Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:27 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Yes - I understand that.

Just stating the causes of barrel wear. As far as any SKS or AK, M16's, etc, their barrels wear prematurely (compared to bolt guns or single shot guns) due to rate of fire more so than fouling

corrosion by primer residue.

As we are concerned with accuracy & bore wear, exactly what the above named guns have little of & do not need due to their intended use.

You can destroy a CF bolt action rifle's barrel in one day at the range through too-fast firing and no cooling off periods - or less than that fast semi-auto fire and even less time with full auto fire.

You are the one in control, which is pretty much the 'jist' of this thread that being, rifling wear, what causes it and how long does it take?

Air rifles likely never WEAR out - and .22RF almost never or bores are worn are worn out by improper cleaning.

CF barrels will never last as long, as far as - "as long" means number of rounds as air guns or rim fire guns.

Some CF barrels will last longer than others - such things as rate of fire, temperature - ambient temp. and barrel temp., case capacity, as in relation to the bore size & to some extent, what type and material of projectile.

If you shot nothing but cast bullets in about any CF rifle, you would likely quadruple the life expectancy of the barrel, at a bare minimum.

The only problem with that is a .303" becomes just as powerful as any .300 ultra-magnum using 3 times as much powder. With jacketed bullets - there is no comparison, but with cast bullets, they

are both held to the same rules of cast bullet velocity with the same bullet weights. Experienced bullet casters can and do 'extra' steps to increase the power of cast bullet loads, to close to

jacketed performance. A good understanding of the intricacies of casting and shooting cast bullet alloys is necessary to take advantage of the capabilities of certain alloy compositions.

If interested in this sort of thing, "Jacketed Bullet Performance with Cast Bullets" by Veral Smith, will teach you how.

Yes ROF can wear down barrels. But NATO we chrome line our barrels to prolong the life of the barrels. Something commercial barrels manufactures don't do. Cost and guess more accurate. But subject to corrosive primers. But alot of the wear from AKs comes down to poor maintenance, sandy environments and well corrosive ammo.

I always get a chuckle someone buying a SKS or Mosin and grab that cheap 762x39 or 762x54R in the paper packaging. Shoot a bunch of rounds, throw it in the safe and next day complain its rusted.

Actually I shot ammo, that wasn't support to be corrosive, But now my 7.62 Israeli Mauser got a pitted section.

Cast loads use less powder than jacketed loads to get the same velocity of jacketed. I only reload now for 9mm, and using powder coated bullets and can go less than the cast load recommendations.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:12 pm 

But I heard that the AKs also famous / have good reputation on its reliable... Saying buried it into the sand, and then dig it out, shake off the sand and dust and you can use it to shoot right away.... And never any other guns can do so... True or lies?!

Of course, I think the most advantage of the AKs are their cheap price ~

Sent from my LG cellphone

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:51 pm 

That 'claim' is very close to the truth, YepYep.

The AK's are a terrifically dependable, cheaply manufactured short range military rifle, quite likely the best of all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:45 pm 

Out of the topic, it looks in the gun / firearms industry, a good design just have a very very long life than all others... Like the AK47, 1911, HW45 etc... We are in Year 2018 already, and they just have been existing for that many years, and looks will be keep on existing forever and no need for any tiny changes on the original design.... As an ex- IT guy, I was shocked about it when I really get into this and learned the history of these guns...

2240+14" barrel/Williams peep sight
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia
P1322 with walnut forearm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:51 pm 

YepYep wrote:
But I heard that the AKs also famous / have good reputation on its reliable... Saying buried it into the sand, and then dig it out, shake off the sand and dust and you can use it to shoot right away.... And never any other guns can do so... True or lies?!

Of course, I think the most advantage of the AKs are their cheap price ~

Truth... The lose tolerance of the parts are the reason.