Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Beeman QB Chief Mods
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:22 pm 

I thought I would start a thread on the QB Chief and mods that us owners of this fine rifle have done to it.
On the one that I have done to mine so far are:
1 . The trigger adjustments to shorten the pull and adjust the pressure of the pull .
2. The hammer spring shortening . I took apart the hammer and spring to polish and shorten the spring one coil
length to make it flatter as Bob (The Cookie Monster) suggest to change the power of the shot curve .
3. I also found that I had an old CT Beeman 22 break barrel sitting in my collection of old used rifles that had a nice black
muzzle break on it . So since both are 14 mm barrels . I swapped them out . Before the swap the gun had a good
little bark to it . The muzzle break seams to have softened it enough to make it more back yard friendly.
If anyone has done upgrades or mods to their rifle , then I would like to hear about it .

Post subject: Re: Beeman QB Chief Mods
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:46 pm 

Quote:
I also found that I had an old CT Beeman 22 break barrel sitting in my collection of old used rifles that had a nice black
muzzle break on it . So since both are 14 mm barrels . I swapped them out . Before the swap the gun had a good
little bark to it . The muzzle break seams to have softened it enough to make it more back yard friendly.
If anyone has done upgrades or mods to their rifle , then I would like to hear about it .

I don't yet have any contribution to make. I have just today placed an order for one in .22cal from Canada Shooting Supply. I think your idea of gathering all the Beeman QB Chief (Industy Brand or SAG ) repair or mods information into one dedicated Topic is a great idea. Already there's a Thread that was started here previously a few weeks ago about the airgun's air 'leaking' issues and what users have been doing to correct. Sharing parts sourcing could also be usefull since we don't have the same access as the US or UK airgun community notwithstanding the fact that they are available but at a premium because of currency exchange not very favorable to our Canuck!!

I note that you undertook to swap a plastic cocking aid/ Front sight post found on the muzzle-end of a Beeman Break Barrel airgun commonly sold at Canadian Tire and attached it to the barrel muzzle of your PCP. I would be very interested in understanding how that addition seems to have reduced the loudness of the QB Chief report to make it more backyard friendly.
Thank you.
Hawk-i

KRAL Puncher .177
S.A.G AR2078-B Match .177
Weihrauch HW50S .117
FAS 6004
Webley Hurricane
Weihrauch HW45 SS .22
Daisy Avanti 747
Artemis PP700S-A
'HAVE GUN. WILL SHOOT'

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:04 am 

Better to not discuss those kind of things here, I think, as much as we'd all love to be able to make our air rifles more back yard friendly! I sure envy the Americans in that regard!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:46 pm 

Hi Hawk-i .

The muzzle break that I had was a steel one from a worn out Beeman break barrel that retailed at CT for around $300.00 when new many years ago .
This was a very accurate 22 back in the day . The previous owner shot the hell out of it . The seal was shot and almost impossible to find , so it was no big loss.
I measured the Db with a phone app and found that was around 81 Db. after the break was installed . It seams to have taken the crack out of the noise .
My neighbors are all really nice people and don't mind me practicing in the back yard . They seamed to think it helps keep the magpies away .
I really like this air gun and see it as a real rival to the Discovery . Mine is really holding up well , and I can't wait till spring really comes and I can go golfer shooting at a friends farm .
So far pellet wise I have used; Crosman Premier Gold Tip , Predator Metal Mags , Stoeger X-Hunt , H&N Baracuda Power copper plated , plus the variety pack of Benjamin Discovery 14.4 gr
pellets , and Gamo Rockets . It shoots them all well , but the H&N and Predators the best so far on my home range of 15 meters.
Long range testing this summer will really tell .

Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:20 pm 

reelflyt wrote:
... I can't wait till spring really comes and I can go golfer shooting ..

Sounds like fun! I imagine the trick is to get them right at the end of their swing, as they watch the flight of their ball.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:20 pm 

[emoji1][emoji23] dang auto-correct! That's funny!

I really like the chief, would love to get one some day as well, though I think I'll pass on blasting golfers with it. [emoji5]
80 decibels is not bad, my Qb78 hpa seems to be quite a bit louder than that. at least my ears were ringing yesterday after shooting through the chrony in my basement. Sounds like you got a nice accurate gun there as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:02 am 

wesb2007 wrote:
Better to not discuss those kind of things here, I think, as much as we'd all love to be able to make our air rifles more back yard friendly! I sure envy the Americans in that regard!

Agreed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:36 am 

I live in a wrong place. Here golfer shooting is frowned upon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:41 am 

As to remain on the main topic of this Thread.... reelflyt wrote:
Quote:
I really like this air gun and see it as a real rival to the Discovery

From an overall appearance ie. wood stocks and metal and single shot with 2000psi MAX fill these 2 come close. But I would suggest including the Benjamin Maximus in the ring as a more direct contender...price wise to start. Already the Chief vs Maximus has had their challenges/comparisons put to them with reviewers from across the Border. I don't wish to debate the resulst as I'm bias to the Beeman Chief ( having ordered one) on the trigger group ajustability (not with Maximus) and wood versus synthetic (on the Maximus) as well as a few other considerations personal to myself.
I'm speculating that the Beeman Chief owners could (eventually) be able to adjust the hammer spring with an aftermarket adjustor much like the Crosman Challenger had. That would be a real nice mod instead of 'cutting' the original spring to tune the airgun. Already the Discovery has some aftermarket regulators available..for those that wish to invest...and that puts that entry level PCP further out when comparing with a Beeman QB Chief.

Hawk-i

KRAL Puncher .177
S.A.G AR2078-B Match .177
Weihrauch HW50S .117
FAS 6004
Webley Hurricane
Weihrauch HW45 SS .22
Daisy Avanti 747
Artemis PP700S-A
'HAVE GUN. WILL SHOOT'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:29 am 

Good points. Hawk-i, your chief didn't come with the hammer adjuster? I've heard quite a few guys that bought newer chiefs had the hammer adjuster. The old ones apparently only had the degasser. Maybe you got one of the old stock?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:26 pm 

Hi Gang.

Ya those damn Golfing gofers are a big pest to the local farmers leaving those pesky white balls all over the pastures for the
horses to trip on :oops:
Mine does not have the hammer spring adjuster on it , so I shortened the spring about 6 mm with a propane torch . When I get a
chrony in the future I will set it to the right pressure to give for the most consistent shots . As is now it shoots damn good .
The trigger on the Chief I think is better than the plastic one found on the Maximus and Disco . I found it easy to adjust and set to
my liking .

Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:17 pm 

Hi Again Gang.

I came across this You Tube channel of testing the QB Chief air tube screws https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRGRC7 ... HT9SWBUEQg
I thought it might help anyone interested .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:48 pm 

Great videos.... Lloyd tested my original screws to failure, and then tested replacement high-tensile screws from McMaster-Carr.... The stock pan-head screws didn't impress me with their appearance or poor fit in the holes in the tube.... They didn't quite make it to a 3:1 safety margin, failing at the equivalent of 5700 psi (the gun's recommended fill is 2000 psi).... probably good enough, but the upgraded screws were 50% stronger.... We don't know what the tube is made from, so can't recommend anything higher than the 2000 psi specified by Beeman anyways.... but I'm glad I upgraded the screws....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:44 pm 

We don't know what the tube is made from, so can't recommend anything higher than the 2000 psi specified by Beeman anyways.... but I'm glad I upgraded the screws....

Bob[/quote]

Hi Bob.

Did you go to pan head Philips screws or socket head screws ?

Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:57 pm 

Socket head cap screws.... I actually drilled and tapped the valve and tube for 10-32 SHCSs, which are even stronger than the ones Lloyd tested.... but I had them, and McMaster-Carr don't sell to Canada.... The replacement screws Lloyd tested are M4 x 0.7mm Grade 12.9 SCHSs that are 5mm long.... direct screw in replacement for the stock Beeman pan head screws....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!