Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Do I want a springer?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:42 am 

I shoot at home up to 25 feet with Crosman 760 and Umarex NXG APX -both easy and accurate pumpers. I don't have a chance to plink at outdoor targets (tin cans, etc.) only paper targets and accuracy is a must .So, will a low cost springer-( light weight, composite stock) present too much challenge for this purpose? I have reviewed the Stoeger X3, Baikal MP512P , Ruger Explorer and Diana Panther 21 as fitting my requirements.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:59 am 

Do you know anyone in the area you could borrow one from ? Have you shot a springer before ? I'm not sure you will like the recoil.
I have a full size BSA 22cal springer with a bug buster scope on it. I can drop it off later on if you want to try it for a week.
I don't know what the reviews are like but usually you can't go wrong with a Diana.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:29 am 

Seems to me the lower powered springers are easier to get accuracy out of cause the spring isn't bouncing the gun this way and that so much. I had a deadly accurate springer as a kid, no problem hitting sparrows and barn swallows at 25 yards, and never experienced the jumping in the hands everyone talks about with the high powered springers. If you are looking are target shooting at close range, seems like a nonpal version would be best, but maybe that's what you are looking for anyway. [emoji846]

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:06 pm 

Ruger airhawk is surprising accuracy once you learn how it likes to be shot. Not sure you can match a pneumatic though. Springers are fun though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:11 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Ruger airhawk is surprising accuracy once you learn how it likes to be shot. Not sure you can match a pneumatic though. Springers are fun though.

You must have gotten lucky with your airhawk. mine was junk.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:43 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
jckstrthmghty wrote:

You must have gotten lucky with your airhawk. mine was junk.

Fit and finish is somewhat to be desired but it is indeed accurate. At 10m it definitely stacks pellets. My other 34 clone, the umarex surge is not even close to the in accuracy even after a vortek upgrade. Flyers happen but it does try it's best to mimic the tuned tx I have.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:16 pm 

Dave

PM'd you earlier. I also have a Diana 24 and Slavia 630, both non pal, at 25ft, neither are pellet picky, everything shots well in the same hole.
My Diana 350 is very pellet picky, and even with pellets it likes, very hard to keep accuracy.
Very little to no recoil on the sub 500 guns, pulled every gun apart, sand, lived and sleeved with buttons.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:14 pm 

I think short-range paper punching is where a springer shines. The recoil makes it a challenge, but that's what makes it addictive. Any time I try shooting my PCP indoors, I drill the bullseye ten times then get bored.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:00 pm 

Yes, In general speaking springers under 500fps are short-range paper punching guns.
You can find a low price accurate air rifles for that but you need luck.
The MP-512P that I just bought is one like that - it shoots, just shoots accurately but who knows the next one?
I bought it because I saw this report:

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/12 ... le-part-2/

lok at the second group with Crosman Premier 7.9 pellets. If you ignore the one hole - up and left the rest is four pellets in to 0.149" at 30 yards!!! :o
This is a group for a very accurate PCP rifle.
So I decided to try MP-512P and it is a shooter too.
I remember My Walther LG55 Match target rifle to outshoot my Feinverkbau 300S any day with easy and that meens - one pellet diameter hole at 10 metters.
So you can find accurate springers but you need luck and then you have to learn how to shoot them accurately.
The good think with them is - they are always ready to shoot no need of CO2 or compressor...., just pellets.
Look at TX200 - it is as accurate as PCP up to 40 yards. and it is one of the finest rifle ever build.
Good luck for your next rifle (the springer) :D

Borislav

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:44 pm 

My HW97KT will not shoot sub 1/2" at 30, I am sure (maybe?), but I have chest and head shot gophers to 56 yards
with it.
It really likes the JSB Green Tin Cometa 4.51's. There are two groups with those noted at 20yards. they are .119" on centres, and .157" on centres. both 5-shot groups.

There are other pellets it shoots fairly well, too, as shown.

Attachments:
HW97 20 yards.jpg
HW97 20 yards.jpg [ 65.5 KiB | Viewed 617 times ]
Flies001_zps46b5d72f.jpg
Flies001_zps46b5d72f.jpg [ 71.28 KiB | Viewed 617 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:11 pm 

HW97KT Image

Rifle of choice...Tell ya I would trade up a few of my pistols for one.
I know its an old video but after watching it again I did notice it does have a 97K in it too. Springers are good... Underlever springers are best...Right?

Break Barrel vs Underlever Air rifles (Nov 2017)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:21 pm 

HuskyDude wrote:
HW97KT Image

Rifle of choice...Tell ya I would trade up a few of my pistols for one.
I know its an old video but after watching it again I did notice it does have a 97K in it too. Springers are good... Underlever springers are best...Right?

Break Barrel vs Underlever Air rifles (Nov 2017)

They may be a few side levers that would dispute that statement.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:49 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
They may be a few side levers that would dispute that statement.

Opps... :mrgreen: Ya you're right...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:48 am 

Having a fixed barrel is key here to avoid barrel droop [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk