it ASAP.
https://baikal.myshopify.com/products/mp-512p
The metal parts are not polished beyond tumbling and are finished with a thin black color that comes through as matte – the “usual” Baikal finishing . I wanted to scope the rifle ASAP and because the rifle does have dovetail I put a Hawken 4x32 Airmax scope.
This is a low-to-moderate air rifle power-wise. I expect to see the lighter-weight pellets shooting in the low- to mid- 490s but I don't have a chronograf to check it.
The firing behavior of my rifle is very buzzy but Baikal has the reputation of making some of the world’s finest-quality sporting barrels so I wanted to see the accuracy.
The trigger is very heavy as it comes from the factory.
One reason for their lower popularity is probably due to the power they develop. These are not magnum air rifles by any standard. They shoot .177 pellets in the 495 f.p.s.max region but offer some times a superior accuracy at a very nice price.
When I started the rifle was rested directly on the bag and all shooting was done at 10 meters.
I'm shooting a 5-shot group, not 10.
The first pellet I tried was RWS Hobby and while that’s not the tightest group, it does indicate the MP-512P wants to shoot.
I tried a different different pellets...
At this point I would have to say I am happy with the test results.
There is no doubt that the MP-512Pis an accurate spring piston air rifle. At the price it seems like the best deal in town.
No doubt the MP-512P rifle can be modified and tuned to be a wonderful air rifle.


Attachments:
IMG_2093.jpg
IMG_2093.jpg [ 116.82 KiB | Viewed 560 times ]
IMG_2092.jpg
IMG_2092.jpg [ 110.22 KiB | Viewed 560 times ]
IMG_2088.jpg
IMG_2088.jpg [ 58.27 KiB | Viewed 560 times ]


Last edited by bordam on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MP-512P .177 call.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 133
bordam wrote:
I just received my MP-512P .177 air rifle from Baikal Canada and I wanted to try it ASAP.
https://baikal.myshopify.com/products/mp-512p
The metal parts are not polished beyond tumbling and are finished with a thin black color that comes through as matte – the “usual” Baikal finishing . I wanted to scope the rifle ASAP and because the rifle does have dovetail I put a Hawken 4x32 Airmax scope.
This is a low-to-moderate air rifle power-wise. I expect to see the lighter-weight pellets shooting in the low- to mid- 490s but I don't have a chronograf to check it.
The firing behavior of my rifle is very buzzy but Baikal has the reputation of making some of the world’s finest-quality sporting barrels so I wanted to see the accuracy.
The trigger is very heavy as it comes from the factory.
One reason for their lower popularity is probably due to the power they develop. These are not magnum air rifles by any standard. They shoot .177 pellets in the 495 f.p.s.max region and offer superior accuracy at a very nice price.
When I started the rifle was rested directly on the bag.
I'm shooting a 5-shot group, not 10.
The first pellet I tried was RWS Hobby and while that’s not the tightest group, it does indicate the MP-512P wants to shoot.
I tried a different different pellets...
At this point I would have to say I am happy with the test results.
There is no doubt that the MP-512Pis an accurate spring piston air rifle. At the price it seems like the best deal in town.
No doubt the MP-512P rifle can be modified and tuned to be a wonderful air rifle.


Attachments:
IMG_2094.jpg
IMG_2094.jpg [ 105.08 KiB | Viewed 558 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MP-512P .177 call.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:46 am
Posts: 4052
don't believe you mentioned the distance those groupings where taken from...that makes a big difference

_________________
"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MP-512P .177 call.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 133
Ace wrote:
don't believe you mentioned the distance those groupings where taken from...that makes a big difference

10 meters. sorry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MP-512P .177 call.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:46 am
Posts: 4052
decent grouping for 10m,.. 8)

_________________
"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MP-512P .177 call.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:45 pm
Posts: 758
Location: Toronto
I have little knowledge of springers other than they need more technique for accurate shooting.this is an attractive light-weight rifle compared to the more industrial looks of other Baikal products.
Hope you can soon offer some off rest shooting results.I shoot pumpers with elbows braced on a surface but not a full rest. Is this a single feed pellet? What drawbacks in addition to hard trigger pull? Loudness?
Baikal site has little info on any products. $110 plus $20 for shipping in the GTA and no tax seems enticing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MP-512P .177 call.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 133
drawbacks - looks and feels cheap. The stock is made from many peases tightened with screws and they are moving - not a good idea for accuracy.
It is loud from the main spring when you fire it.
Because Baikal is famous for exellent barrels I wanted to see how it will shoot.
It shoot verry well but you have to make sure you keep the stock in the same way every time etc....
I will try to do something for the stock and for the main spring - to calm down everithing....it is like a project gun...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MP-512P .177 call.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:23 pm
Posts: 3066
Location: Northern Ontario
There are gas rams available for it. Might not be as loud.

_________________
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MP-512P .177 call.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:06 pm
Posts: 820
Location: Meaford, Ont.
bordam wrote:
bordam wrote:
I just received my MP-512P .177 air rifle from Baikal Canada and I wanted to try it ASAP.
https://baikal.myshopify.com/products/mp-512p
The metal parts are not polished beyond tumbling and are finished with a thin black color that comes through as matte – the “usual” Baikal finishing . I wanted to scope the rifle ASAP and because the rifle does have dovetail I put a Hawken 4x32 Airmax scope.
This is a low-to-moderate air rifle power-wise. I expect to see the lighter-weight pellets shooting in the low- to mid- 490s but I don't have a chronograf to check it.
The firing behavior of my rifle is very buzzy but Baikal has the reputation of making some of the world’s finest-quality sporting barrels so I wanted to see the accuracy.
The trigger is very heavy as it comes from the factory.
One reason for their lower popularity is probably due to the power they develop. These are not magnum air rifles by any standard. They shoot .177 pellets in the 495 f.p.s.max region and offer superior accuracy at a very nice price.
When I started the rifle was rested directly on the bag.
I'm shooting a 5-shot group, not 10.
The first pellet I tried was RWS Hobby and while that’s not the tightest group, it does indicate the MP-512P wants to shoot.
I tried a different different pellets...
At this point I would have to say I am happy with the test results.
There is no doubt that the MP-512Pis an accurate spring piston air rifle. At the price it seems like the best deal in town.
No doubt the MP-512P rifle can be modified and tuned to be a wonderful air rifle.

Those the 10 X10cm - 250 for $5. targets? I bought 2500 of them. Build two pellet traps out of stove boxes, duct seal and s-cleat as the paper slide in system.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MP-512P .177 call.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 133
Yes the targets are 10x10 cm. - the oficial air rifle 10 meter targets.
Because the rifle wants to shoot I decided to do something for it.
I already ordered the gas spring and I asked for 495fps max speed directly from Ukaina.
Today I found a laminate stock for it - "from Russia with love"... :lol:

https://prikladov.ru/price/priklad-cevi ... 12268.html

it is in russian buth you can see the pics. and the price is OK - 75$ canadian and with the shipping 115$ total.

We will see...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO